Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: LEO Free food

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    I pay what I'm billed and tip, or tip heavily. It isn't worth upsetting people, having it become a scene, etc. If the business makes it obvious to others they aren't charging me, I try not to go back.
    Yup.

pat

In chic fillet again today. I may have a chic fillet filet problem. Anyway the guy in front of me started talking on his phone about a court appearance tomorrow. When he pulled his phone out his shirt draped over his grip at 4:00. So when he finished his convo I engaged him a bit about his job and let him know he was exposed. He said he was in some special unit and he arrested a lot of people. So I turned him on to a business that is most likely involved in organized crime. And let him and the other officers know about P-F. We need a referral program that pays in PF Dollars. And a PF dollar store.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

When I was in uniform I paid whatever I was asked to pay. If the owner/manager said it was free I didn’t argue. The waitress always got a generous tip though. One agency here implemented a no discount policy. Several restaurant owners became irate and felt like they were being told what they could and couldn’t do and things got ugly and public. The policy was modified with input from various restaurant owners.

I worked with a guy who would get very loud if he didn’t get “his” discount. He actually had the nerve to tell people he earned that discount and he was entitled to it. The first time I heard his rant was the last time I ever ate with him. We had words about his attitude at the counter in front of the poor kid working the register and the manager. It was Wendy’s. He showed his ass over not getting 50% off a Baconator combo. I have never been so embarrassed by another cops behavior before then or since.

I am grateful for any business that offers a discount. Even though I haven’t worked uniform or had a discount in several years I still appreciate the places and people that offer a discount to us. Many in our profession view a discount as just a small cut, a little bit out of a large profit margin. I view discounts as businesses voluntarily working for less money to show their appreciation. They are sacrificing a portion of their income and livelihood just to say thank you. The least we can do is be gracious and not abuse their generosity.

Student
    In my younger days working behind the counter at Circle K, I didn't notice any patterns on whether the occasional officer passing through would accept a free coffee or fountain drink based on if it was days, nights, or swings. The ones who insisted on paying ended up putting it in the donation boxes we kept in front of the register, so that worked out.

Don't know if it was official policy or whatever. I just noticed our supervisors doing the same thing and copied them.

I did notice that guys passing through after sundown were more likely to commandeer a hot dog or a Tornado but it might have also been due to the fact I usually cleaned the rollers and put on a new batch for some time before they came in.

Who cares? It shouldn't matter as long as it isn't being done with the expectation of special treatment. If someone wants to pay for your food or a business wants to give you a discount then thank them, tell them its appreciated, chat with them for a minute and move on with your day. Citizens want to be able to thank us sometimes and it wins us no friends to be rude and argue with them about it. Its their money. Businesses appreciate us being there, its a deterrent to things happening there for them, sometimes they just have a personal connection or maybe they just want to be nice. Don't go anywhere EXPECTING your meal to be free. If I go somewhere that I know normally gives a discount and its a new person and I get charged full price just pay it, don't ask for the discount or make a scene. It isn't that hard.

The gas station in my zone lets me get cubed ice out of their ice maker to fill up my Lifetime cooler. I buy a 24 pack of water there about once a week and they also let me pre-chill the waters in their large, walk in cooler.

They also let the mail lady, the guy that runs the shop next door, and other regular customers get ice on the free. I don't eat out in uniform and therefore don't partake of meal discounts but I do get free ice. It's more of a regular customer "perk" than a LE gratis thing.

I told the manager of the store I'd pay for the ice but she insisted that it's all good.

Many years ago, I caught a burglar in the act at a lumber/hardware store and when the manager got there to do the report, he saw me looking at the Dewalt stuff. I asked about a store account so that I could buy a Jigsaw and he said to come back on my day off and he'd set me up an account. I said I could pay 50.00 a paycheck and he said that would be fine.

I get there and he hands me a boxed, brand new Jigsaw and said "It's on the house" with a huge grin on his face. It was very awkward but I told him that I couldn't accept it due to the ethical violation but I would pay via a store account like we discussed. He understood and set up my account and I paid it off early.

Some of the local firing ranges/gun stores let us shoot free on Tuesdays....but they also do a Veteran day and other "free" days for others.

And then the Glock Blue Label thing I have partaken of many times.

Regards.

User Tag List