Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Ruger Super GP100 Competition Revolver 8-shot 357 5.5"

Well, it certainly isn't legal for IDPA on the basis of barrel length. What competitions is it aimed at?

Best, Jon

This is the gun I mentioned here:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-Shot-Revolver

I'll admit I'm a little disapointed in the aesthetics. And also that it's only available from the custom shop. I wonder if Ruger will put into full production.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Well, it certainly isn't legal for IDPA on the basis of barrel length. What competitions is it aimed at?

Best, Jon
    Maybe ICORE? It would definitely be ok in Steel Challenge.
    Last edited by Mark D; 04-27-2019 at 01:01 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post

Best, Jon
    It could work in uspsa revo with minor power factor ammo, unless I'm missing something, which is entirely possible.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Hmmm. Aesthetically, it looks more like a combination of GP100 plus the LCR cylinder plus something out of the Smith & Wesson Performance Shop regarding the barrel treatment. I applaud Ruger for their expanded revolver offerings lately, but I'm struggling a bit with this one, at least for a niche that applies to me. Plus, it has a very un-Ruger-like price.

Meh.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    It could work in uspsa revo with minor power factor ammo, unless I'm missing something, which is entirely possible.
    Major is just 158 at 1050 fps iirc. I get that with .38s

The revolvers styling screams "Oh no, it's too heavy!". The release doesn't mention if the barrel shroud is steel or aluminum, but the pic suggests steel, especially with the shroud cuts. I'd like to see it as a four inch, and something around 2-1/2 inches. Still, it's a really big step for Ruger, and as mentioned above, a 44 version with a std Redhawk barrel profile would sell like hotcakes.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 358156hp View Post
    The revolvers styling screams "Oh no, it's too heavy!". The release doesn't mention if the barrel shroud is steel or aluminum, but the pic suggests steel, especially with the shroud cuts. I'd like to see it as a four inch, and something around 2-1/2 inches. Still, it's a really big step for Ruger, and as mentioned above, a 44 version with a std Redhawk barrel profile would sell like hotcakes.
    Listed as 47 ounces on the website so the styling isn’t deceiving...

Site Supporter
    I’ve been waiting for them to make GP100 - super Redhawks style .44 mags for years. Getting closer

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    If they will make a 4" to 6" version of that in .44 Mag without the goofy cuts, I'll start looking around my gun cabinet for stuff to sell to make it happen.
    Same. I would trade my Alaskan 44M for a 4.2” Super GP in a heartbeat.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    Listed as 47 ounces on the website so the styling isn’t deceiving...
    I didn't bother to read the specs. At three pounds, I'll stick with an Airlite N frame for packin'. Already have a half-lug, 5-inch .357 GP if I feel like going old school.

This strikes me as being like the H&K Mk23. If the GP100 is the USP 9/40 full size, what they needed to make was the USP 45 full size. Not the Mk23.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 04-27-2019 at 11:02 AM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List