Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Week 318: How Small A Target In Two Seconds?

Week 318: How Small A Target In Two Seconds?

Week 318: How Small A Target In Two Seconds?

Results may be posted until May 26th, 2019.

Designed by: Gabe White
    Range: 7 yards
    Target: Shooter's choice, see below
    Start Position: Holstered or ready, see below
    Rounds Fired: Varies

This drill focuses on exploring how small a target we can hit pretty reliably, within two seconds at seven yards.

Set up your initial target at seven yards and your par time for two seconds. Shooter's choice of targets: 8" circle, USPSA lower A-zone, head box (6x6"), 3x5", USPSA upper A-zone, 2" circle, 1" square, and others are all acceptable. At the start signal, draw and shoot one shot at the target. If your range does not allow you to draw from a holster, begin from the ready position of your choice.

Try to start with a target you can be successful on, even if it is larger than you would like (entire silhouette?), and progress to more challenging targets. But you'll only have results to report if you can hit the target under the par time three times consecutively.

If you are successful three times in a row at hitting the target in two seconds or less, either end the drill or repeat using a more difficult target with the same distance and par time.
    Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Gun, holster and concealment (optional), or ready position start
    First target successfully engaged three times in a row and under two seconds
    Any subsequent targets successfully engaged three times in a row and under two seconds
    Anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

I’ve been using the card split as my standard

I can do it most the time cold. I did it 4 times off camera the day I shot this video.

For my fast coin anniversary Sunday I’m going to try and light a strike anywhere match from concealment at 7 under 2

Ltt from a keeper

Last edited by Duke; 04-25-2019 at 02:42 PM.

Hammertime
    I do a draw to a 2” dot fairly regularly as part of my training. I can’t get below 2s reliably at 7 yards. 2.2-2.4s and I miss 50%.

For today I tried the Fast Target.

VP9, JMCK WC2.0, concealed.

I did 16 draws to 8” circle and was super surprised at how much faster I could get a hit on the larger target. 1.5-1.6s with great regularity.

I switched to the 3x5 expecting a lot of slow misses and hit 10/12 in the 1.7-1.9s range. Pretty happy about that.

What did I learn: maybe my draw isn’t as slow as I thought? Small targets force much more time spent on sight refinement and smoothing the trigger pull.

Trying My own idea today.

98 one shot draws. 26 matches destroyed - zero were struck correctly enough to light. 😢

The match itself is easy enough to hit. You have to try and shoot just over the top or else youre just shooting a small stick and stoping to put up a new one each shot.

Gun, holster and concealment (optional), or ready position start Beretta 92A1, JM OWB, no concealment
    First target successfully engaged three times in a row and under two seconds 4" Circle
    Any subsequent targets successfully engaged three times in a row and under two seconds 2" circle
    Anything you noticed

I tried a 1" square after the 2" circle but couldn't get there. It was a visual plane focus shift thing and I'm going to blame the indoor range lighting for it. Based on my hits on the 2" circle I think I have the speed and trigger discipline to get there. Ask @karmapolice if you don't believe me about the lighting in this place.

Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    I’ve been using the card split as my standard

I can do it most the time cold. I did it 4 times off camera the day I shot this video.

For my fast coin anniversary Sunday I’m going to try and light a strike anywhere match from concealment at 7 under 2

Ltt from a keeper

"GAME OVER MANNNNN, GAME OVER!!!

Very nice.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

So much fun!

3x5 card/7yards - "passed" with the 43X and 9mm Operator

3x3 Post It note - failed with the 43X but passed with the 9mm Operator.

B8 X ring - failed with the 9mm Operator. I thought I could. But didn't.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Hi all! This Morning I did this exercise. I used a Glock 3Gen, normal sight and duty holster Safariland.

It was very funny, I liked it a lot. The two seconds were a good challenge. I have used a different circles:

1º. 20cm Circle (7.8 inches): 3 shots, 1.75sc, 1.61sc and 1.65sc. PASS.
    2º. 10cm Circle (3.9 inches): 3 shots, 1.70sc, 1.80sc, 1.82sc. PASS.
    3º. 7.62cm Circle (3 inches): 3 shots, 1.66sc, 1.79sc and 1.83sc. PASS.
    4º. 5cm Circle (2 inches): 3 shots, 1.90sc, 2.00 sc and 2.07sc. NO PASS

Name:  20190502_114638.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  30.5 KB

I could not pass the 2 inches circle, I will continue training

I did this a little funky because I don't have a holster for my new gat yet.
    Dan Wesson 1911 9mm
    High compressed ready
    3" circle at 7 yds
    Although the time is way under 2 seconds, I was accounting for clearing the garment and getting my master grip within the 2 second parameter.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bw-24Jjn...=17psfsp19g7rs

Now that I know it can be lit - and that i can make the shot- I can work on the time
    Last edited by Duke; 05-04-2019 at 10:23 AM.

User Tag List