Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Wilson EDC X9L

Wow this thread is surprising and informative to me. I had had the impression that Wilson's had a pretty high rate of running out of the box compared to most other brands of 1911.

Hammertime
    If it’s any consolation my EDC X9 has to go back to factory to run 147 grain reliably. Its failure rate was no where near as high as yours but I did not put much JHP through it. Need to try that. Seems to work fine now.

My EDC x9L came back from its second trip to the factory. This time they removed some material from the slide that was rubbing and causing delay. I put 50 rounds of 147 grain HST thru it yesterday without malfunction. I need another 100 rounds or so before I’ll be fully convinced that the gun is worthy of carry. However, that will have to wait a few month until after COVID.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

I hope it runs for you now.

I have an X9 coming, should be here Monday. I'm holding out hope that it will run out of the box.

Interesting realization of how slim the X9 slide is. Went to slide it in the holster. It went all the way in until the safety caught. Turns out it was my G48 holster.

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    Wow this thread is surprising and informative to me. I had had the impression that Wilson's had a pretty high rate of running out of the box compared to most other brands of 1911.
    They do - when they are chambered in a caliber designed for the platform. My Wilson CQB Elite in 45ACP is simply outstanding as are my Wilson Berettas. The problem comes when people start adapting the 1911 for calibers other than 45ACP and the EDC X9 platform is close enough to a 1911 that it suffers the same limitation. This is especially true when you try and run JHP ammo through them.

I know that the consensus opinion on PF.com is that the 9mm 1911 has come of age. However, my experience with a 9mm Colt CCU, 9mm Wilson CQB Elite, EDC X9 and now this EDC X9L has been a 75% miss rate out of the box - all but the EDC X9 had to go back for feeding issues with JHP ammo. If I could travel back in time, I’d kick myself in the nuts for even contemplating going down the 9mm 1911 rabbit hole.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    They do - when they are chambered in a caliber designed for the platform. My Wilson CQB Elite in 45ACP is simply outstanding as are my Wilson Berettas. The problem comes when people start adapting the 1911 for calibers other than 45ACP and the EDC X9 platform is close enough to a 1911 that it suffers the same limitation. This is especially true when you try and run JHP ammo through them.

I know that the consensus opinion on PF.com is that the 9mm 1911 has come of age. However, my experience with a 9mm Colt CCU, 9mm Wilson CQB Elite, EDC X9 and now this EDC X9L has been a 75% miss rate out of the box - all but the EDC X9 had to go back for feeding issues with JHP ammo. If I could travel back in time, I’d kick myself in the nuts for even contemplating going down the 9mm 1911 rabbit hole.
    This has been my experience. The other issue is magazines. I will have a magazine that is a few months old go from feeding fine to jamming rounds into the feed ramp, and there is no warning. The magazine goes from reliably feeding to jamming the top round of the fully loaded magazine jammed into the feed ramp. And it happens with every brand and model of magazine. I have Wilson, Colt Metalform, and Mec-Gar magazines for my 9x19 1911 pistols. Some magazines work better in some guns, but I have not been able to figure out what variable(s) is/are the cause. I believe the short tapered 9x19 round is not a good fit for the 1911 magazine as I am still running my almost twenty year-old 9x23 magazines with no issues.

Knock on wood, my EDC X9 has fed everything, including 147-grain JHP, in the nine months I have had it.

My EDC x9L came back from its second trip to the factory. This time they removed some material from the slide that was rubbing and causing delay. I put 50 rounds of 147 grain HST thru it yesterday without malfunction. I need another 100 rounds or so before I’ll be fully convinced that the gun is worthy of carry. However, that will have to wait a few month until after COVID.
    6 week bump. Is your X9L still running? Any additional thoughts on performance with it?
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

My EDC x9L came back from its second trip to the factory. .
    Just bumping to see if you had an update...I have a good friend from the USPSA world who is considering one of these. I related this thread and my personal frustrations with the various 9mm 1911 tribes, but he is in love with the thing visually and conceptually.

I told him I would check again to see if there was more news since he does not visit or post here. The rail and 5" barrel were important to him. He previously owned an STI 5" 9mm Marauder which was a disappointment to him from the reliability standpoint.

User Tag List