Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What ammo would you like to see made?

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    Kind of along those lines, I'd really like to see HST's and Gold Dot 9mm's incorporate a cannelure to make them better for 9x19 revolvers.

Currently, there's some risk of bullet jump with 9x19 revolvers due to lack of cannelure.

Umm, HST has a cannelure...

Scroll down

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/sel...llistic-tests/
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

A 158gr WC loaded to "service" velocity.

Would be a superb snubby load that hits to the sights.
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post

Chuck - If you don’t mind my asking, what 158 gr round currently available would you think comes closest to that ideal?

Thanks a bunch.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Chuck - If you don’t mind my asking, what 158 gr round currently available would you think comes closest to that ideal?

Thanks a bunch.

Rich
    Sadly there isn't one.
    www.agiletactical.com

Sadly there isn't one.
    It would be nice if someone loaded this:
    https://www.mattsbullets.com/index.p...6rbo83q12uhhu7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Corse View Post
    38 super loaded with bullets designed for the 357 sig (hst/gd) at decent velocity.
    Yes and let's have some cheap practice ammo, Wolf steel case. Come on Wolf....

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

Thanks a bunch.

Rich
    How about this:

http://www.doubletapammo.net/index.p...product_id=555

It supposedly produces 740 fps from a 2'' barrel and 855 fps from a 6'' barrel.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

+10 fingers for a 147-grain HST in .357 Mag, it's time we had a proper successor to the almost unobtanium 145-grain Silvertip.

+10 fingers to a WC at service velocity in a .38 Special

+10 Fingers + 10 Toes for an HST load that isn't set back in the case like a damn WC making it virtually impossible to reload. Yes, I know you got more "consistent velocity" doing that, Federal, look, just fix it.

+10 Fingers + 10 Toes + 10 of Someone Else's Fingers for that 147-grain .357 caliber HST being loaded into a .38 special case at approximately 850 FPS. Yea, maybe it'll work like a 9mm 147-HST, maybe not. I'll takes my chances.

___

@That Guy - get the guns threaded for chokes. It's not perfect, but you'll be able to get them much closer to acceptable for your needs. If that doesn't work, slugs, bro, slugs. At the end of the day, slugs will get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    +10 fingers for a 147-grain HST in .357 Mag, it's time we had a proper successor to the almost unobtanium 145-grain Silvertip.
    I keep meaning to post a separate thread about this but I bought a box of 145 Grain Silvertips last fall. Half the rounds wouldn't chamber easily because of what would best be described as a large burr down at the base of the case. I could give each round an extra shove with my thumb and get the cylinder to close, using them as carry ammo was a no go.

I shot 18 rounds, and figured my chambers were just dirty from shooting wadcutters. It wasn't until after I cleaned the gun really well and tried it again that I figured out the problem.

I had a very similar problem a few years ago with some Winchester 130 grain ball .38 Special practice ammo.

In the interest of full disclosure, I contacted Winchesters customer service and they told me if I shipped it back on my nickel, they would give me a pro-rated refund. I'm 34 miles from a UPS counter that will ship ammo, and I didn't want to blow half a day to get a refund on half a box of ammo, so I never followed through.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    After thinking about the OP's question - I would like to see several good loads for the 45 ACP featuring John Browning's original favored bullet weight of 200g. And they don't need to all be +P loadings. JMB chose a 200g @ 900 fps (from a 5" barrel). A well designed truncated cone and an expanding hollow point should be doable.

Just sayin',
    Dave
    Have I got a deal for you, Dave.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/79...oint-box-of-20

I have my doubts as to whether the 1905 ammo was really going 900 fps, but it is still a good load. Available from Hornady as above and the same bullet at 925 fps from Fiocchi. Easily replicated by handloading or a commercial reload with 200 gr SWC at 875 fps for close enough practice.
    Last edited by Jim Watson; 05-14-2019 at 09:10 AM.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

User Tag List