Thread: Trijicon RMR Issues

Trijicon RMR Issues

Has anyone had any problems with Trijicon RMR Red Dot sights? Unfortunately I have two and both have been sent in due to the dot disappearing after a number of rounds. The RMR01 (mounted on a Sig 45) was sent in twice and I finally argued for them to replace it (recently received and still testing). I also recently bought a Trijicon RMR07 and after 500 rounds through a 1911 9mm it too had intermittent red dot disappearing act (same problem as RMR01). I'm sure you all are wondering why would I buy another with the history I've encountered? I had Lasix done a few years back which ruined my ability to accurately use Iron sights (I'm ok with iron but wouldn't risk my life with it) so I did my due diligent's on red dots and Trijicon won. I really believed I had and anomaly, and its amazing what I can hit with this sight. I believe the test of a business is how it reacts when a problem occurs, in this case Trijicon's customer service responded fabulously. However my confidence is shaken with the advent of a second unit having the same problem. Maybe I'm just unlucky, or lucky I have encountered this problem at the range. Anyone with a similar story?

What is the mounting setup for each pistol?

I am not necessarily blaming the mount vs red dot. But most of the time the mounts have caused failures more than the dot going bad. This is why I went direct mill and most advise in this direction. Something a simple as screws incorrect length or torque can cause a dot to fail pretty terribly.

I hope you get this taken care of and can take advantage of the dot. Trijicon is very good of responding and trying to rectify the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Were these Type 1 or Type 2 RMR's? Also, like @Trukinjp13 said the mounting solution can make a big difference. Not all options are created equal.

Site Supporter
    To add to what has already been asked, how hard are you torquing the screws down? According to what trijicon has told me they need to be set to 11 inch pounds. Doing this fixed any issues I had with flickering on my type 1s. I did the same from the get go with my type 2 and again have had no issues. I am however using a direct screw version vs any kind of mounting plate/MOS setups.

I've experienced your same issues with Type 1 RMRs.

My fix has been:
    -Use Duracell batteries, not energizer
    -Clip a small piece of foam ear plug or a small "roll" of electrical tape and place it behind the battery contact on the RMR. This will aid in keeping the spring tension on the battery under recoil.
    -Adding a small piece of electrical tape to the battery so that it stays firmly planted to the battery socket.

Doing those mods has been 100% on pistols, rifles & shotgun (admittedly my 1301T has only received 25 rounds since RMR install, but it didn't flake).

Oils and Lotions SME
    I've seen many RMR failures, it's not uncommon.
    Hokey religions and ancient lubricants are no match for a good Group IV PAO

Owner 360 Performance Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Aray View Post
    I've seen many RMR failures, it's not uncommon.

Same here.

There are 2 types of RMRs: those that have failed, and those that will. I have two Type 1s that have both been back for service, both direct milled. My latest Type 2 has been OK so far, but I’m glad I have spares.

For me, a tiny dab of silicone under the battery seems to keep it from moving around. Electrical tape just dented the battery for me and lead to premature dead batteries.

And let’s not even start on Leupold DPPs.

RMR 2, direct mill - no problems so far after appx 3 - 4 years FWIW

User Tag List