Page 5 of 68 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: Seriously considering going back to the 1911 for carry. Anyone else?

Why not?

Some people actually carry revolvers (me).

I'm in the 'makes no difference what you carry as long as you know how to use it' camp.

Way too many people get hung up on the gear these days.

Last weekend I shot a steel challenge match. One of the guys on my squad ran his EDC 1911. He had no problem keeping up with the plastic guns and he managed to beat everyone that day for overall score.

Student
    Just wondering, of the pistol classes you went to with a high round count, did you ever take one of your 1911s or did you go strictly HK?

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy1 View Post
    Last weekend I shot a steel challenge match. One of the guys on my squad ran his EDC 1911. He had no problem keeping up with the plastic guns and he managed to beat everyone that day for overall score.
    unpossible . whomsoever carries a single stack pistol is doomed to instant catastrophe , so says the Internet
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    A 1911 is a fine choice; I carry one of my Wilson Combat pistols frequently.

There is the EDC X9 to consider if capacity is a concern.
    Agree on both. The EDC X9 isn't a perfect sub for a 1911, but it's close. I am deciding if I need to fund a second one.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Rose View Post

So far the 1911 in a SME is the most comfortable setup I have ever tried.
    If you've already got the SME for the 1911, and it's a well built piece (by the pics, I'm assuming so), AND you shoot it the best, it's a reasonable choice.

I've got a Colt in transit to MARS right now, to update into a EDC piece

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I have a 9mm Wilson that I love, only reason I’m not currently carrying it isn’t it doesn’t have a red dot on it.
    Call bob Reeves at Nighthawk. He'll square you away.

He installed the RMR on my LW CCO. He also just confirmed that he can do the RMR install on a tri-top Wilson EDC X9, and fab up a front sight (the EDC X9 sight is proprietary)

Nothing wrong with a 1911 for carry in my opinion, and I really like the looks of your Colt.

Carry on!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    Has anything really changed so much?
    No not really, (as you know) you can still get a really good one or a really crappy one based on the manufacturer, specs, and price range.

I think one thing that changed is that some well respected military and law enforcement organizations transitioned away from the 1911 to other pistols. This was done for some pretty good reasons, mostly related to the labor and cost associated with keeping a large number of 1911s running properly. The 1911 can be a terrific pistol for the knowledgeable individual user, or even units who want to invest the time and resources. But it's easier and more cost effective to issue a large number of modern polymer framed guns than a fleet of steel 1911s.

The news of those units transitioning away from the 1911 had an impact on viewpoints within the larger shooting culture.

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    I think it sounds like a great option for you.

I think @StraitR carries a 1911 most of the time and has for sometime. He may be able to recommend holsters, parts, routines, or other helpful stuff.

If you can afford multiple pistols, the support gear, and you love the guns then do it. Strikers dominate the market, DA/SA have their followers, but 1911s are still very capable. I love my Dan Wesson.

-Cory
    I did for two years, but bailed for something lighter when the Gadget became a reality. Mine was a steel frame 9mm commander, so that played a part. If I do it again, it will be a lightweight 9mm Commander. The glocks (19.5/43) have been working really well for me, so I don't foresee a change. That, and red dots are in my near future, so that's also 1911-prohibitive as well.

Holsters.... I used a 5-Shot SME the whole time, and it was insanely comfortable, although a bit thick. That's my personal pick for leather, and I'd say any of our PF Business Supporter kydex benders if you want something thinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Yung View Post
    Just wondering, of the pistol classes you went to with a high round count, did you ever take one of your 1911s or did you go strictly HK?
    All classes were with either a USP Fullsize 9mm or a P30LS 9mm.

It's been a couple years since I've done a class, so I'm probably due for one. If I do go the 1911 route I'd like to do one just for the volume of rounds/repititions to wring out a new gun.

User Tag List