Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wilson/Beretta Centurion Tactical......

Wilson/Beretta Centurion Tactical......

This pistol has already been covered in detail, so just a few quick observations.

I finally acquired one of these last week and so far I've completed two range sessions totaling 500 rounds. Rounds fired consisted of my handloads of a 124 grain fmj bullet, propelled by 5.9 grains of Alliant BE-86. I didn't experience any malfunctions, nor did I expect to. This is my fifth B92 and they have all been rock solid in terms of reliability. Consequently, I didn't feel the need to wait until a 2k round count had been reached to post an opinion. This one is the "stock" Centurion Tactical, without an action job. The trigger gauges at 7.5 pounds on the DA and 4.0 pounds on the SA. This is within the range of my other pistols, which have a D Spring installed as this one already does. I find this set up to be perfectly adequate. Quite frankly, if you can't do good work with that you're better off spending you money on ammo and practice, rather than chasing down the trigger job rabbit hole. The guns accuracy is on par with my other 92s. This is to say, above average for a service pistol.

When the CenTac was introduced there was negative feedback regarding QC issues. I'm happy to report that none of those are present on this particular sample. Everything is machined straight and true, as well as proportional. The finish is as near to perfect as one can expect on a production gun and that's really all this is, a tarted up production Beretta specced out by Wilson Combat. This is not a bespoke custom piece, as far too many people seemed to expect when these were introduced. Regarding cost: the only 92 I own that's stock is an early production sample from 1977ish. The rest have been enhanced by me with parts from both Beretta and Wilson Combat. Those guns are set up in much the same fashion as the CentTac, sans the tritium front sight. When the cost of those pistols and parts are compared to the CenTac and its features, the price is quite comparable.

The ultra thin grips don't work for me, so I replaced them with a pair from Stoner CNC. Stoner has become my first stop for G10 grips. The contouring is excellent and the texture pattern covers the entire surface of the panel, something most other grip makers seem to be slow to catch onto. I haven't made any other changes to the pistol and don't expect to. Everything else seems good to go. The CenTac shoots straight on at 25 yards, with a #3 or drive the dot hold. No windage adjustment on the rear sight was necessary, something that's unusual for me. I debated between the CenTac and the Langdon LTT Elite. I like the feature set on both guns. However, with the addition of a tritium front sight on the LTT the cost becomes comparable. For a carry gun I prefer a tritium front sight to a fiber optic, so this was a requirement and one that's standard on the CenTac. In the end, the CenTac was simply in stock locally (Wichita Gun Club) and the LTT wasn't so CenTac is was. An LTT is in my future though, so I wasn't being exclusionary.

The CenTac has a frame rail so a new holster was required.

Since my usual source for holsters had the audacity to retire, I chose one offered by Wilson Combat. There's really nothing notable to report here. It's a quality leather IWB holster that dose its job, that's it. Once again, it was in stock so Wilson it was.

It was in the shooting where the CenTac had a few surprises for me. Beretta introduced the Centurion back during the 92s heyday in law enforcement. At the time I was a disciple of God's Gun and something of a Beretta basher, so I never sought one out and had no experience with that variant. I assumed, much like the Colt Commander, the CenTac would exhibit quicker slide cycling due to less slide mass. My assumption was correct, but I was surprised at how much this aided in keeping the muzzle down compared to a standard 92. During speed drills conducted between five and ten yards the CenTac proved to be quite flat shooting. I'm sure the added weight of the frame rail assisted in this. The front and back strap checkering is also an added plus over the standard 92. Taken as a whole, the CenTac is very secure and fast in the hand during shooting. When it was first introduced I was dismissive of Wilsons mag guide, which replaces the standard lanyard loop. I'll have to eat a bit of blackbird on that. It works exactly as advertised and is a nice addition.

In the end I can't make a single criticism about the Centurion Tactical. The particular sample is well put together and delivers as advertised. After another couple of range sessions it will become my EDC. Now, on to that LTT...……….

