Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cadet charged in Texas City police academy shooting that injured 3

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    No, they haven’t told us about the $1.6 million testicle. I bet that’s an interesting story.

We’ve lost two so far. Both due to injuries during defensive tactics but we’ve still got nine weeks left to go. Everyone’s doing their best not to get injured or injure anyone else.
    I broke a toe in DT during “red man” evolutions. Luckily it was right before graduation and after the PT test.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Things have really gone downhill at FLETC. It used to be, back in the early 80's, that you'd get canned for sneaking females on to the base in the trunk of your car.
    Some things don’t change. As a class coordinator in the mid 2000s I had to boot two trainees for doing exactly that.

Cadet charged in Texas City police academy shooting that injured 3

I had a front tooth chip in half during a FLETC red man fight. They gave us mouth pieces, but the role player said he could not understand our “Spanish” verbals due to the mouth pieces. I spit out my mouth piece to give verbals, and the asshole spun and punched me in the face. I was so PISSED. But, I was not medical’ed out, I stuck around and graduated.

We did not lose anyone in our class. We had one come VERY close to going home for failing Spanish. I think he got a pity pass.

Saw a female USSS agent get fired over a traffic stop. You have to report ANY off campus police contact. She did not. She was pulled over and issued a warning, no ticket. The local LEO mentioned it to some FLETC staff he was friends with, because the trainee was a very good looking female. Staff was like, “wait, who got pulled over? No one reported that”. So they went out to figure out who it was. Asked her specifically if she had been pulled over, and she said no. But it was on dash cam. Boom, fired for integrity violation. Stupid.

While I was there, had two die. One old INS Inspector had a heart attack during DT. And a young guy, like 30, was running a PT test on the track. He just keeled over and died... a stroke/aneurism. Young, healthy, in shape, and just ran a couple laps and fell down. I Did not know either of them, but we were told about it in class. This was 20 years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Gadfly; 04-27-2019 at 12:56 PM.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    I had a front tooth chip in half during a FLETC red man fight. They gave us mouth pieces, but the role player said he could not understand our “Spanish” verbals due to the mouth pieces. I spit out my mouth piece to give verbals, and the asshole spun and punched me in the face. I was so PISSED. But, I was not medical’ed out, I stuck around and graduated.

We did not lose anyone in our class. We had one come VERY close to going home for failing Spanish. I think he got a pity pass.

Saw a female USSS agent get fired over a traffic stop. You have to report ANY off campus police contact. She did not. She was pulled over and issued a warning, no ticket. The local LEO mentioned it to some FLETC staff he was friends with, because the trainee was a very good looking female. Staff was like, “wait, who got pulled over? No one reported that”. So they went out to figure out who it was. Asked her specifically if she had been pulled over, and she said no. But it was on dash cam. Boom, fired for integrity violation. Stupid.

While I was there, had two die. One old INS Inspector had a heart attack during DT. And a young guy, like 30, was running a PT test on the track. He just keeled over and died... a stroke/aneurism. Young, healthy, in shape, and just ran a couple laps and fell down. I Did not know either of them, but we were told about it in class. This was 20 years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    When I was there as a student in the mid 90s USMS had an older guy die of a heart attack while “on the throne.”

More recently there were issues with students getting Rhabdomyolysis due to supplements, particularly creatine. I also had to take one of my trainees to the ER for chest pains after she got up drinking 6 monster energy drinks per day....

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    When I was there as a student in the mid 90s USMS had an older guy die of a heart attack while “on the throne.”

More recently there were issues with students getting Rhabdomyolysis due to supplements, particularly creatine. I also had to take one of my trainees to the ER for chest pains after she got up drinking 6 monster energy drinks per day....
    Damn. 6 per day? Drinking more than 3 Monsters in a 12 hour period made me feel sick when I was deployed.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Sooo... the Testicle Story.

Legend has it, that a young HSI student was heading to the sim range. The class padded up with helmets, long sleeves, gloves and external cup protection.

Problem is, equipment is beat and elastic is worn. As guys run around shooting sims at each other, the cups are flopping around. (Here is where I can’t find a straight answer). Either the kid took off his cup, or it slipped around to a point it was not covering his balls.

Rounds fly and kid is hit in the crotch. And one of his testicles starts to swell. And not a little. Like up to a lemon. So he goes to the quack shack who send him to the ER. In the hospital it keeps swelling. Allegedly like an orange. After a day or two of anti clotting meds it’s not going down. Docs are afraid if they wait, too long, the kid could lose both testicles, so a decision is made to cut off the damaged one to save the good one.

