Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Ruger Super GP100 Competition Revolver 8-shot 357 5.5"

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Major is just 158 at 1050 fps iirc. I get that with .38s
    Seems plenty of threads on Enos about people reloading 38 to minor and some factory offerings, so it seems feasible. I don't reload but I've got some of these in the safe and seem to be well below the threshold if it's a 148 @730 as advertised.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...tter-box-of-50
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I didn't bother to read the specs. At three pounds, I'll stick with an Airlite N frame for packin'. Already have a half-lug, 5-inch .357 GP if I feel like going old school.

This strikes me as being like the H&K Mk23. If the GP100 is the USP 9/40 full size, what they needed to make was the USP 45 full size. Not the Mk23.
    I agree, I personally wouldn’t buy a 357 this heavy. I would rather have the new 3” 7 shot 357 GP-100.

I’m more excited that the Super GP100 should eventually be made in a 4.2” 44 Magnum and a 4.2” .454/45LC. In the past the SRH with a decent looking barrel was only available as a very expensive custom proposition made by Bowen.

Being able to buy this in 44M or 454/45LC off the shelf with a warranty, great trigger and bomb proof construction at a price point lower than a used pre lock S&W 44 magnum would be a win for the consumer.

All of that is assuming they skip the barrel shroud cuts and the LCR cylinder profile for the big bore versions.

The LCR cylinder shape should make the DA trigger pulls in this gun sweet with a little polishing. Without having to lighten the springs unecessarily.

Remember with the revo, the biggest portion of the DA pull is the initial moment of inertia required to move the cylinder. Ruger was brilliant to cut away so much cylinder material in the LCR, that’s why stock-to-stock an LCR trigger is much better than a J-frame. Frankly, if only someone could figure out how to make a set of LCR grips that were the same size as J-frame grips, there would be no reason to buy J-frames anymore.

Next thing they need to do is do a 9mm version for ICORE and USPSA.

The Match Champion is the gun for IDPA.

As soon as Ruger makes a 3” version, I’ll have two. With Lett Compacts this thing will be fucking awesome. I’ll email Ruger and tell them I’ll be in for a 5.5” gun as soon as the stupid shroud cuts are gone.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 04-27-2019 at 03:15 PM.

Remember this gun is targeted for USPSA and ICORE competitions. I'm damn glad to see it. FINALLY!

Don't know if it's still there, but Ruger's website used to have a link to contact the CEO. I used to make it a point to send him an email to request SOMETHING, ANYTHING to compete with S&W in USPSA about every 6 months. I gave up and went to single stack but I do like that this happened. Talk about flat shooting with .38 Short Colt loads! If I had the cash, I'd have already ordered it, just in case I decide to go back.

as a functional tool, 2 thumbs up ... for design aesthetics, 1 thumb down. function rules over form, for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    Remember this gun is targeted for USPSA and ICORE competitions.
    Yep. 99% of the people here aren't the target market. And I doubt very much Smith & Wesson has anything to worry.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    The Match Champion is the gun for IDPA.
    Hardly. A well tuned 686 smokes it in SSR and the 4" 625 rules ESR.

Site Supporter
    I like the looks including the shroud cuts. I think the cuts were done to make it unique. Does anyone know if the barrel shroud could have been made out of aluminum to reduce weight?

Quote Originally Posted by John10-19 View Post
    I hope this is a prelude to a large line of Super Redhawk actions with the Redhawk barrels.
    I sure hope so.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Well, it certainly isn't legal for IDPA on the basis of barrel length. What competitions is it aimed at?

Best, Jon
    ISPSA, ICORE, Steel Challenge. Anything the Smith 929 or 627 now dominate.

I can’t see it making much of a dent in S&Ws share of that market. The price point is looks to be the same. It’s still got the same Ruger action, which is longer, slower trigger reset, and you just can’t do as much with it.

Where I think it could really challenge Smith is if it can chamber six big bore rounds up to.45 caliber, then there’s a good alternative to the N-frame that’s not as clunky as the Redhawk line.

For that purpose, they’d have to loose the vents and that hideous cylinder before I’d be interested.

User Tag List