Page 51 of 68 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: Seriously considering going back to the 1911 for carry. Anyone else?

BK14, I can only speak for me but some platforms do not interfere with the "software". I can switch between my 1911's and LEM HK's no problem. I was able to do this without any special effort. I suspect its because I have a good deal of time behind 2 stage trigger AR's and my brain just accepts LEM's as same, same. Now, if I toss a TDA in the mix at a range session I now have a problem. It horks me up with everything. So even though I switch between two platforms, its only platforms I know I dont have an issue switching between. If I decided I was going to carry the Beretta, I would likely dedicate to only that system once I achieved a complete retrain to be able to do so. But I am very happy in the land of 1911 and LEM so the Italian is for range fun and because I always wanted one

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Rose View Post
    I think a lot of us would agree with this sentiment, especially about wasting a lot of time searching for the perfect pistol.
    The "Holy Grail of Handguns" (or rifles, or shotguns) is eternally just a step away. Take that step and the next "HGofH" pops up in front of you.

I only started breaking away from the perpetual chase of the perfect pistol after I realized that:

a. 40+ years of searching had still not identified the perfect pistol
    b. any handgun I would buy from here on was statistically likely to not only outlive any use I would have for it, but bring my estate pennies on the dollar.

gn

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    The "Holy Grail of Handguns" (or rifles, or shotguns) is eternally just a step away. Take that step and the next "HGofH" pops up in front of you.

I only started breaking away from the perpetual chase of the perfect pistol after I realized that:

a. 40+ years of searching had still not identified the perfect pistol
    b. any handgun I would buy from here on was statistically likely to not only outlive any use I would have for it, but bring my estate pennies on the dollar.

gn
    Made me laugh, and I agree with it completely.

Luckily it only took me 20 years to get to the same conclusion. I will say I’ve always been a single action cocked and locked with manual safety guy, so haven’t wasted that much time transitioning between different trigger systems. My journey was HK USP 45 -1911 - HK USP 9mm - Browning HI Power - HK P30/HK45/1911/USP 45. So while I’ve searched, they’ve all been the same manual of arms and take little effort to move between.

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    Carrying a 1911? Only when I am wearing a coat or jacket.

I'm over sixty and have fooled away a lot of time, trouble and coin on handguns in the last 45 years. That in the year 2019 I am this close - holding thumb and forefinger about 1/4" apart - to saying that a 1911 and a 640 were all I ever needed for SD is surprising to me.

But that is what it has come to.

gn
    It’s funny how many “better mousetraps” are created in the name of progress when all you needed was what you started with. Definitely made me do a double take on my own perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apparently I came across way more amped than I was intending.... sorry if that came across as elitist, condescending, or finger wagging, not my intention.

As a generality, if you can avoid it, it’s worth not switching platforms. I get if you just can’t carry a full size cause of work or personal restraints then you have to carry something smaller which is a compromise, and that smaller system may be a totally different trigger like a j frame.

Same thing, carrying a smaller gun as a backup, like a j frame is also going to be a compromise on a different trigger system.

Again. Wasn’t trying to be an ass, I just feel like the 1911 requires certain things when used defensively, that is pretty different than a lot of the striker guns we use. I’ll shut up on the subject for now lol

Quote Originally Posted by BK14 View Post
    I don’t want to beat an already very beaten dead horse..... Do you carry a firearm professionally? If so, (and even if not to a somewhat lesser degree) please consider the implications of switching platforms.

Unless you’re one of those very few people who I greatly envy that can transitions between platforms with no performance loss, you’re never going to perform as well on either platform, compared to sticking to one. Safeties, grip angle, grip size, the index on the gun when you draw, the trigger, your reloads, the trigger, the way you index on your reload, the trigger, how you drop the slide, the trigger, etc. are all so different that it’s going to hinder performance.

If you’re a professional, I think it is irresponsible to be switching platforms on a regular basis. If you’re a civilian, who accepts the loss of performance because you just enjoy carrying different guns, I’m not gonna fight you on it, just realize that you’re potentially lowering your effectiveness in a defense situation.

I work for a Glock agency. I’m approved through a transition school to carry a 1911. I own multiple Glocks, I love Glock’s for what they are, I just got a 48 not too long ago and I love it. But a few months ago when I decided to transition myself back to a 1911 from my Glock 34, I went all in. When I walk out my door, my 1911 goes in my waistband, when I get to work it goes into my Safariland, when I go back home, it’s back in the waistband. All weekend, it’s on me.

I’m not taking the chance that I’ll suffer a performance loss if I have to use lethal force to defend my life or another. If I screw up with my firearm, legal implications aside, I don’t want it on my conscious that I could have performed better had I stuck to one platform.

In a few weeks when my 1911 goes down for service, I’ll do a train up, shoot a ton of rounds, and transition back to my Glock 34. But not until I’m very comfortable performing with that platform.

All this may be moot, you may not care, and that’s totally cool with me. I’m not a SME, just a dude. Just wanted to present some thoughts that maybe you hadn’t considered.

Respectfully, BK
    The only negative I've found is sometimes I do sweep an invisible safety on my G17 when drawing.

Other than that, I haven't noticed any issues

Well. Hopefully cerakote holds up better than bluing with grease and oil.

Went on a bike ride. Got home, took the gun off and found this:

But man. Shot a 99 in passing time on the test strong hand only yesterday. I love the 1911.

Yikes. You’re one of those people with corrosive sweat, I guess. NP3+ is probably worth the coin in your case.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Yikes. You’re one of those people with corrosive sweat, I guess. NP3+ is probably worth the coin in your case.
    This, I’m one of those people too. My toxic sweat ate the clear coat off the aluminum frame of a s&w 642 in one day, and destroyed the slide lock spring on my glock 26.

Besides my own experience with guns, back when I was a mechanic in a bike shop we had a few customers whose sweat would just destroy the paint and cables on their bikes if they used them on trainers. Extra corrosive sweat is unfortunately a thing some of us have to deal with.

Not sure you want to buy/vet a new pistol, but a Guncrafter No Name Government model might be worth a look. Slide/frame are melonite, so your looking at the same corrosion resistance as a poly Glock or HK. Not sure on their small parts though, so that might still be an issue.

User Tag List