Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: New Ruger Super GP100 Competition Revolver 8-shot 357 5.5"

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    You mean a sleeved barrel? They’ve been doing that on RedHawks for the last few years. S&W ‘s newer revolvers (the 66-8 and 69) have them and Dan Wesson successfully used them for many years although the DW system that allowed interchangeable barrels required the user to set it properly.
    Yes, that is what I mean, but was not aware of the use for the Redhawks.
    I have a M-69, and I also had the Dan Wesson 44mag back in the day. It was a neat system but I only had the one barrel, back when I was a young impoverished gun nut.

This one has been growing, on me. The cuts in the barrel shroud bother me less than before. One does not buy a standard GP100 for its aesthetic beauty, so why should I expect a “Super” GP100 to be any prettier? My local enabler has one in stock. Hmm.

I was able to determine that there is stainless steel, under the PVD coating, a good combination here in the wet, green, swampy part of Texas, near the coast. The intended purpose of the blackness of the coating is to kill glare, during competition. Killing glare seems to be a good idea, outside of competition, too. Aging eyes have more trouble with glare than younger eyes, and the sun does shine harshly upon this part of Texas, in the summertime.

The 47-ounce weight spec will help damp recoil, a good thing for my aging joints. The cuts in the barrel shroud, and the LCR-ish sculpting of the cylinder, keep the weight from reaching three pounds.

I think that I have just about convinced myself. Of course, I blame y’all for bringing the Super GP100 to my attention.

Sigh.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Thanks. If I work with the right manager, however, I can usually get a break, at this LGS, especially for something that is not moving fast. Plus, I might trade something, so I would be inclined to at least see what they can do for me. (OTOH, the market for pre-owned firearms seems soft right now; perhaps a bad time to trade.)

The Super GP100 has competition, too; there is a very tempting pre-owned revolver, that has been sitting inside one of their cases for a very long time.

Thus far, however, I have been successfully resisting the urge, to acquire either one, by staying away.
    Last edited by Rex G; 08-18-2019 at 10:02 AM.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

If they happen to have a P226 SBSS when you go in, let me know. Assuming this is the pusher we discussed previously, I wasn't aware they negotiate; I may have some trade fodder they'd find interesting.
    Not another dime.

Well, I just looked at the weight specifications, for the 5.5” Super GP100, and the 6” GP100, and saw that the Super GP100 is heavier by a mere two ounces. (47 ounces, versus 45 ounces.) Of course, this is comparing a full-lug GP100, with a contoured/shrouded Super GP100. This was, however, a pleasant surprise, though perhaps less pleasant for my wallet. Not that either is exactly something I would regularly wear in a hip holster, but practical as a traveling/field revolving pistol, that can eat from the same ammo bucket as a medium-sized carry sixgun.

It is becoming more difficult to resist.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

The range gun shop has one under the glass. Checked it out tonight. Take away the gills, and it's kinda my dream of an N frame: 8-shot .357 half-lug with modern metal finish. I've even spent too much time researching refinishing an M28.

And it just seemed big, heavy and awkward. Might have been the USPc I was just shooting. Might have been the Nills-inspired wood stock, rather than the one I've bit-by-bit gotten really good on my GP100. It may not be that much heavier than a 6-inch GP, but it feels a lot bigger and more top heavy to me; enough I think I might actually like the GP better. And I'm more of a half-lug fan when it comes to the 6-inch.
    Not another dime.

Well, I Bought One

I made my move, yesterday; going to the LGS, and bringing home the Super GP100, and a pre-owned, pristine Wilson Combat-ized Gen5 G17. A big day! Yes, this is the museum-like LGS in Houston, known for high prices, but they knocked a bit off the Ruger’s prices, and really helped with the WC. (Yes, buying a pre-owned firearm, along with a new firearm, is a way to get an overall deal.)

TS Imelda was dumping SERIOUS rain in Baytown, to the east, where my father is in assisted-living, so I postponed visiting Dad, and went west, to the LGS. I had not seen the WC G17 on their site, so this was a fortuitous day.

I had thought that I would immediately swap the wood grip, for an original-type GP100, but this wood grip is growing on me. I will take screwdrivers to the range, and try both. (It may be a while, as visiting Dad is a priority; he was changed to hospice care status last Friday.)

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Prayers for your dad and family, Rex.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Prayers for your dad and family, Rex.
    Thanks. Dad passed away peacefully, Friday morning.
    Last edited by Rex G; 09-24-2019 at 01:41 PM.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

User Tag List