Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Wilson EDC X9L

I think it's wise to remember that the MSRP of an(y) item has alot less to do with intrinsic value of that product, and more to do with profit potential of that product. Wilson has priced their product as high as they can, while still meeting unit sales goals , aligning with production capability, and meeting ROI goals. It's the goal of every manufacturer.

I'm wearing a Rolex and carrying a Wilson EDC X9 as I type this, so the idea that I "overpaid" for these items isn't lost on me. Bravo to both Wilson, and Rolex
    Last edited by theJanitor; 04-25-2019 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I think it's wise to remember that the MSRP of an(y) item has alot less to do with intrinsic value of that product, and more to do with profit potential of that product. Wilson has priced their product as high as they can, while still meeting unit sales goals , aligning with production capability, and meeting ROI goals. It's the goal of every manufacturer.

I'm wearing a Rolex and carrying a Wilson EDC X9 as I type this, so the idea that I "overpaid" for these items isn't lost on me. Bravo to both Wilson, and Rolex
    Good post bro, thank you.

Here’s what I see in the pricing of the EDC X9. Wilson probably had to make some hard decision when setting the price.

It’s a new gun, which people usually are willing to pay up for. Wilson has a lot of fanboys (like myself) who will pay a lot of money for things with the Wilson logo (see glocks, berettas, shotguns, knives). They also have customers programmed to accept relatively high prices for their products. All of these things would lead you to believe that they could price this alongside their other very capable pistols at the $3500 mark.

But....it’s not a 1911. And us fanboys pay big bucks for 1911’s. We’re likely not willing to pay that much for a non-1911.

But...making the initial runs of the EDC X9 must be more expensive than making a comparable 1911. They had to sink lots of R&D money and time in this project. They had to make and inventory each small part that’s not currently in the stockroom for standard 1911s (frames, barrels, grips, safeties, sights, extractors,beaver tails, etc). They had to train people how to build, troubleshoot, inspect, repair, and handle the new product. They had to build an advertising campaign for the x9. They had to fund all of this before they could sell one unit.

The knowledge of how to make a great 1911 in the Wilson shop has already been bought and paid for many years back. The engineering money has been recouped. So has the metallurgy testing, and the parts development for a standard 1911. All of the brand building and advertising money has already provided return. Making another 1911 should be easy as pie for the guys at Wilson

Yet they can’t charge more than their bread and butter pistols. Pricing too high or too low, could devalue their new model, or their entire 1911 line, depending on the perspective of the customer.

Hard call. But either way. They made a great product, and while they’re the biggest fish in the 1911 world, they’re not a huge firearm company. Kudos to them for making a pistol, from the ground up, as good as this

There are some folks, myself included, that find beauty and art in well designed machines. While a strictly utilitarian design (which the Glock epitomizes) has a certain appeal, I can appreciate something that is done to tasteful excess. Can everyone afford some artful, tasteful excess - nope. But, it should stop those who have the money and want one - certainly not.

I've seen a Colt 9mm Commander that was redone by Jim Garthwaite. It was a pure work of art. I couldn't afford it but if I could, I would want one. I see the Wilson the same way. It's a work of art that they've tried to make mass production friendly. If someone can afford one, I wish them well and will try to contain my envy.

And, I live in constant fear that my wife, who is a 1911 fan, ever shoots one of these.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

I really want to shoot one of the these now.. Ive shot the EDC and the firist question I asked was when is the 5" coming out... that and 19 rounds on tap would almost make me switch from the LTT Elite.... LOL
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

Very nice! So, will these outsell the original X9?

Quote Originally Posted by Prdator View Post
    I really want to shoot one of the these now.. Ive shot the EDC and the firist question I asked was when is the 5" coming out... that and 19 rounds on tap would almost make me switch from the LTT Elite.... LOL
    I’m picking up my 4” from Wilson today after short trigger install.

If they have an L model on hand it may be an expensive day.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    I’m picking up my 4” from Wilson today after short trigger install.

If they have an L model on hand it may be an expensive day.
    DO IT!!!!!!
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

Just handled one at the Wilson booth at the NRA show. Pretty nice, but if I was buying one it would probably be the 4”.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    Just handled one at the Wilson booth at the NRA show. Pretty nice, but if I was buying one it would probably be the 4”.
    Why do you say that?

Use case based around concealed carry versus competition or fun?

User Tag List