Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sig Sauer P320

Sig Sauer P320

In 2014 Sig Sauer released its P320. As with many new products there were some serious problems starting with the dangerous drop firing problem and the minor take down lever problems etc. There was a great deal of criticism directed at Sig Sauer and rightly so. Several individuals were injured and they will never be the same again. However, as I see it eventually Sig Sauer did remedy the problem. Many critics seem to ignore the fact that other firearm manufactures including Glock when decades ago they introduced their "plastic pistols" had recalls and modifications of their pistols. I believe the P320 is now a good firearm.
    Sig won military contracts for its M17 and M18 and many law enforcement departments have supplied their officers with P320s. The fact that a firearm manufacturers obtains military contracts and police contracts in and by itself does not carry a great deal of weight with me. For agencies including the military it appears to me that quality is not the primary issue. I believe agencies primary goal is obtain a decent/okay product for the least amount of money or for the greatest savings. Quality is secondary...and to tell you the truth I am not fully convinced that Glock's 19X submission was rightfully disqualified. Perhaps, Sig Sauer was given the contract because its bid was better than the bid submitted by Glock. I would not be surprise if Glock's 19X will be very popular with the public.
    Nevertheless, I do believe the P320 is now a really good semi-autoloading pistol. In fact I use the P320 90% of the time as my everyday carry. Now the reason why I wrote this post on the Sig Sauer P320 is because I fail to understand why the P320 is not viewed more favorable by my fellow Pistol-Forum members. Considering all the auto-loading pistol posts there are just not that many postings about the P320. Although I have the P320 and it is my preferred autoloading pistol, I am in no way saying that the P320 is better than a Glock 17/19, however believe it or not the P320 is a good pistol. Would anyone like to share their comments and views on the P320?

• I hate the P320 because I can shoot it faster than my P229 in most all metrics despite having spent enormous amounts of time dry and live firing my P229, and basically just picking the P320 off the table.
    • I tore two of them apart trying to figure out how to add a striker control type device to it, and it doesn't seem like the effect of a SCD will work without a manual safety. I wish it were an easy fix.
    • I like how the P2XX series guns' slide, barrel, and frame lock up. The P320 doesn't seem as expertly crafted with the bent tabs of the FCG, but it works so whatever.
    • I don't like the back of the slide because it isn't symmetrical, but it works so whatever.
    • I can really appreciate the machining that went into the slide to reduce the reciprocating weight on the full-size version.

Those are my thoughts. I haven't made the switch yet mostly because of the lack of a striker control device type setup.
    I'm so cheap I took all the shot up targets from Gabe White's class. Brown tape is cheaper than targets though...

I'm a big Glock guy, but currently in the market for a P320C or X-Compact. To get one in CA it has to be private party from a cop, and (if you can find one) they are typically 2-3x the MSRP due to supply and demand.

I'm mostly interested in the chassis modularity. Kudos to Sig for that. Particularly in a state constantly adding gun restrictions, the chassis versatility seems like a good hedge.

Being able to easily go from a compact to a full size grip could be advantageous when limited to two listed guns on a CCW permit. If I wanted a full size grip (maybe for a cold weather/exposed carry class) I could easily swap out. Or try a different thickness grip to get one that better fits my big hands.

The local CCW issuing agency will allow only modifications that are factory options. So technically putting a flat trigger shoe on a Glock would not be allowed. But Sig offers a factory flat trigger for the P320 so that would be allowed.

Not anticipating I would actually go so far as to swap out one of my two carry glocks for it, but I'm "P320 Curious."

I wouldn’t carry a pistol that didn’t have a means of controlling the striker.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Vending Machine Operator

Sig Sauer P320

For me it’s not that I hate the P320. It seems fine. It’s the fact that right now it’s a very loaded field of contenders. Glock is innovating and producing new demand-driven models at a pace I’ve never seen from them, with arguably the best quality control in the history of the brand. Beretta has likewise tuned in hard to consumer demand and is producing models accordingly. Smith & Wesson is building on major improvements to a design that was already good.

All three of those brands produce a line of pistols in direct competition with the P320, and all three, arguably, are in better ownership and management hands than Cohen’s Sig. Sig is playing A++ ball right now marketing and landing contracts, but under Cohen there’s ever increasing small parts outsourcing. In a dark alley I’d still trust a Glock or M&P more.

Again, I’d agree the P320 platform is maturing nicely. But right now the competitors trip my trigger just a bit more.

Though I confess to having impure thoughts about the optics ready XCarry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by LockedBreech; 04-22-2019 at 12:28 AM.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Nothing gives me the warm fuzzies quite like MIM gun parts made in India.

Starting in 2014 or so, I became interested in moving away from the Glock platform because I perceived that the competition had surpassed it technically. I owned a P320, but it didn't impress me. I tried the M&P, and was at the point of making the final decision to transition when the Gen 5 came out. The Gen 5 brings Glock up to, or exceeds, the other brands. Add to that the Glock track record, aftermarket, and extreme reliability, and there's no reason to change. It's not that I dislike the P320, it's that it's not the best choice. It's an okay choice, but not the best. I actually don't understand why the P320 is as popular as it is. It doesn't offer anything over the competition, and it's a much bigger pistol.

You haven't told us why it's your preferred auto loading pistol.

There are almost as many opinions about pistols as there are people. And, for the most part, each person is "right" about his choice in a pistol.

So if the members here are distributed about like the pistol owners in the world, you probably see posts about pistol platforms at about the rate those platforms are used. Many people like Glocks. M&Ps are very popular. Walther less popular and the may be less posts here about them.

P320s are just fine, too, but perhaps fewer people buy them.

Of the striker-fired polymer-framed pistols available, I prefer the P320. But others like other pistols for as many valid reasons as I like P320s.

If you like P320s, don't worry a bit. Head over to the SIGTalk forum and immerse yourself in all things SIG!
    Bob
    9MM: 92 Elite LTT, CenTac
    .45 ACP: Wilson Combat, Nighthawk, Dan Wesson, Springfield, Colt
    Confederate Civil War reproductions: 1863 Richmond rifle, Spiller and Burr revolver

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I wouldn’t carry a pistol that didn’t have a means of controlling the striker.
    Does the thumb safety block the sear or only the trigger? I suppose the same question is worth asking if the M&P series.

User Tag List