Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: American Rifleman M17 Article Explains Some of the Process

American Rifleman M17 Article Explains Some of the Process

This is the first article I've seen that helps explain the path from the M9 to the M17. There has been much speculation and flat out guesses stated as fact so far regarding the SIG.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...ndgun-systems/

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Typical American Rifleman puff-piece; a good superficial once-over that might as well have been written by the SIG-Sauer marketing department. It fails to completely describe the testing and evaluation process (or the incompleteness of it), it fails to discuss if SIG knew in advance of the drop-safety issue, attributing the M17 trigger changes to allow for a more beneficial trigger pull characteristic as opposed to correcting a safety issue).

It would have been insightful to know how and why the SIG products were selected, and how the SIG products compared to the competitors-and how all the competitors actually performed in the specific tests, which isn't touched in the article at all.

It does provide some insights, but is hardly a definitive or in-depth article on the M17/M18 evaluation and selection process, and is very dismissive of the significance of post-adoption changes that SIG has made regarding issues that have cropped up subsequent to fielding.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 04-23-2019 at 07:23 AM.

Site Supporter
    When handguns are issued, there is small chance that the person receiving the weapon will have opportunity to swap grip components. If I'm wrong, will somebody please correct me? But I suspect we'll discover more after these weapons have lived in armories and been issued to different folks. Right now for career military persons, criticizing the Sig choice would harm careers. I do hope it does well.

Will all these handguns be made in the same factory and will anyone speculate how large the work crew must be to make the required number of weapons?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    When handguns are issued, there is small chance that the person receiving the weapon will have opportunity to swap grip components. If I'm wrong, will somebody please correct me? But I suspect we'll discover more after these weapons have lived in armories and been issued to different folks. Right now for career military persons, criticizing the Sig choice would harm careers. I do hope it does well.

Will all these handguns be made in the same factory and will anyone speculate how large the work crew must be to make the required number of weapons?
    50/50 chance. The guns will come with extra grip frames. These will likely be kept in the arms room and swapped out as needed. Some units will swap them out and some won’t.

The odds and willingness of unit armorer's to do so will probably significantly depend upon the paperwork log trail required, and the proximity to the unit's IG inspection...Best, Jon

Well, that was shameless.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    50/50 chance. The guns will come with extra grip frames. These will likely be kept in the arms room and swapped out as needed. Some units will swap them out and some won’t.
    (more bitching about the Army)
    I strongly doubt it'll be anywhere near 50/50. Two months ago I had it out with my Bn PBO Chief because he blocked our request for 6 M4 style buttstock retrofit kits. I wanted 6 of them because we have Soldiers that are under 5ft 6in and issued a full size M16 that are expected to shoot well with irons while wearing an IOTV. The A2 stock is a mile long for those folks and it's miserable. I played the reasonable accommodation angle, and it's also a damn easy swap. Hell I offered to do it myself as I've got all the tools and a local-ish 91F buddy that can sign off on the results.
    No, this CW3 just pushed back and first said it's not on the AAL (Authorized Accessories List) and I proved otherwise right down to the NSN with the damn -10 manual he had in his office. Then it was more flapping and bullshit from there but nope, we're not getting them.

I have full faith that grip swaps will be similarly troubled by these same bureaucrats. The ones that spend their entire existence trying to do as little as possible and making every possible excuse to justify it.
    (/end bitching about the Army)
    Last edited by JRB; 04-23-2019 at 02:30 PM.

Site Supporter
    Since the pistols are supposed to ship with extra frames and it's an easy swap, I'm fairly optimistic that users will have the opportunity to get the size they want. Especially in the line units, where the basis of issue is team leader and up, I wouldn't expect too many armorers to ignore an officer or NCO who asks for a specific size. That doesn't necessarily mean that users will know or care which size works best, so I expect there will still be plenty of poorly fitting pistols. But I'm willing to bet that those who know what they want will get it more often than not.

If units had to spend money to order the extra frames through the supply chain, I'd be less optimistic.

"Then there was the Sharknado-like blogosphere P320 feeding frenzy in August 2017—one that had nothing to do with the XM17—regarding a very specific and rare “negative-30-degree drop” impact that could allow some P320 pistols to fire. SIG Sauer did extensive testing, got out in front of it and announced a “Voluntary Upgrade Program” on the commercial side."

"When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    "Then there was the Sharknado-like blogosphere P320 feeding frenzy in August 2017—one that had nothing to do with the XM17—regarding a very specific and rare “negative-30-degree drop” impact that could allow some P320 pistols to fire. SIG Sauer did extensive testing, got out in front of it and announced a “Voluntary Upgrade Program” on the commercial side."

Of course they did.

User Tag List