Postscript If I can offer any criticism it's this: Wilson's hype about tighter tolerances seems to be bovine feces, at least with this sample of one. The INOX 92 that's been serving as my EDC for the last six years and my current training gun with over 25k rounds through it are tighter in the slide to frame fit than the CenTac. The CenTac isn't loosey goosey by any stretch, but semi custom tight it isn't and looser than the two aforementioned standard production guns. When these collaborative guns were introduced I viewed that detail largely as snake oil, so it was expected. It means very little if anything in terms of accuracy and I doubted Beretta would make any special effort in that regard. Since the gun's a good shooter I have no worries over it, but it is the only negative data point and worth mentioning for that alone.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 04-20-2019 at 06:11 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

The combination of a full grip and intermediate length slide sure works well across many platforms — CenTac, Centurion, P30, VP9, Commander and the Glock G45 as examples.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The combination of a full grip and intermediate length slide sure works well across many platforms — CenTac, Centurion, P30, VP9, Commander and the Glock G45 as examples.
    Yes it does, but I was surprised at the difference between the standard length 92 and the CenTac. I normally start my training routine at 25 yards and work in to 5 yards. By the time I was at the 10 to 5 yard lines and pushing for max speed that attribute really started to evidence itself.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 04-20-2019 at 06:02 PM.

Probably a thread on this from years ago, pre the Brig Tac and newer choices, but I found my stockish Centurion with the crappy front sight to consistently outshoot my Elite 2’s with FO and trigger jobs. The longer slide radius seemed to come into play on lower prob targets, but for close to intermediate work, the shorter, lighter slide rocked for me.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Great to hear you are loving the Cen Tac, and am glad you received a nice example! Mine is one of the first 100 and the front of the slide is as not symmetrical. Doesn't really bother me as I didn't notice it until I specifically looked for it.

They are great shooters and surprisingly different that the full size pistols. I find it is nowhere near as muzzle heavy as the full size. That is probably why it is so flat shooting as you noticed.

There has been lots if letters spent concerning 'tighter tolerances'. It seems to me barrel lock-up is much more critical than slide to frame fit, and both my Brig Tac and my Cen Tac lock up really tight! As does my LTT! Trust me when I say that you will get an LTT...... And you will absolutely love it!!
    Last edited by JimLob65; 04-20-2019 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JimLob65 View Post
    Great to hear you are loving the Cen Tac, and am glad you received a nice example! Mine is one of the first 100 and the front of the slide is as not symmetrical. Doesn't really bother me as I didn't notice it until I specifically looked for it.

They are great shoiters and surprisingly different that the full size pistols. I find it is nowhere near as muzzle heavy as the full size. That is probably why it is so flat shooting as you noticed.

There has been lots if letters spent concerning 'tighter tolerances'. It seems to me barrel lock-up is much more critical than slide to frame fit, and both my Brig Tac and my Cen Tac lock up really tight! As does my LTT! Trust me when I say that you will get an LTT...... And you will absolutely love it!!
    I agree. Having fit up match pistols in years past, the fit of the barrel to the slide and in some cases how the lower barrel lugs fit into the frame (when present) are the real concerns over accuracy. Slide to frame tolerance really has little to no effect. This is why I role my eyes over concerns or advertising about tighter slide/frame tolerances. The simple addition of a match barrel doesn't amount to much either. Most gun companies use that as a selling point, but unless the barrel is specially fit to the gun it doesn't contribute much. In terms of barrel slide lock up the all of my 92s have been rock solid, so the CenTac isn't special in that regard.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 04-20-2019 at 06:25 PM.

I started getting back into centerfire pistols about the time the SIG Legion was introduced and soon after the Brig Tac was introduced. Being an old DA/SA guy who had owned a couple of Elite IIs I just love the re-introductios of these hopped up Beretta 92s!! All these pistols shoot WAY BETTER than I do. It's a great time to be a Beretta fan.

I'd like to see Wilson Combat update the BrigTac with the CenTac's front sight and mag guide.

We really need to see more high vis tritium front sight options for the 92 from Ameriglo/Trijicon.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    I'd like to see Wilson Combat update the BrigTac with the CenTac's front sight and mag guide.

We really need to see more high vis tritium front sight options for the 92 from Ameriglo/Trijicon.
    You can add the mag guide to the Brig Tac and end up at the same price point as the Cen Tac. I did so myself.

Quote Originally Posted by JimLob65 View Post
    You can add the mag guide to the Brig Tac and end up at the same price point as the Cen Tac. I did so myself.
    Sure, and I have a mag guide on my BrigTac that I've added, but the BrigTac has remained stagnant while the CenTac now comes with these features standard. I also find it weird that the more compact model (the CenTac) comes with higher capacity magazines than the full size.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

User Tag List