Thread: From Pearl Harbor to the Chosin

Site Supporter

From Pearl Harbor to the Chosin

Here's a good article on a 96-year old Marine vet who passed away this week in Spokane. He was injured at Pearl Harbor, served through the war and was recalled to service during the early days of the Korean war, where he was wounded on December 5. The photos accompanying the article say he was at Chosin, likely where he was injured, given the date.

I can't imagine the stuff he went through and saw.

"During the next two years, Garland served aboard the Tennessee and participated in the Aleutian, Marshall and Gilbert Islands campaigns.

After the war ended in 1945, he married, moved to Spokane and started a family. But soon the Marines came calling again.

In 1950 he was recalled to active duty when the Korean War broke out. He spent 10 months in Korea with the 1st Marine Division. While he was one of the youngest at Pearl Harbor, when he landed at Inchon, he was one of the oldest.

“They called me, Dad,” Garland said. He was 27.

Just like in Pearl Harbor, he didn’t get out of Korea unscathed. During a firefight, a bullet ricocheted and struck him in the leg."

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...r-survivor-di/

Semper Fi Marine. Had the privilege of having a beer with a 0311 who was at Chosin. Hard motherfuckers who made me feel like I didn't earn the title or mos.
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 04-20-2019 at 04:36 PM.

A local Marine passed away a week ago: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romus_Burgin

If you saw the miniseries "The Pacific", he was portrayed in it.

I got to meet him a few years back, and he autographed a copy of his book for me. We both served in the 5th Marine Regiment, but in different battalions and obviously at different times.

He was a very fine gentleman, and it was a really pleasure to chat with him for an extended period.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    A local Marine passed away a week ago: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romus_Burgin

If you saw the miniseries "The Pacific", he was portrayed in it.

I got to meet him a few years back, and he autographed a copy of his book for me. We both served in the 5th Marine Regiment, but in different battalions and obviously at different times.

He was a very fine gentleman, and it was a really pleasure to chat with him for an extended period.
    You’re a lucky guy.

May God have mercy upon, and rest, his soul. The man fought evil and made the world a better place.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    You’re a lucky guy.

May God have mercy upon, and rest, his soul. The man fought evil and made the world a better place.
    I have been extraordinarily lucky many times in my life, more often than I enjoy thinking about.

User Tag List