Page 52 of 68 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Thread: Seriously considering going back to the 1911 for carry. Anyone else?

I just recently sold my Shield 9mm and Glock 27 and purchased a Springfield EMP in 9mm. It's my wife's fault, actually because she asked me which gun I shot the best and I told her that I had a Colt Defender that always destroyed the center of the target. She asked why I had gotten rid of it and I couldn't come up with a viable answer. She asked what gun I would get if I could have any gun and I told her probably a EMP. She told me to go look at one and I did, told her that was the gun for me. She told me to go get and I ran down there before she could change her mind.

Took the gun to the range and love it. Not going back.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Besides my own experience with guns, back when I was a mechanic in a bike shop we had a few customers whose sweat would just destroy the paint and cables on their bikes if they used them on trainers. Extra corrosive sweat is unfortunately a thing some of us have to deal with.
    <thread drift>
    My retirement job is working in a bike shop, and we've had two bikes come in on which the bars had corroded through about where the shifters are attached. Both bikes were trainer slaves whose triathlete owners expressed surprise that their bikes needed to be maintained, even when confined to a trainer.
    </thread drift>

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    <thread drift>
    My retirement job is working in a bike shop, and we've had two bikes come in on which the bars had corroded through about where the shifters are attached. Both bikes were trainer slaves whose triathlete owners expressed surprise that their bikes needed to be maintained, even when confined to a trainer.
    </thread drift>
    Most likely galvanic corrosion due to dissimilar metals and fueled with sweat.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Most likely galvanic corrosion due to dissimilar metals and fueled with sweat.
    They didn't break at the point where the metals met, it just happened to be in that vicinity. Even with a powerful fan, one sweats more indoors on a trainer than on an outdoor ride, plus the sweat runs down one's arms to the hands and onto and under the bar tape. The hands are usually positioned on the shifters, which is why the sweat ends up there.

I used to play guitars with a guy who would corrode a set of strings in a few hours. It was not uncommon for him to break the little E string by the end of the night.

He had a little electric screwdriver with a string winder on it. Could change a set of strings like a Nascar tire change!

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    I used to play guitars with a guy who would corrode a set of strings in a few hours. It was not uncommon for him to break the little E string by the end of the night.
    By "guy" do you really mean : ?

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Rose View Post
    Not sure you want to buy/vet a new pistol, but a Guncrafter No Name Government model might be worth a look. Slide/frame are melonite, so your looking at the same corrosion resistance as a poly Glock or HK. Not sure on their small parts though, so that might still be an issue.
    I remember taking a strong look at the no name before I bought my Dan Wesson Valor. The DW Duty treat is another ferretic nitrocarbonization treatment like melonite or Severn's Hard Hat. I've got to look into options like that for my 92s.

Love my DW, and wouldn't hesitate to carry it. I don't own any holsters for it though.

-Cory

I play guitar, no rust. I ride a bike semi-professionally, no rust. Yet with guns I have a different story.

Thanks for the suggestions on finishes.

I’ve received some great suggestions, and after trying out grease, I think this will work for the time being. I’ve got Lucas extreme duty grease holding down the fort under my thumb safety with no rust for the last week.

Site Supporter
    bought my second 1911: 9mm RO Elite Springer. Couldn't be happier. Accurate and reliable.

I'm about to run head first into 1911 fanaticism.

Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    bought my second 1911: 9mm RO Elite Springer. Couldn't be happier. Accurate and reliable.

I'm about to run head first into 1911 fanaticism.
    Cool. What is the other?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List