Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What ammo would you like to see made?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Have I got a deal for you, Dave.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/79...oint-box-of-20

I have my doubts as to whether the 1905 ammo was really going 900 fps, but it is still a good load. Available from Hornady as above and the same bullet at 925 fps from Fiocchi. Easily replicated by handloading or a commercial reload with 200 gr SWC at 875 fps for close enough practice.
    Jim,

I've been carrying the Hornady load for a number of years and have loaded tens of thousands of 200g H&G #68 SWCs, at 900 fps from a Government Model, since 1975. I've read a number of bad reports on the Hornedy XTP performance so I was asking for something new or better. Federal is supposed to have a new 215g Hydro-Shok at 900something fps. I haven't been able to find any source that has it in stock. I suspect it may be "unobtainium" and fade from the market before it sees the light of day.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    +10 fingers for a 147-grain HST in .357 Mag, it's time we had a proper successor to the almost unobtanium 145-grain Silvertip.
    How about the Hornady Critical Duty 135 grain .357 Magnum?

http://www.hornadyle.com/products/ha...35-gr-flexlock

Hornady's gelatin numbers look good. I haven't gotten my hands on any yet.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post

At least for me, I’d draw the line at 145 grains so it’d be reasonably close to POA with fixed-sight guns. I’ve tried the 130-grain Hydrashoks and they hit too low from my 681.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post

I know the standard is 12-18" so 14" penatrates "enough" but I want more if I'm carrying a revolver. 16-20" is what I want.

That's also with a vented 8" barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I know the standard is 12-18" so 14" penatrates "enough" but I want more if I'm carrying a revolver. 16-20" is what I want.

That's also with a vented 8" barrel.
    True. I'd like to see the round tested in proper gel from 2.25, 3, and 4 inch barrels.

ETA:

https://www.luckygunner.com/357-mag-...rounds#geltest

The Lucky Gunner tests look good in 2" and 4" barrels, but it is clear gel instead of ballistic gel.
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 05-17-2019 at 08:00 PM.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    .45 Auto-Rim that’s loaded for the shaved Webley Mk.VIs
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    That would be awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    That would be awesome.
    .455 Webley-AutoRim. They could take .45 AR cases and shave 0.12" off the length.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Mostly, I want better .357 options at Wally World..

--I wish Winchester would revamp their 110 grain load with a bullet like their 115 9mm jhp

--even better, loads that match 9mm 125 and 147 jhp in weight, velocity, and performance

A knockoff of the Extreme Penetrator/Defense line, with jacketed bullets to cut cost, especially in .32acp

.45AR+p+ by mainstream ammo companies, or at least cheaper options than Buffalo Bore

I have no experience with .357 Silvertip, but .357 critical duty definitely fits the niche of "more controllable than full-house loads but more powerful than 9mm+p". Recoil is definitely better than Remington 125gr sjhp and Federal 158gr hydroshock in my 640.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    Mostly, I want better .357 options at Wally World..

--I wish Winchester would revamp their 110 grain load with a bullet like their 115 9mm jhp

--even better, loads that match 9mm 125 and 147 jhp in weight, velocity, and performance

A knockoff of the Extreme Penetrator/Defense line, with jacketed bullets to cut cost, especially in .32acp

.45AR+p+ by mainstream ammo companies, or at least cheaper options than Buffalo Bore

I have no experience with .357 Silvertip, but .357 critical duty definitely fits the niche of "more controllable than full-house loads but more powerful than 9mm+p". Recoil is definitely better than Remington 125gr sjhp and Federal 158gr hydroshock in my 640.
    Golden Sabers are in the same class, 125/1250fps Considering Remington has 9mm bonded/nonbonded I wish the .357 was bonded as well.

User Tag List