Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Sig Sauer P320

Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    What is the diagnostic cue leading to deciding it is a faulty follower, vs a spring or a mag tube?
    Replacing faulty followers with known, good examples from other magazines that solves the feed issues.

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    Replacing faulty followers with known, good examples from other magazines that solves the feed issues.
    Have you noticed if your faulty followers tend to come from Checkmate-produced mags (stamped Made in USA) or Mec-Gar (Italy)? Both my CM/USA followers had tiny plastic "burs" I sanded off, while my four MG/Italy mags do not. This P320 has had one FTFeed in ~8k rounds, while using CM/USA mags, so no idea if it's related.

Also, both my CM/USA mags are so tight that the gun still will not reliably cycle if loaded 17+1, even after being kept full for 2 months. My MG/Italy mags never had this problem. I'd like to buy only MG P320 mags going forward, but this isn't easy to guarantee with online purchases...

CM/USA magazines.

The Italian ones have been drama-free. At purchase, we got 80 plus magazines (CM) with the pistols and then 40 additional mags per unit.

Some of us ordered additional magazines (I like to have 6 per pistol in my safe) and they were the Italian models. The USA magazines, for the most part, have been fine except for a few.....so overall, a small percentage.

Our guy that set up this order (who was told by the local shop that our's would be off the LE line) had a couple of mags give him some stoppages. If I am remembering right, a last round FTF where it almost stovepipes the last round. So tinkering around, we found that replacing the follower from a good mag solved it.

Being an armorer, I get special pricing on parts.....which truthfully, isn't all that great and when I bought parts, I found a site that not only beat Sig's "armorer" pricing, they actually were pleasant to deal with. I inquired by email, with a detailed list of what I needed, and nobody ever got back with me from Sig. So I called.....and got voice mail several times......during normal business hours.

A little frustrating....but not the end of the world. When I finally got to a real, live person, the parts I desired were either not available or cheaper elsewhere.

So I bought elsewhere. Not a small order either but nothing earth shaking.

But magazine followers are seemingly unavailable. So our guy, a die hard Sig guy, called Sig and said "Hey, but ours are off the LE line."

So they referred him to the LE guy....who told him "No, your guns aren't off a LE line because I sell all the LE guns in this region. Call Checkmate and inquire about followers."

Checkmate referred him to Sig.

Our guy isn't the Sig fan he once was.

My opinion? Make followers available. We don't "catch" magazines on reloads unless it's with retention so they get banged up. Our range is paved so we are rough on magazines.

It would be nice to get base plates and followers instead of having to purchase an entire new magazine.

Again, not the end of the world. We adapt to it....and have a generous yearly budget to work with.

Regards.

Is this good or bad news?

Pro Mag is now making compact and full-size P320 mags. I haven't seen nor used them and can't comment on how well they might work. They may be a good option for shooters who use an indoor range and/or shoot while standing on concrete. Save your factory mags for carry.

https://promagindustries.com/sig-sau...rd-blue-steel/

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

So, like a lot of people here, I think it's a combination of a lot of things. Sig as a company and QC is a big one. But if the pistol were good enough, I might be quite willing to overlook that. However, it's a crowded enough field that I can afford to be picky. I've tried/evaluated variations of Glocks, Rugers, M&Ps, PPQs, VP9s, 320s, Remington (*gasp*), FN, CZ, and Beretta. Each of them offers a little something extra to a customer who is willing to prioritize one thing over other things. Here's what I found I liked about the 320 when I tried it:

• Easy to "dial in" without much learning curve
    • Comfortable grip
    • Doesn't jump around in your hand
    • Easy modularity and lots of model options

But there are a few things that aren't "ideal" that other guns do better:

• The high bore axis means a jumpy (but reasonably flat) recoil impulse
    • The high bore axis contributes to a sight picture that isn't as nice, to me
    • The more vertically oriented grip angle isn't to my liking (I find that sharp grip angles help me to lock my wrists better)
    • The grip texturing is pretty minor, without a lot of good feedback
    • It's a harder pistol to trust than other designs

In short, while it's relatively easy to shoot, the ergonomics and confidence aren't there compared to other offerings. In the end, the striker-fired gun I was willing to plop down money for (over my hammer-fired guns) was the Beretta APX coupled with the recent frame safety kit (which I'm playing with right now). The bore-axis, ergonomics, and company reputation are all better, IMO. I much prefer a grip angle like a Glock or Steyr, but the overall ergonomics on guns like the VP9 and APX are better, with enough of a sharp grip angle to make it work. I also get a chassis system like the 320 and the ease of maintenance that comes with it.

Among those that I've tried, I'd put the following above the 320:

1. Beretta APX
    2. H&K VP9
    3. Walther PPQ
    4. Glock Gen 5

And those I'd put below the 320:

1. CZ p10
    2. M&P 2.0
    3. FN 509
    4. &c.

Fortunately, there is a plethora of high quality handguns being produced that to select from. As I originally said: ... in no way am I saying that the Sig P320 is better than the competition. My selection, however, is severely limited because in my jurisdiction the people with concealed carry licenses are limited to only two handguns. New high quality handguns are being introduced nearly every year. Although P320s are slowly becoming favorably selected, yet this auto-loader pistol does not appear to be favorably viewed by Pistol-Forum members and it did puzzle me - I'm frequently on the outside of what. As for my handgun selection it seems I'm always on the outside of whatever side there was. At any rate, I will not be changing my everyday carry handgun selection...but that could happen if I were to relocate to a more firearm friendly jurisdiction. I highly value the comments of my fellow PF members because the folks on PF really do know what they are talking about. IMHO handguns are merely tools and it is up to each individual to develop their own competency and proficiency to shoot accurately on demand with their chosen handgun(s).

Man charged in wife's shooting death blames gun maker Sig Sauer

Justin Schneider recently filed the negligence and wrongful death lawsuit in federal district court against the gunmaker on behalf of him and his wife's estate. Schneider is facing manslaughter and criminally negligent homicide charges in Otero County, Colorado in connection to his wife Wendy Schneider's death in December of 2018. Schneider’s lawsuit claims the shooting was an accident and occurred when he, his wife and son were at the kitchen table looking at the handguns each received as Christmas gifts. Schneider states his wife retrieved her P320 so they could compare it with the new guns. The suit states Schneider unloaded the gun by releasing the magazine and taking the bullet out of the chamber. When he later reloaded the gun and handed it to his wife, it discharged "firing one round through Wendy's finger, perforating her neck, and lodging into the wall of the master bedroom." Wendy Schneider died seven days later in the hospital after she was taken off life support.
    https://www.seacoastonline.com/story...ce/4254724001/

For me there are simply too many questions surrounding the reported unintended discharges to invest in the P320 platform. At this point, I just wouldn't feel comfortable carrying it. Hopefully, eventually, we will be able to definitively determine whether it is a QC issue, manufacturing issue, design issue, or no issue with the weapon at all. Until that time, I think I'll pass on the 320.

User Tag List