Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What ammo would you like to see made?

What ammo would you like to see made?

Inspired by the NRAAM wishlist thread, I thought it would be interesting to make an ammunition specific wish list of what we'd like to see produced.

Things I'd like to see:

Pistol Ammo:

9mm "Hot 'N Cheap" JHP Bulk ammo. Currently there are a number of cheap JHP's on the market, but they are all loaded to "-P" velocities - quite a few 115gr and 124gr subsonics, which is just depressing. The big exception is 9BPLE, which is awesome because its loaded to full power (38,500psi), which gives it decent performance even using a cheap 'cup n core' JHP. And since those projectiles are barely more expensive then FMJ to produce, the ammo ends up being around $0.27-$0.3 per shot, making it affordable enough to buy in bulk and actually use for training. The only downside is that the 115gr tends to be a little shallow on the penetration.

So I'd love to see a similar, 9BPLE/"HnC" 124gr JHP load offered. Decently designed 124gr cup n core JHP, at 1225fps from a 4" barrel - basically similar to the Corbon 125gr +P, which uses a low tech JHP at high velocity to get pretty solid results:
    http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2...and-clear.html

If a manufacturer came out with a similar load for 1000rd/$300, 50rd/$20, I think they'd sell all they could make.

Rifle Ammo:

M855A1 "Civilian":The M855A1 is a superbly designed bullet, but due to its steel tip, we will likely never see it available on the civilian market. What I'd like to see is the same projectile design made with a ZAMAK/Zinc tip, which would still offer excellent barrier penetration while not running afoul of AP ammo regs. Since ZAMAK can be injection diecast, it would also likely be pretty damn cheap to make, comparable to a plastic ballistic tip.

Shogun Ammo:

Bulk #1 Buckshot: Currently companies like S&B, Rio, Fiocci have affordable 00 and #4 buckshot, available for around $0.3-$0.35 when purchased in 250rd cases. I'd love to see these same manufacturers offer comparably priced bulk #1 Buckshot.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    Shogun Ammo:

Bulk #1 Buckshot: Currently companies like S&B, Rio, Fiocci have affordable 00 and #4 buckshot, available for around $0.3-$0.35 when purchased in 250rd cases. I'd love to see these same manufacturers offer comparably priced bulk #1 Buckshot.

I just patterned some S&B #1 buckshot last weekend... The box of 25 shells cost me about $20, and everything tends to cost more here than in the US (yayyyy for $30 per PMAG...) The price was exactly same as S&B #00 and #4 buckshot - I should think that qualifies as affordable? I did buy the last box the shop had, that #1 is rather difficult to get. (Then again, #1 buckshot is pretty difficult to get here in general. It's all either #4 or #00.)

The S&B worked "okay", comparatively speaking, in my Remington 870, keeping approximately 2/3 of the pellets on an IDPA target at about 24 meters. It worked less okay in my girlfriends Mossberg 590.

What I'd like to see is more emphasis on tighter patterns. Geco makes a nickle plated competition buckshot round with low recoil and a pretty decent pattern, but that ammunition suffers from severe extraction issues in my 870 (also moderate extraction issues in her 590). Most other buckshot ammunition is all over the berm from a relatively short range of 25 meters. Not satisfactory performance, in my opinion. During the same range trip, I spent one of my few (as in, less than one box) remaining Federal LE132 00 shells ($4 to $5 each, when they were still available!). A 5.5" pattern at about 24 meters - now that is what I like! While I realize a more budget friendly round probably couldn't repeat that performance, surely there is some ability to tighten those patterns up without making the ammunition ridiculously expensive. Geco already managed the improved pattern bit in an inexpensive shell, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    I just patterned some S&B #1 buckshot last weekend... The box of 25 shells cost me about $20, and everything tends to cost more here than in the US (yayyyy for $30 per PMAG...) The price was exactly same as S&B #00 and #4 buckshot - I should think that qualifies as affordable? I did buy the last box the shop had, that #1 is rather difficult to get. (Then again, #1 buckshot is pretty difficult to get here in general. It's all either #4 or #00.)

The S&B worked "okay", comparatively speaking, in my Remington 870, keeping approximately 2/3 of the pellets on an IDPA target at about 24 meters. It worked less okay in my girlfriends Mossberg 590.

What I'd like to see is more emphasis on tighter patterns. Geco makes a nickle plated competition buckshot round with low recoil and a pretty decent pattern, but that ammunition suffers from severe extraction issues in my 870 (also moderate extraction issues in her 590). Most other buckshot ammunition is all over the berm from a relatively short range of 25 meters. Not satisfactory performance, in my opinion. During the same range trip, I spent one of my few (as in, less than one box) remaining Federal LE132 00 shells ($4 to $5 each, when they were still available!). A 5.5" pattern at about 24 meters - now that is what I like! While I realize a more budget friendly round probably couldn't repeat that performance, surely there is some ability to tighten those patterns up without making the ammunition ridiculously expensive. Geco already managed the improved pattern bit in an inexpensive shell, after all.
    Ah, I hadn't realized that S&B makes a #1 load.

Sadly, for some reason they are loading only 12 pellets, whereas the typical #1 is supposed to be 16 pellets. At that point theres really no benefit vs S&B's 12 pellet 00 load, other then perhaps less recoil.

In terms of tighter patterns, I know thats pretty popular here. Personally though I want the opposite - as much spread as quickly as possible, which is typical of a standard bulk pack buckshot.

But, given that you're paying $5 a round for flite control, I can certainly see why you'd want a cheaper option!
    Last edited by spyderco monkey; 04-25-2019 at 04:22 AM.

Site Supporter
    I'd like to see a .357 Magnum HST load with a ~158-grain bullet at ~1000 fps. It'd be perfect for K frames, would hit to POA with fixed-sight guns, and would give better penetration than the lighter bullets. Bumping up the 9mm diameter 147-grain bullet to .357 and rolling a cannelure into it would be fine. Offering it in .38 Special +P+ like they did the Hydrashok 147-grain load would be even more awesome.

Federal would never recoup their investment on it so it'll never happen...but a man can dream.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I'd like to see a .357 Magnum HST load with a ~158-grain bullet at ~1000 fps. It'd be perfect for K frames, would hit to POA with fixed-sight guns, and would give better penetration than the lighter bullets. Bumping up the 9mm diameter 147-grain bullet to .357 and rolling a cannelure into it would be fine. Offering it in .38 Special +P+ like they did the Hydrashok 147-grain load would be even more awesome.

Federal would never recoup their investment on it so it'll never happen...but a man can dream.
    Kind of along those lines, I'd really like to see HST's and Gold Dot 9mm's incorporate a cannelure to make them better for 9x19 revolvers.

Currently, there's some risk of bullet jump with 9x19 revolvers due to lack of cannelure.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    Kind of along those lines, I'd really like to see HST's and Gold Dot 9mm's incorporate a cannelure to make them better for 9x19 revolvers.

Currently, there's some risk of bullet jump with 9x19 revolvers due to lack of cannelure.
    Then what you really want is roll crimped 9mm ammo for revolvers.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

20ga FliteControl.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post

Vang Comp...

38 super loaded with bullets designed for the 357 sig (hst/gd) at decent velocity.

Quote Originally Posted by blake_g View Post
    Vang Comp...
    Okey dokey...

Assume I'm an idiot. (No, really. See my user name.) Now, explain the process how I can get a barrel modified by them?

User Tag List