Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: New Ruger Super GP100 Competition Revolver 8-shot 357 5.5"

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    The revolver power factor floors are interesting, and I suspect are linked with what seems to be the tendency of ammunition manufacturers to go with lighter loads on their factory chamberings. Or the rulemakers might have just caved to the mousefart lobby ensconced in the revo-centric shoot sport arena...

I like shooting cartridges analogous to my carry loads when I compete. With my Security Six, my IDPA/practice cartridge is Remington/UMC's 125 gr .38 Special +P, which has a MV of 945, ME of 248, and a power factor of 118; my carry load for the Security Six is Remington's 125 gr +P Golden Saber, which clocks in at about the same, or with slightly more oomph-at any rate, I can zero for both, and shoot either without having to make sight adjustments.

With my GP100 (and Blackhawk), my practice and competition cartridge is Sellier & Bellot's 158 gr .357 magnim, with a MV of 1,263, a ME of 560, and a power factor of 200; for carry, I use Federal Hydra-Shok 158 gr with a MV of 1240, a ME of 539, and a power factor of 196, again allowing for single zeroing for both cartridges.

Interestingly, the Sellier & Bellot stuff is one of the few decently loaded "standard" .357 magnum cartridges. I initially found it when searching for a factory cartridge for a revolver match requiring (well, challenging participants) to shoot revolvers with a 200 PF load. In one of my hunting revolver books, there was a guy in New Mexico who used factory 158 gr S&B to take a 350 lb bear, so in my mind, it's pretty credible stuff.

For deer hunting with my 4.6" barrel .357/9mm stainless New Model Blackhawk, I use Hornady's 158 gr XTP .357 magnum, with a MV of 1250, a ME of 548, and a power factor of 198.

Best, Jon
    I genuinely admire your commitment to shooting real world pressures in your guns! My IDPA competition load is Federal 130 grain American Eagle because out of a 4 inch Match Champion it's about a 107-110 powerfactor, and has that very easy to reload round nose bullet. It is very much like shooting a loud .22 out of that gun. I do know that IDPA went to the lower power floor for SSR/Revo specifically to guarantee that factory available standard pressure .38s would be able to play in the game.

I got to handle one of these briefly yesterday. Overall, it's the size of a Redhawk with the same feel. Didn't try the trigger so I can't address that but the barrel shroud looked to be nice and straight. I'm not crazy about the shroud cuts and they wouldn't keep me away but the $1,360 price will...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by FPS View Post
    They must have colorblind chimps designing these things. Nice configuration, poor aesthetics.
    You may be on to something here, as it looks OK colorwise to my red/green impaired eyes.

Any chance they will put this cylinder in a otherwise standard GP100 in 3-6"? One of these in a 5" would be a great field/home defense gun. I could see a 3" doing well with the few folks out there carrying an 8-shot short barrel N-frame.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    Any chance they will put this cylinder in a otherwise standard GP100 in 3-6"?
    I don’t see any way they could fit this cylinder into a standard GP. I didn’t measure but it’s got to be over 2” in diameter.

Or are you referring to the LCR style shape?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    Idiots keep putting mud/sand/rust catching holes in pistols.
    I guess it's OK if one looks at it as a "gamer's gun".
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I don’t see any way they could fit this cylinder into a standard GP. I didn’t measure but it’s got to be over 2” in diameter.

Or are you referring to the LCR style shape?
    Mostly the former, thanks.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Which to be fair is pretty much exactly what this gun is. It's no coincidence that Ruger is making a hard run at the very small, but very dedicated competition revolver market ever since Paul landed over there.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Which to be fair is pretty much exactly what this gun is. It's no coincidence that Ruger is making a hard run at the very small, but very dedicated competition revolver market ever since Paul landed over there.
    Not that there's anything wrong with that. Maybe some of the competition stuff can then translate to service/carry guns.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Much mention about the aesthetics of the barrel, but isn't this their first use of a tensioned barrel in a centerfire gun? Is that still considered to be a good idea?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Much mention about the aesthetics of the barrel, but isn't this their first use of a tensioned barrel in a centerfire gun? Is that still considered to be a good idea?
    You mean a sleeved barrel? They’ve been doing that on RedHawks for the last few years. S&W ‘s newer revolvers (the 66-8 and 69) have them and Dan Wesson successfully used them for many years although the DW system that allowed interchangeable barrels required the user to set it properly.

User Tag List