Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommending an ar

Recommending an ar

I have a friend who recently decided to buy an ar. He asked me and a couple of other people for recommendations. I basically regurgitated what experts on here have said and told him to check out this forum and m4carbine. I said he should look at bravo company, daniel defense or colt. However, my friend owns and likes a lot of rugers and has shown interest in purchasing their ar. I have tried to talk him out of it simply because I know nothing about the level of quality of their long guns. My questions for the experts on this forum are: is the ruger ok and if not, what are some good data points for me to use in suggesting something else? If the ruger will work fine, I will drop it.
    Evil requires the sanction of the victim. - Ayn Rand

I'll divert to Jay, Fred, Sean, F2S, and Rob; but the fact of the matter is this:

When there are 3 or 4 companies that build to the Government TDP, why would you pick someone that doesn't?
    Last edited by JDM; 03-23-2012 at 10:32 PM.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post
    I'll divert to Jay, Sean, F2S, and Rob; but the fact of the matter is this:

When there are 3 or 4 companies that build to the Government TDP, why would you pick someone that doesn't?
    I'm right there with you, but unless I have some data to say it's not "just as good" I don't know if he'll take my advice.

I built my first ar from parts. While that was fun and all, I am not 100% confident in it, and if I could do it again, I would buy a noveske, daniel defense, colt or bravo company. I told him all this, to no avail.
    Evil requires the sanction of the victim. - Ayn Rand

If he really wants a Ruger, he should buy it and shoot it. It will probably be fine. I've seen all kinds of ARs break and all kinds run.

When talking with those that don't want to listen to what I have to say, I just stop talking. I have come to the realization that people will generally base their decisions on the advice of those that are the least qualified to give it.
    The same applies to the skills necessary for employment.
    For all too many it requires failure to begin the quest for knowledge and experience.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

With brand new Colt 6920's being available at under $1000, I'd suggest going that route for someone new to the carbine game. If your friend wants a Ruger, good luck with it and I hope it runs.

It's not your money, don't sweat it.

This way he won't be able to turn around and say "see, I told you I should have bought an XXX like I wanted..." the first time he experiences a malfunction, no matter what the cause.
    twitter.com/ddbaxte

You can lead a horse to water ........

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by G60 View Post

This way he won't be able to turn around and say "see, I told you I should have bought an XXX like I wanted..." the first time he experiences a malfunction, no matter what the cause.
    This strikes me as very sound advice.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    If he really wants a Ruger, he should buy it and shoot it. It will probably be fine. I've seen all kinds of ARs break and all kinds run.
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    When talking with those that don't want to listen to what I have to say, I just stop talking. I have come to the realization that people will generally base their decisions on the advice of those that are the least qualified to give it.
    The same applies to the skills necessary for employment.
    For all too many it requires failure to begin the quest for knowledge and experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    With brand new Colt 6920's being available at under $1000, I'd suggest going that route for someone new to the carbine game. If your friend wants a Ruger, good luck with it and I hope it runs.
    Quote Originally Posted by G60 View Post

All of the above.

I don't bother flapping my gums at people that don't want to listen anymore.

Them: What should I buy?
    Me: Get a Colt.
    Them: Why?
    Me: I've never seen a factory Colt fail, I've seen every other brand fail at some point. If you want me to get into the details I can.
    Them: I'm going to get an Olympic, they look the same so they must be the same and they cost $700.
    Me: Okeedokie.

People sometimes say they want the details, but as soon as I start explaining the details their eyes glaze over and I know they aren't listening. Or they start asking me what free float rail to put on it.

At the end of the day though I'd rather them have the gun and come shoot with us. I resist the "I told you so" temptation but will give the knowing raised eyebrow when they have a failure. I don't have to sell this shit, this shit sells itself.

User Tag List