Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: American Rifleman M17 Article Explains Some of the Process

Well... That didn't change my mind any, I still don't want anything to do with the M17 or the Sig P320.... Luckily, Not a single one has hit 2D MAR DIV yet and I don't expect them to for a hot minute. Hopefully I can ride my Beretta train to retirement.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    (more bitching about the Army)
    I strongly doubt it'll be anywhere near 50/50. Two months ago I had it out with my Bn PBO Chief because he blocked our request for 6 M4 style buttstock retrofit kits. I wanted 6 of them because we have Soldiers that are under 5ft 6in and issued a full size M16 that are expected to shoot well with irons while wearing an IOTV. The A2 stock is a mile long for those folks and it's miserable. I played the reasonable accommodation angle, and it's also a damn easy swap. Hell I offered to do it myself as I've got all the tools and a local-ish 91F buddy that can sign off on the results.
    No, this CW3 just pushed back and first said it's not on the AAL (Authorized Accessories List) and I proved otherwise right down to the NSN with the damn -10 manual he had in his office. Then it was more flapping and bullshit from there but nope, we're not getting them.

I have full faith that grip swaps will be similarly troubled by these same bureaucrats. The ones that spend their entire existence trying to do as little as possible and making every possible excuse to justify it.
    (/end bitching about the Army)
    So at least some S and L grips are supposed to come with the guns so that saves a step and swapping grips does not require a tool or have a torque value both of which, as I understand, it kick things to be done by a higher level shop.

I have no love lost for Sig these days, mostly for their seemingly allergic reaction to any level of reasonable transparency or ownership of problems. I am also, however, giving the p320 (a civilian M17 in fact) another (fourth) chance to see how the most recently manufactured guns are working. I actually quite like the shooting characteristics of the M17. Time will tell if it performs well in the long-ish haul.

All that being laid out as preamble. . . That "article" is complete garbage. Pure editorial nonsense with only whiffs of journalism.

If only Sig changed their PR strategy, they would regain the respect of the customer base in mere months. The P320 is probably "just fine" at this point, the P365 is selling like hotcakes (again, after a significant bobble. . . that was poorly acknowledged), The MCX and MPX are interesting platforms. If Sig's stance were simply; "We are committed to living on the bleeding edge of innovation and design. Sometimes new designs have problems. We will always acknowledge them, and do right by the customer, no questions asked.

I just don't get it. Good PR doesn't cost any more than bad PR. Why not do the right thing?

I’ve been an NRA member for about as long as I can remember. It’s been about that long since any of their technical articles were with a spit,
    Last edited by LSP552; 04-23-2019 at 07:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    "Then there was the Sharknado-like blogosphere P320 feeding frenzy in August 2017—one that had nothing to do with the XM17—regarding a very specific and rare “negative-30-degree drop” impact that could allow some P320 pistols to fire. SIG Sauer did extensive testing, got out in front of it and announced a “Voluntary Upgrade Program” on the commercial side."

Some may remember that the same author, right as the drop safety problem was becoming publicized here and elsewhere, was DISMISSIVE of the concern at that time. But, Sig advertises in the American Rifleman, so........

I found far more interest in the linked article below that one, about the M1152 &M1153 9mm ammo being issued.

Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    I found far more interest in the linked article below that one, about the M1152 &M1153 9mm ammo being issued.
    Same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    I’ve been an NRA member for about as long as I can remember. It’s been about that long since any of their technical articles were with a spit,
    It ain't just technical articles, either. Writing in general has declined in quality. I remember how much I loved reading stuff by guys like Ed Harris, John T. Amber, Phil Sharpe, etc. I used to actually look forward to the next issues of American Rifleman, Shooting Times, the annual Gun Digest...

When I was still doing ES, after reading something current about bushcraft or survival I would sometimes dig out my copy of Kephart's "Camping and Woodcraft" just so I could enjoy a reading experience for a change.

As for the M17 article, it fails to do much informing or entertaining. I can respect a SIG but I eventually gave up on thinking I will ever actually like one, so I am one of the people who are on the outside of that particular tent.

gn

Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    Thank you for sharing this, I didn't want to read the puff piece but I did read the ammo article which was great to learn about. I am interested in getting some of those 115 FMJ-FP. Sounds like a great general purpose round that could pull multiple duties if needed.

I know what I'm about to say irritates lovers of the P320 to no end, and they also say it doesn't matter...
    The Sig P320 lost me at the bore axis. Yes, it does matter. I'm not willing to sacrifice bore axis height for modularity I won't use. I feel the same way about "modular" holsters. I want to pick it up and rock on with my day, not swap things out or unscrew and reattach.

User Tag List