Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W 3rd gen help

S&W 3rd gen help

I need help with the model number of a pistol I am looking for, Smith 3rd gen auto, 9mm, full size, blued, alloy frame in DAO. I saw one years ago and I almost bought it, wish I had because I liked it
    Thanks

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    I need help with the model number of a pistol I am looking for, Smith 3rd gen auto, 9mm, full size, blued, alloy frame in DAO. I saw one years ago and I almost bought it, wish I had because I liked it
    Thanks
    The S&W 5946 was the DAO full size 9mm in stainless and was issued in large numbers to the Canadian RCMP.
    The S&W 5905 was the full size blued model but it was not offered as a DAO as far as I know, it was a DA/SA with frame mounted safety & decocker like the 5906. But ostensibly with S&W 3rd gen nomenclature the pistol you describe would be a 5945. Quick Google-fu with that model number comes up with nothing, however.

Site Supporter
    If memory serves, I believe it should be a 5944. "59" = Full size 9mm, "4" in the 3rd slot = DAO, "4" in the 4th slot = black/blue alloy frame under blue/black steel.
    Last edited by Jason M; 04-22-2019 at 12:31 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    That's for revolvers.

Here's the page for the autos.

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/g...omatic-models/
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Stupid Google and iPhone.
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    If memory serves, I believe it should be a 5944. "59" = Full size 9mm, "4" in the 3rd slot = DAO, "4" in the 4th slot = black/blue alloy frame under blue/black steel.
    Yup, M5944. Relatively rare but not expensive. I had one with the Type 1 (square with hook) trigger guard. It may have been the only variant as DAO was really not popular in the late 1980s and early 1990s. Most were made in 1991 during the height of the 3rd Generation "Model of the Week". I saw a photo of one with a round trigger guard, but those were not released until well after the M5944 came out of the catalog. With S&W, nothing is certain, so it is hard to say whether it was factory or reworked.

The original DAO guns like the M5944 have outstanding triggers.

By far the best third-gen DA trigger that I've ever pressed was a 5946 in the local Cabela's display case from the last batch that were cleared out and sent to distributors a few years ago. Pretty sure it was engraved Holton, ME.
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    By far the best third-gen DA trigger that I've ever pressed was a 5946 in the local Cabela's display case from the last batch that were cleared out and sent to distributors a few years ago. Pretty sure it was engraved Holton, ME.
    A Houlton, ME gun would likely be a late LE model, possibly a gun meant for NYPD sales. Those later guns have DAO actions with second-strike capability. The earlier guns like the M5944 need the slide to cycle to partially cock the hammer. The action on the earlier guns feels a lot like the action from a well-tuned K-frame revolver.

I have several of the older 3953s. I wouldn't say any of them come close to the smoothness of my GP100 that's been deburred and smoothed. I don't have a deburred and smoothed K frame yet, but there are a couple in the queue waiting.

The internal surfaces that rub on some of the older, pre-MIM third-gen guns are actually astonishingly rough. Like they were machined on equipment with spindle bearings 10,000 parts past needing to be replaced. Then as now, quality in all aspects seems to have been a roll of the die. The MIM guns are more consistent. That's why I was astonished by the smoothness of the 5946.

I actually picked up a late-model 3953 TSW from the batch a couple years ago. When I realized that burrs on the slide were damaging the anodizing on the rails on the frame with just a handful of manipulations (Sigs can be shipped with a similar condition, so...), I put it in the safe until I get around to finishing the QC reworks.
    Not another dime.

User Tag List