Page 55 of 68 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast

Thread: Seriously considering going back to the 1911 for carry. Anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    How is the SME as far as positioning the thumb safety?

Site Supporter
    @StraitR - thanks for posting the pics. It sure looked like the safety was protected in theJanitor's photo.

Nice looking rig.

@StraitR - thanks for posting the pics. It sure looked like the safety was protected in theJanitor's photo.

Nice looking rig.
    Thanks. Old pic. Both have gone down the road.

As far as the SME protecting the safety, I didn't have an issue. The thick leather sweat guard (part of the mouth reinforcement) prevented the safety from being disengaged, at least on my examples. Of course, with all things 1911, different guns (with different safeties) may have a different result.

ETA: Looks like theJanitor has his hammer down/safety off, giving the appearance that it's protected.

My one and only complaint about the SME, is that it was thick. Aside from that, it was hands down the most comfortable holster I've ever used, period. I love leather for comfort and old fashion aesthetics, but a kydex holster like the JM Claw 2.0 (or similar) is so much easier for me to conceal. That, and the kydex doesn't hold moisture that can promote and accelerate oxidation on some finishes.

Another older pic, but helps illustrate the thickness...
    Last edited by StraitR; 08-22-2019 at 07:41 PM.

Seriously considering going back to the 1911 for carry. Anyone else?

Mine was good to go as well with 2 Custom Colts and a Guncrafter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by newyork; 08-22-2019 at 07:38 PM.
    Rich

Director of R&D and product acquisitions at Empire Outfitters

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post

ETA: Looks like theJanitor has his hammer down/safety off, giving the appearance that it's protected.
    Yes, the hammer is down, and therefore the safety is off. The SME effectively prevents most extended thumb safeties from disengaging. My JM examples do not do this. My modified DSG rigels actually engage the safety if they are reinserted with the safety disengaged

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Yes, the hammer is down, and therefore the safety is off. The SME effectively prevents most extended thumb safeties from disengaging. My JM examples do not do this. My modified DSG rigels actually engage the safety if they are reinserted with the safety disengaged
    Did the same mod to my kydex to activate the safety on insertion.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I know theJanitor feels similarly, so I'm just expounding on his post.

IMO, a good 1911 holster should prevent the safety from being disengaged. Even better, are holsters that will engage the safety should one have a brain fart moment and forget. Some of this has to do with the safety, not the holster. I had to modify my JM Claw 2.0 to keep the safety from being disengaged, however it will not engage it.

Site Supporter
    All good posts.

My JMCK holsters do prevent the safety from being disengaged.

I am still giving the SME serious thought.

I know theJanitor feels similarly, so I'm just expounding on his post.

IMO, a good 1911 holster should prevent the safety from being disengaged. Even better, are holsters that will engage the safety should one have a brain fart moment and forget. Some of this has to do with the safety, not the holster. I had to modify my JM Claw 2.0 to keep the safety from being disengaged, however it will not engage it.
    I have 2 JMs. One 2.0 with DCC that will engage the safety and one with ptd that doesn't. Kinda got the second one on accident but works well for uspsa where I need to reholster with the hammer down.

I had to modify my JM Claw 2.0 to keep the safety from being disengaged, however it will not engage it.
    My JMCK holsters do prevent the safety from being disengaged.
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I have 2 JMs. One 2.0 with DCC that will engage the safety and one with ptd that doesn't. Kinda got the second one on accident but works well for uspsa where I need to reholster with the hammer down.
    I just got a big bundle of JM goodness a couple of days ago, including a IWB3 for a Commander. My understanding from Tony is that by default they will not form a shelf under the safety, but if you ask them to in the comments they will. I corresponded with him after I bought a second one and ASSumed it would have the shelf like the first one did, but he said they were experiencing too much variations in the various 1911 safety levers. He said if you have a pretty typical extended safety they can form the shelf under it.

User Tag List