Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sig Sauer P320

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    Does the thumb safety block the sear or only the trigger? I suppose the same question is worth asking if the M&P series.
    I don’t have a real objection to the thumb safety version of the P320.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by KP View Post
    In 2014 Sig Sauer released its P320. As with many new products there were some serious problems starting with the dangerous drop firing problem and the minor take down lever problems etc. There was a great deal of criticism directed at Sig Sauer and rightly so. Several individuals were injured and they will never be the same again. However, as I see it eventually Sig Sauer did remedy the problem. Many critics seem to ignore the fact that other firearm manufactures including Glock when decades ago they introduced their "plastic pistols" had recalls and modifications of their pistols. I believe the P320 is now a good firearm.
    Sig won military contracts for its M17 and M18 and many law enforcement departments have supplied their officers with P320s. The fact that a firearm manufacturers obtains military contracts and police contracts in and by itself does not carry a great deal of weight with me. For agencies including the military it appears to me that quality is not the primary issue. I believe agencies primary goal is obtain a decent/okay product for the least amount of money or for the greatest savings. Quality is secondary...and to tell you the truth I am not fully convinced that Glock's 19X submission was rightfully disqualified. Perhaps, Sig Sauer was given the contract because its bid was better than the bid submitted by Glock. I would not be surprise if Glock's 19X will be very popular with the public.
    Nevertheless, I do believe the P320 is now a really good semi-autoloading pistol. In fact I use the P320 90% of the time as my everyday carry. Now the reason why I wrote this post on the Sig Sauer P320 is because I fail to understand why the P320 is not viewed more favorable by my fellow Pistol-Forum members. Considering all the auto-loading pistol posts there are just not that many postings about the P320. Although I have the P320 and it is my preferred autoloading pistol, I am in no way saying that the P320 is better than a Glock 17/19, however believe it or not the P320 is a good pistol. Would anyone like to share their comments and views on the P320?
    Oh look, a dead horse! Where’s my sledgehammer?

It’s not so much a dislike of the P320 as it is Sig’s questionable QC across their entire line-up these days. The Dropgate issue chapped the assets of many because Sig’s response was basically dismissive of the safety issue in the P320 not being completely drop-safe. That, and they apparently had some inkling of the issue before the public blew-up about the problem.

Nobody is denying other manufacturers have goofed up at some point. Gen 4 Glocks had brass-to-face issues, the 17M started self-disassembling in holsters, the M&P in 9mm suffered some accuracy issues, the list goes on. They’re building a device that helps contain a small explosion that launches a projectile, shit happens. The issue was Sig’s lack-luster response, coupled with their QC having been on the decline for some time.

Personally I like the P320 from a design stand point. The modularity aspect is cool plus the gun is aesthetically appealing. I bought one of the first P320 Compacts to come out, back when it was still considered the Carry size. I liked it well enough, minus my take-down lever getting insanely hot after 15 rounds but a trip back to the factory fixed that. I just like hammer-fired guns more.

If I had a reasonable amount of assurance I could pick up any P320 out of my LGS and it work as great as the current offerings from the competition I’d be all over it. I like Sig, my first pistol was a Sig so I tend to gravitate to their stuff. But recent postings by members in any of the P320 threads shows some significant variety in QC from pistol to pistol even in recently produced models.

I can’t find the posts right now, but I recall an LE member here having to send their gun back to Sig recently.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

The popularity here or lack thereof is the direct result on how SIG handled the 'recall' (gasp! Voluntary Upgrade). Personally, I've been running the P320 for going on four years without issue. My department has also adopted the P320 last December along with the local Sheriff's Office. Not to mention, the Ohio State Patrol has also adopted the P320 so in my realm, it's all P320.

Mentioning our recent upgrade, to date, the P320 has already outperformed our previous P30 V1's in both function and officer's ability to perform well with them.

