Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wilson/Beretta Centurion Tactical......

How did you determine that they needed replacement at that interval? I’d like to know what to look for in my several compact-slide guns.
    The slides recoil impulse started to go a bit "soft", so I checked the springs length against that of a new one and found it to be three quarters of an inch shorter. I typically change a recoil spring at 3k rounds, but this one didn't seem like it had that much left in it.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

A few more observations: Recently, I started to experience an increasing number of light strikes. Lately, I've had several dead primers, but these were well struck and obviously dead from the factory. These were definitely light strikes. So, last night I broke the CenTac down and replaced the hammer spring with a new D Spring. The original was two or three coils shorter than the new one. I've never had a hammer spring go south at around 3k rounds, but shit happens. I also did a detail strip of the slide to make sure I didn't have any debris obstructing the firing pin. I didn't see anything notable or severe, but I cleaned it out anyway. Whatever was contributing to the problem seems to be solved.

The factory G lever is really special to disassemble. The FS lever can be a party, but the G is a bit worse. I've now had experience with the factory FS, G, as well as the factory G conversion unit and Wilson Combat single-sided lo-pro levers. I rate the factory G conversion unit as the best all around option, in terms of ease of maintenance and performance.

I've also started to experience failures to lock back on empty. I asked myself, "Self, when was the last time we cleaned these training mags?" Uh, well....... Problem solved. Maintain your gear Private Pyle.

I ordered a Versa Max 2 from Milt Sparks to replace the Wilson holster. The Wilson is a well made piece of gear. However, it has the Summer Special type of design, with the belt loops fixed to the holster body. This allows the gun to shift around on the belt which drives me crazy. Whereas the VM2 design provides much greater stability, especially with a large heavy gun like the 92. It also prints more than the VM2. Having used the Summer Special years ago, I knew that would be the case, but I was itching to get going with the CenTac. I should have been patient.

With over 3,500 rounds fired the CenTac is running well and it's time to move it into the role of shoot on occasion carry gun. My standard 92FS(G conv.) can now resume the role of "shoot into the ground and clean on occasion" training gun.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 06-19-2019 at 08:59 PM.

Site Supporter
    I've found a lot of the same things as others. Some small additions.

I bought a Wilson Compact Garry 92G (no action tune) after I bought the centurion vertec. Then I added a Langdon TJIB for the compact. the TJIB is out of the box better than the action tune. Maybe because of the Trigger bar not being the Wilson bar, but I also know (from speaking with them) that the Langdon gang works over every part.

So I decided to keep going, and bought a TJIB/NP3/Wilson-hammer from Brownells for the Vertec (which is largely a gun I'm going to use for IDPA). The one thing I didn't like is the hammer. Very subjective, but it felt like it "stacked" on DA. But definitely was a bit better on the SA. I switched the elite hammer back, and I actually like it better. I can definitely feel that the NP3 version is a little smoother than the non. Not sure it's worth the 60 buck difference, but it was fun doing it anyway.

I also bought the wilson holster, probably the same one that trooper bought and ALSO ordered a sparks.

Still really liking my return to TDA after a long time on other stuff.

Name:  BAA30507-AD8E-4B09-A66E-3ACF916800F3.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  51.1 KB I have enjoyed mine as well, 0 malfunctions to speak of but pretty low round count about 5-600. I do have the action tune DA pull just over 6lbs with single at 3.5 and smooth as butter with no noticeable stacking. Mine is pretty early production #20 and the only complaint so far is the finish has not held up very well but it doesn’t bother me.
    Rick
    Brave men defend themselves, braver men defend loved ones, Warriors defend strangers fools wait! The bravest man I know John 3:17!

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    One data point: it eats recoil springs at a faster rate than a full size 92. .
    A few more observations: Recently, I started to experience an increasing number of light strikes. Lately, I've had several dead primers, but these were well struck and obviously dead from the factory. These were definitely light strikes. So, last night I broke the CenTac down and replaced the hammer spring with a new D Spring.
    I bought my Cent Tac used from a friend. Not sure how many rounds are through it. He had put a Wilson Combat 14# flat wire recoil spring for the Centurion/Compact. According to Wilson, this spring doesn't need replacement. I wonder if anyone has verified this, and if so, maybe it would be helpful.

I also got some light strikes, probably 3 of them in a 300 round period. Mostly 124 gr Blazer Brass. I don't believe they were defective primers, because I did ignite all of them successfully with a second strike. Mine has the action tune from Wilson (but not the Wilson trigger bar). I called Wilson, and they said it probably has the 13# hammer spring in it. This was occurring from single action if I remember correctly, so not sure if adding the Wilson trigger bar would even help. I changed it to the 16# to approximate the D spring, and it has been OK now.

I do have the Wilson trigger bar on order anyway because the hammer falls in double action earlier than on pretty much any of my other Berettas. I am uncertain if this is a consequence of action tune polishing or a worn trigger bar.

Hammertime
    I had a bunch of light strikes with S&B ammo and 13# spring. I can’t recommend that weight. D spring solves all issues.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFries View Post
    I bought my Cent Tac used from a friend. Not sure how many rounds are through it. He had put a Wilson Combat 14# flat wire recoil spring for the Centurion/Compact. According to Wilson, this spring doesn't need replacement. I wonder if anyone has verified this, and if so, maybe it would be helpful.

I also got some light strikes, probably 3 of them in a 300 round period. Mostly 124 gr Blazer Brass. I don't believe they were defective primers, because I did ignite all of them successfully with a second strike. Mine has the action tune from Wilson (but not the Wilson trigger bar). I called Wilson, and they said it probably has the 13# hammer spring in it. This was occurring from single action if I remember correctly, so not sure if adding the Wilson trigger bar would even help. I changed it to the 16# to approximate the D spring, and it has been OK now.

I do have the Wilson trigger bar on order anyway because the hammer falls in double action earlier than on pretty much any of my other Berettas. I am uncertain if this is a consequence of action tune polishing or a worn trigger bar.
    There is no such thing as “a spring that does not need replacement.”

Wilson claims the flat wire lasts longer than conventional springs. Actual experience with flat wire springs has been mixed.

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFries View Post
    My experience with the flat wire spring in both the 1911 and the Beretta 92 indicates that this is patently false.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 06-20-2019 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    There is no such thing as “a spring that does not need replacement.”
    My experience with the flat wire spring in both the 1911 and the Beretta 92 indicates that this is patently false.
    On their item description it say it will "reduce muzzle flip and never require replacement" but I figured this was a bit exaggerated. I do wonder if it will last at least twice as long considering the flat wire kit is about 4 times the price of a regular recoil spring

Les Pepperoni has a linked video in one of the Beretta threads where he cycles his flatwire equipped 92 with just gripping the gun and shaking it. He shows it in slow motion and it is pretty interesting.

User Tag List