Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AZ DPS replacing FN pistols

AZ DPS replacing FN pistols

https://www.azmirror.com/2019/04/22/...-all-troopers/

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Hammertime
    Very good article on the FNS problems. The video mid point is extremely thorough. I had a couple of these but got rid of them years ago. Okay shooting. Now I am glad they are gone.

Thanks for the posting about this issue. There is an original thread somewhere, but no where near as detailed as that article and video.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Okay shooting. Now I am glad they are gone.
    I had one for a short while. I too am glad it is gone.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I found this interesting:

"Why DPS never informed the general public that the FNS pistols, which are popular among recreational and competition shooters, were prone to malfunctioning is unknown."

I would say that as a "Department of PUBLIC SAFETY" they failed pretty hard at their job title, and continue to do so since 540 of those pistols are still riding around in holsters.

The other day I was talking to an anesthesiologist who works with DPS SWAT and he said he switched to Glock the second he could. He hated the FN. I'm not clear if he bought his own or was issued one, I'll ask him next time I see him.

When they went to the FN, the Glock 35 was also authorized for carry but it was private purchase only. I used to be a volunteer with DPS and was pretty up to date on their firearms stuff, but left a short while after they adopted the FN. Last I heard DPS are also dropping the .40 and going to a 9mm Glock. I assume it is the Glock 34, but not sure.
    Last edited by LtDave; 04-23-2019 at 12:41 PM.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Here's the youtube video for those who don't want to read the article:

I remember hearing of this incident years ago, luckily before I bought one of these as I did like the way they fit my hands. I remember reading it was a supposed key that got in the trigger, but I was always suspect there was something more to the story that just hadn't been figured out yet. Unfortunately this makes a great case for not jumping on new pistol releases as the older ones have had plenty of time for vulnerabilities to be discovered and addressed. Testing (despite being thorough) cannot find all bugs sadly.

I like the looks of the 509 too, but unfortunately after seeing this issue and my first pistol FNP-40 which would fail to release the hammer with trigger pulled in double action any time the ambient weather was very hot (Florida)... I do not have much trust in FN. Especially considering when I called Customer Service about the issue they insisted I pay for the repair on my dime even though they claim a lifetime warranty.

I remember being told that 'Because the gun is a few years old we are not going to authorize the repair', they lost a customer that day for sure...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    When they went to the FN, the Glock 35 was also authorized for carry but it was private purchase only. I used to be a volunteer with DPS and was pretty up to date on their firearms stuff, but left a short while after they adopted the FN. Last I heard DPS are also dropping the .40 and going to a 9mm Glock. I assume it is the Glock 34, but not sure.
    They are going to a G17, either the M or the Gen 5.

Hammertime

AZ DPS replacing FN pistols

In fairness FN has a recall out on these:

https://fnamerica.com/customer-suppo...vice-bulletin/
    Last edited by Doc_Glock; 04-23-2019 at 07:31 PM.

FN immediately corrected the safety issue on all DPS pistols (per my buddy who is a DPS firearms instructor). They switched to the G5G17, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List