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    Does the thumb safety block the sear or only the trigger? I suppose the same question is worth asking if the M&P series.
    From what I can tell, it appears the manual safety prevents the trigger bar and trigger from moving, in addition is pushes it down off the sear. If the trigger can't move, then it also can't push up on the striker safety lock. With a manual safety you'd have to defeat the spring tension in both the sear, and the striker safety lock to get the gun to fire.
    The original drop safety problem with the P320 was that the trigger itself was too heavy and had enough potential energy when dropped to pull itself.
    I'm so cheap I took all the shot up targets from Gabe White's class. Brown tape is cheaper than targets though...

Site Supporter
    I like them. My Sig P320 X-Five, X-Carry, and Sub Compact are in the 10 best striker-fired guns in my collection.

Ignoring Sig’s recent history of shoddy QC and their incredibly poor response to the revelation that the guns might fire when you drop them, the P320 just doesn’t do anything better than any of the other popular striker guns. For example, I’m already set up to run Glocks with guns, backup guns, guns of different sizes, holsters, boxes of spare magazines, mag pouches, spare parts, the knowledge of how to detail strip and maintain the gun. For another generic striker fired gun to unseat Glocks for me, I would have to shoot it so much better than the Glock that it’s not even a contest. Plus, I’m just not as comfortable carrying fully cocked striker guns without manual safeties or some kind of gadget like device. It takes a lot of money and effort to get set up for another gun. I’m not going to go through that to replace Glock with a gun that doesn’t offer me anything better than what Glock does.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Hammertime
    Just to pile on:

I like the Glock because with an SCD I can control the striker positively while holstering.

If someone has their heart set on a fully cocked striker design, I recommend:

HK VP9
    M&P
    Walther PPQ

In that order.

I shoot the VP9 marginally better than a Glock, maybe, but the lack of striker control while holstering leads to slight trepidation every time I holster. Probably a good thing, but the Glock is just less drama.

I never recommend the P320 due to all the issues in the OP, and I don’t feel it offers anything the others listed above don’t. Plus screw Sig for how they managed all of this.

Sig Sauer P320

I’ve shot around 50000 rounds through p320s and p320c’s. In my hands, they are marginally better than Glocks, and mine have been very reliable. I could be happy shooting and carrying them.

However, after my switch to CZ hammer fired pistols, I sold my carry 320s, and don’t use my competition 320s.

And, I prefer Glock to Sig for defensive use.

The VP9 is solid, and the P10 looks promising.

I do not like M&Ps, and wouldn’t choose Walther for carry.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 04-22-2019 at 01:05 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    You haven't told us why it's your preferred auto loading pistol.

I preferred the P320 because I shot P320 and PPQ a little better than their competitors (however, this was prior to the release of Glock's generation 5 and the CZ). At the time I only had one auto loading pistol (S&W Shield which for my money is not a beginner pistol). I stuck with the Shield until I was finally able hit the target on a regular basis and that believe me that required discipline and extensive practice! My dominate hand was very uncomfortable with the finger grooves on the Glock and for that reason I eliminated the Glock 19. At any rate, I selected the P320 over the PPQ because for me I felt the PPQ out of the box trigger was too light for an EDC handgun. Additionally, I liked the ergonomics of the P320 and its modularity. Yet all the auto loading handguns that I compared were high quality and with the exception of those finger grooves on the Glock I believe I would not have been disappointed with any of the handguns. Despite becoming a Sig P320 fanboy, I still recommend renting and shooting as many of the top handguns and then to select the handgun that shoots the best and is the most comfortable. Frankly, I believe the Glock is a great auto loading handgun. It has an impeccable history for reliability - it just that those finger grooves didn't work for me (others may have felt the same way and perhaps that is the reason that the Generation 5 does not have finger grooves - quien sabes).

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I do not like M&Ps, and wouldn’t choose Walther for carry.
    I was wondering if you had tried the M2.0s? I absolutely hate my first-gen M&P and never use it, but I like my 2.0s a lot. They feel and shoot like very different guns.
    Last edited by LockedBreech; 04-24-2019 at 03:22 PM.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

User Tag List