Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First range session with M&P 4" compact...

Thanks for comments.

I'm liking this gun so far except the manual safety paddle comes too far out.
    It is right where thumb rests on the frame. I have to think not to push it up. Probably training issue.
    Not that big deal for range but I can imagine it engaging/disengaging when walking/bending etc... if holster does't have guard for the safety for carrying.

Size is fine but shorter or flush safety like they have in the Shield is better for carrying.
    Last edited by Mystery; 04-22-2019 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
    Thanks for comments.

I'm liking this gun so far except the manual safety paddle comes too far out.
    It is right where thumb rests on the frame. I have to think not to push it up. Probably training issue.
    You're on point man, 100% a training issue!

Universal practice for shooting a defensive handgun with a safety is to have your thumb on top of it, not just resting but tensioned to some degree. Doing such prevents the safety from inadvertently engaging. This is why the safety on a "fighting gun" is built purposely wide.

Ignore Rob Pincus' shilling, but here's a video demonstrating proper use. I'm sure there's a better video but this is what I found off the bat:
    Last edited by TGS; 04-22-2019 at 11:49 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Concur with the recommendations to try gel earcups. Non-gels (regardless of brand) just don't seal on my noggin, even without eye pro.

For the M&P thumb safety, it's possible to get a kydex holster molded so that the safety is fixed "on safe" and prevented from disengaging while in the holster. As TGS mentioned, try leaving your strong hand thumb on top of the safety while shooting.

Looking at your target photo, I'd suggest that next trip you bring something (i.e. big paper or cardboard) large enough to cover the backer, and then put your targets on top of that, so you have shot accountability. If you'd yanked a round off the target, and onto that swiss cheese backer the range provided, would you know for sure where it went? Many of us will often use something like an IDPA or USPSA cardboard silhouette with something smaller (like a B-8C) pasted in the center, so any misses are painfully obvious. The repair center can be changed often at minimal expense. IMHO, a common mistake is to not paste/tape or change targets frequently enough to tell exactly where every round hit.
    Last edited by Dave J; 04-22-2019 at 01:46 PM.

Post 2nd session...

I went back to the range today and shot for around half an hour taking my time.
    I finished the leftover Federal champion ammo and switched to Remington UMC 115gr.
    The Remington felt better. There's not much price difference so I'll go with the Remington.

I tried to focus on the front sight as much as I can.
    I think the front sight needs to be slightly over the rear to hit where I aim.
    It could be just me compensating for other things like squeezing the trigger.

I also tried the front sight completely over the rear and that hit higher so I think the gun/sight is okay.
    I need more practice.

Anyways, I had 5 or 6 out of 45 rounds close to the red dot, in the middle square at 7 yards.
    Better than first session I think.

Btw, today I was on the rifle bay and there was one guy two lanes over and he was shooting some type of AR rifle, I think it was AR 10 or 15.
    It was first time I ever heard rifle that close and even with double protection (I used range's earmuffs this time with earplugs underneath), the compression hit me every time he shot.
    He had the hostage target in 90 degree rotate mode and he would shoot two rounds at the bad guy every time it faced him.
    Nice little practice mode but I'd go to pistol bay next time. Rifles are too loud, even though he was two lanes over.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
    I went back to the range today and shot for around half an hour taking my time.
    I finished the leftover Federal champion ammo and switched to Remington UMC 115gr.
    The Remington felt better. There's not much price difference so I'll go with the Remington.

I tried to focus on the front sight as much as I can.
    I think the front sight needs to be slightly over the rear to hit where I aim.
    It could be just me compensating for other things like squeezing the trigger.

I also tried the front sight completely over the rear and that hit higher so I think the gun/sight is okay.
    I need more practice.

Anyways, I had 5 or 6 out of 45 rounds close to the red dot, in the middle square at 7 yards.
    Better than first session I think.

Btw, today I was on the rifle bay and there was one guy two lanes over and he was shooting some type of AR rifle, I think it was AR 10 or 15.
    It was first time I ever heard rifle that close and even with double protection (I used range's earmuffs this time with earplugs underneath), the compression hit me every time he shot.
    He had the hostage target in 90 degree rotate mode and he would shoot two rounds at the bad guy every time it faced him.
    Nice little practice mode but I'd go to pistol bay next time. Rifles are too loud, even though he was two lanes over.
    I hate shooting near people shooting short barreled ARs, even though I like shooting them. Especially indoors, I wouldn’t be that close to one.

How far away is your target when you are shooting? ETA: oh, 7 yards. I like to start people out at what they think initially is a ridiculously close distance: 3 yards or less. And I like a less “busy” target: a simple circle or square, maybe a B8 center or some other 8” shape. After you can keep all shots in an 8” circle (paper plates are good targets), then and only then do I like to have the target start moving further out, or shoot at smaller shapes like 2” circles, and then 1” squares.
    Last edited by Duelist; 04-24-2019 at 07:50 AM.

User Tag List