Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 9mm ammo suggestion for practice and defense

Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....f-Defense-Ammo

Buy some boxes and see how the gun handles it, feeding,POI/POA, etc. I tend to go 147grain because it is easier for me to buy something that works in shorter barrelled guns as well as longer barrelled ones, then keep multiple boxes, currently.
    Yes this. ^^^

I look over Doc's list in 9mm, and then cross check it against my favorite ammo supplier (www.sgammo.com). I can usually get Federal HST 147, so that's what I've been using for a couple years for Defensive Ammo. I would have been happy with any round on Doc's list, really, but the HST seems to be in stock, usually.

It shoots out of my G19.5 and G26.5 poi=poa out to 25 yards using a cover the dot hold, for me.

For practice ammo lately I've been shooting Federal American Eagle 115 AE9DP. It also seems reliable and accurate. No issues in the last couple cases.

Lawman 124gr & Gold Dot 124gr +P *shrug*

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    The cheapest stuff you can buy tends to function like the cheapest stuff you can buy. Also avoid steel cased ammo for now. It's not bad because it's steel cased...it's just cheap, crappy ammo.

There's a ton of info out there on which JHP, enough to make your head spin if you're new to it. Weight, velocity, expansion, penetration, overpenetration...it's a lot to process. Pick a premium round and go with it, don't overthink it. Shoot 'em in the face enough times and it won't matter.

I shoot mostly Fiocchi 124 gr FMJ. Why? Because it works in all my guns, is always in stock at Lucky Gunner, and POA/POI isn't usually too far off from 124 gr Federal HST (non +P).
    Last edited by Darth_Uno; 04-23-2019 at 10:50 PM.

Thanks for replies.
    I'll keep an eye for online deals.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Yup.....in particular, that Federal Champion ammo from Wal-Mart is notoriously inaccurate. There was even a thread about it here just recently, about a month or so(?) ago.
    At this point, I'm to blame more than any ammo but anything helps.

Today I went to range and used Remington UMC that felt better.

Question Is Fiocchi 115gr better than Federal or Remington practice ammo?

Online with shipping, I can get the Fiocchi 115gr just under $180 for 1000 rounds.
    That's same price as Federal or Remington local price.
    Is it better?
    Should I get something like Sellier & Ballot? That's also pretty much same price as the Fiocchi.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
    Online with shipping, I can get the Fiocchi 115gr just under $180 for 1000 rounds.
    That's same price as Federal or Remington local price.
    Is it better?
    Should I get something like Sellier & Ballot? That's also pretty much same price as the Fiocchi.
    I've used (and still have) Fiocchi and S&B in my inventory. Never had any issues with the ammo whether for a semi-auto or revolver.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Remington UMC would be one of my last choices, personally. Underpowered and dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I've used (and still have) Fiocchi and S&B in my inventory. Never had any issues with the ammo whether for a semi-auto or revolver.
    Okay thanks.
    Looks like a lot of ammo rebates ended in March. Little late.

Quote Originally Posted by J0hnny View Post
    Remington UMC would be one of my last choices, personally. Underpowered and dirty.
    Okay. I'll avoid it then.

User Tag List