Page 4 of 68 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Seriously considering going back to the 1911 for carry. Anyone else?

A 1911 is a fine choice; I carry one of my Wilson Combat pistols frequently.

There is the EDC X9 to consider if capacity is a concern.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Rose View Post
    I'll be honest, I didn't think I was going to get responses reinforcing what I've been thinking. I figured (and maybe was secretly hoping for) the standard replies about how modern 9mm polymer just makes more sense.

Maybe I'm not thinking crazy then. My reasoning makes sense in my head why I think the 1911 will work for me, but I wanted to get other opinions as a sounding board for different perspectives in case I was missing something.
    Sounds good to me. I gave it serious consideration a couple years ago and then started to.

The obstacle I hit was the size and weight of my 2 full-size .45s for true EDC as in every dang day in close proximity with folks. More work than I remembered from back when that's all I carried but I only carried off post, mostly on weekends.

Go for it.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

With your strong familiarity with the 1911, I don't see any issues with you going back, especially since the one you will carry seems like an excellent pistol.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I went back to a 1911 for all the same reasons.

Reliability and maintenance is a non-issue in a properly built example. I have a pistol range at work and a ridiculous ammo budget so the rounds get put down range. I'm at a much higher round count with a Wilson than I was with a Gen5 Glock. Since transitioning I've been hit with no brass, my accuracy is consistently better, and I haven't worn out any trashy stamped sheet metal trigger components and wasted the time and hassle of trying to fix it. I have a much more comfortable and concealable carry pistol and when I post in the picture threads, the content is much cooler.

If you're not mandated by your employer to carry a (whatever you don't really like), why bother with it??

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    There are so many reasons for not carrying a 1911 when compared to polymer hi-cap pistols. But the 1911 always pulls me back in.....I am debating about purchasing a DW 1911 A2 parkerized. Its been on my mind for the last couple of weeks. So far I have resisted....but to quote the Borg (Star Trek Next Gen)...."resistance is futile".
    JAH 3rd,

Is it a bad thing if I point you to a 1911 forum with several DW pistols in their classified forum for about the list price of that A2?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Shorikid; 04-20-2019 at 08:28 AM.

Nothing wrong with going back to a 1911 as long as you can keep them running reliably. I went back to .45 myself about 6 months ago against popular opinion, and am very happy with my decision.

Let's see....If you are using quality 1911's and have a back up....press on. I love your comment on easier to carry extra magazines...so true of any single stack. Capacity will not overcome skill....we are conditioned by group think that we need a G17 with a +2 mag or we can't survive.

The down sides to me are the weight (for carrying) and WHO/SHO situations where even a plastic 9 is easier to control.

1911's sure are nice IWB. Very safe for AIWB.

Hopefully some dim bulb will chime in and argue about a safety on a carry gun.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Hopefully some dim bulb will chime in and argue about a safety on a carry gun.
    Not really likely to happen around here.

Assertions and arguments against the 1911, in any of its styles, are currently popular within "gun culture" writings, and have been so since around the latter '90s, especially on the internet, yet as recently as the latter '70s and throughout the '80s extending into the '90s, it was generally considered to be the premier self-defense pistol, especially in native .45 Auto form.

Has anything really changed so much?

Sure, we can mention such things as improvements in 9mm terminal ballistics, the lightweight reliability and lesser expense of polymer-framed pistols, the lower capacity of .45 Auto pistols, and the supposed unreliability of the 1911, but it remains true that all design improvements in 9mm ammunition are improvements in .45 Auto as well (which latter round outperforms the 9mm for any identical design), and that somewhat higher pistol weight and lower capacity in the 1911 aren't of ultimate or equal importance to everyone, and that the design of the 1911, when properly executed, is thoroughly reliable.

Add to this the never-surpassed quality of a properly-tuned 1911 trigger action, its capability for excellent accuracy and precision and the fact that long military experience with the 1911 design has made it perhaps the best-understood pistol in history (at least among aficionados and knowledgeable gunsmiths), and the balance of features, both pro & con, in comparing the 1911 to modern pistols as candidates for CCW and home defense really starts to look much more even.

Just sayin'. (Admittedly, I'm an old fart who likes and carries a tuned Colt Gunsite 1911 CCO in .45 Auto not infrequently.)
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Sounds good to me. I gave it serious consideration a couple years ago and then started to.

The obstacle I hit was the size and weight of my 2 full-size .45s for true EDC as in every dang day in close proximity with folks. More work than I remembered from back when that's all I carried but I only carried off post, mostly on weekends.

Go for it.
    For the weight, I'm still in so not allowed to carry on base, so carry is nights if I'm going out and weekends.

Size is not an issue. A 1911 is the same size as a P30L, and the 1911 is thinner so I find it'a actually slightly easier to conceal (not that the P30L is difficult). I'm 6'5" 230 so can hide one AIWB in a T-shirt or even a tailor fitted shirt.

So far the 1911 in a SME is the most comfortable setup I have ever tried. Need to get some AIWB mag pouches though.

User Tag List