Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Wilson/Beretta Centurion Tactical......

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    There is no such thing as “a spring that does not need replacement.”

Wilson claims the flat wire lasts longer than conventional springs. Actual experience with flat wire springs has been mixed.

I think they're right! But that's because most people won't shoot enough rounds to need it.

Jokes aside, I have flatwire in one wilson 9mm 1911 compact and I've seen considerable improvement in feeding and functional reliability (that combined with the new ETMs). But I've not tested longevity over time, as I just replace them every few thousand rounds anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFries View Post
    On their item description it say it will "reduce muzzle flip and never require replacement" but I figured this was a bit exaggerated. I do wonder if it will last at least twice as long considering the flat wire kit is about 4 times the price of a regular recoil spring
    I didn't detect any reduction in muzzle rise, with either the 1911 or the 92. The spring lasted for about 10k rounds in the 1911 before it gave up, not really worth the squeeze when you consider you have to buy the proprietary guide rod every time. The spring gave out even sooner in the 92 and led to premature locking block failure. All in all, not one of Wilsons better products.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I didn't detect any reduction in muzzle rise, with either the 1911 or the 92. The spring lasted for about 10k rounds in the 1911 before it gave up, not really worth the squeeze when you consider you have to buy the proprietary guide rod every time. The spring gave out even sooner in the 92 and led to premature locking block failure. All in all, not one of Wilsons better products.
    Good to know. Thanks for the info. Any thoughts on the blue rubber buffer pad that they include? It looks compatible with regular recoil spring guide rod and springs as well. I figured it was unnecessary but didn't know if it was detrimental at all.

Site Supporter
    Good to know. Thanks for the info. Any thoughts on the blue rubber buffer pad that they include? It looks compatible with regular recoil spring guide rod and springs as well. I figured it was unnecessary but didn't know if it was detrimental at all.
    A shock Buff ?

They are supposed buffer the slide hitting the frame. They do that but their downsides far outweigh their upsides. They are a wear item and can come apart and impede function of the gun. I would never put one in a gun to be used outside the range.

The Shock Buff is another useless item (my opinion) that's more gimmick than improvement. It introduces an extra part into the guns internals that it wasn't designed for and one made from a perishable material that can bind up the gun when it decomposes. The fact is, there are plenty of parts on an aluminum framed pistol that will fail before the frame. You won't wear it out. The buffer introduced into the frame of the 90 series guns chambered in .40 S&W is a different animal that may have some benefit, but the Shock Buff is a gimmick.

More observations from the back of the classroom.

Now that I've confirmed function on the CenTac I've gone back to using my regular training gun for most of my shooting. I find that I prefer the full length gun for shooting and the CenTac for carry. There's really no difference in recoil, they're both big pistols chambered in 9mm after all. The CenTacs slide assembly is three quarters of an inch shorter, but it does have the addition of a rail on the frame, so the static weight is pretty close. However, the standard length pistol is far less blasty, at least on the indoor range where I do most of my shooting. I didn't notice it when I shot outdoors during my retirement qual, but there is a significant difference indoors. The shorter slide assembly does make a marked difference when carrying IWB though and it gives the CenTac a much handier feel all around.

User Tag List