Now... the lawyers step in. What is fair compensations for loss of a nut? They took into account his age, no kids, not married, etc... and came up with $1.6 million. And he got to keep his job.

The running joke is that I would sell a nut for $1.6 million. But due to my age and the fact I have already had kids, my nut is not worth nearly as much according to gov lawyers.

I really want to know what was up with the jock protector. We had to go around ad double check the gear several times during training to make sure it was all in place.

And that is the story of the $1.6 million dollar testicle.

The moral of the story... protect your balls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

I'd be willing to settle for a mere $800K.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Never had the privilege of going to FLETC. Wanted to; however, by the time I came to the attention of the FEDS as a possible candidate for a job I was "too old". I did have fun on the South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy range. The weapons policy was no weapons except on the range (and strictly controlled) or in the trunk of your vehicle. No firearms in the dorms even from on duty personnel who were there to visit. This stemmed from an incident where a female LEO came to visit her husband, a deputy attending training, as a surprise. The surprise was complete as the woman found her husband in dalliance with another student (also female) in his room. Apparently firearms were discharged with no injuries other than bruised feelings and ringing ears.

Probably a good rule...
    Last edited by J. J. Magnum; 04-29-2019 at 10:18 AM.

I went to FLETC Artesia twice. Once for a BIA bridge class, and for FITP. Both times I drove marked unit from Nebraska.
    I knew I'd have to turn in weapons (traveled with issued AR15 and 870), but no one said I'd have to turn in all ammo as well....used a hand truck to get it all out of my trunk, and "owned" a corner of the armory at the front gate. Second trip I wisely purged my trunk prior to trip.

Both times, whenever I left/returned to campus, I checked in/out a POW. At FITP, we had a number of agents wanting to arm up when leaving for the weekend, and there were some hoops to jump through getting their pistols out of the class armory. Technically, BIA policy was that you did not drive a marked unit unarmed, which to me is just plain common sense, but I didn't like being unarmed anyway. I had family in Carlsbad, and was free to roam Carlsbad > Roswell, but boss wouldn't let me burn agency gas to ABQ.

At FITP, we lost 2-3 that didn't make qual the 1st day, but were good after that. The bridge class was pure classroom.

My only heartburn with rules was the no-liquor rule. I'm just not a beer or wine guy, and after being middle-aged, a bourbon+coke along with a pipe or cigar is a damn fine way to wind down of an evening. Not saying that a small bottle of such may have been procured in town and been locked in a suitcase in the dorm room. Not saying any such thing at all.
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 05-01-2019 at 11:32 AM.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post

At FITP, we lost 2-3 that didn't make qual the 1st day, but were good after that. The bridge class was pure classroom.

My only heartburn with rules was the no-liquor rule. I'm just not a beer or wine guy, and after being middle-aged, a bourbon+coke along with a pipe or cigar is a damn fine way to wind down of an evening. Not saying that a small bottle of such may have been procured in town and been locked in a suitcase in the dorm room. Not saying any such thing at all.
    We had one female sent home day one at my initial FITP back in 2000. She was not even close. She stood on the firing line as they scored and protested that she was there to learn how to shoot better. The instructors pointed out that this was an instructing class for folks that already can shoot, not a basic course. Sooo, she was from a field office in HAWAII. Had flown like 20 hours to get to Georgia, and was out of the class by lunch on day one and had to fly back home. Apparently, her SAC was called and asked why they would send her to FITP to begin with. The rest of the class passed. We had INS, BP, Postal Inspectors, Mint Police, USMS, an ATF guy (even one guy from an agency that shall not be named/dosen't exist)... it was a good mix, and a great way to see how all the other agencies do it a little different than we did. Mint Police guy of SanFran won Top Gun with his 226.

What is this no booze rule bullshit? They sell beer and wine at the Fletc Express store, and Booze is sold at the G bar. God knows every Friday at 4:30 there was some dormitory choir practice of the bourbon variety. I guess Artisia is different than Georgia. Only rule for us was, keep the noise down so FLETC Five-0 did not get called on you.

(And POWs at fletc? Totally against the rules... totally. Hypothetically, in this movie I saw, about 2/3rds of the FI staff would be in violation....in this movie... but never in real life.)
    Last edited by Gadfly; 05-01-2019 at 12:09 PM.

User Tag List