Page 39 of 68 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: Seriously considering going back to the 1911 for carry. Anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    The Dan Wesson 9mm guns are known for being soft shooting, and I think it is at least in part due to the firing pin stop geometry as you mentioned. I've never fired one, and it's hard for me to imagine a 9mm 1911 that shoots softer than my Colts -- but that's what I've read elsewhere.

Anyway, cool gun! And I like those full checkered stocks.
    Only 9mm 1911 I ever fired was Mike Pannone’s DW Pointman. He gave it to me to try in a class. It was like shooting a cap pistol. I had been shooting my DW Valor in .45 and the difference was stark.

Still have some parts and pieces trickling in, but I'm back in the game thanks to @TC215.

^^^ looks great!

If you're still looking for a mag pouch I've found bawidamann vertical pouch to be the lowest profile.

Eta, could you measure from the bottom of the dcc clip to the bottom of the holster?

Since I trimmed some off of my 4" holster for my 2.75" holster and liking it if been thinking more and more about a commander.
    Last edited by 03RN; 07-23-2019 at 04:40 PM.

This thread reminded me how much I like 1911s. For a while, I carried a 3", which wasn't fantastic. Tough to control the recoil, not a lot of bullets onboard, heavy, not fantastic sight radius.

Carrying a full sized is basically the same, but better in every way. It's not even that much heavier.

In the killer heat-wave the northeast is getting, it's a J-Frame all day. But when the winter rolls around again, I'll be back to the 5" Springfield TRP, which I've been shooting in the local gun-games. Not a lot of competition in CDP/Single Stack Major these days, honestly; I've had a couple of division wins as a bad C-class shooter. Maybe there's some reason it's so unpopular, but I can't imagine what that could be .

Name:  TRP.jpg
Views: 910
Size:  99.8 KB

I love the harsh golf-ball pattern grips (VZ Recons in this case, but it's the same pattern as a few others). Looks like there's more than a few users of those here. I've been thinking of trying a set of VCDGrips, though, just to cut back on the clothes-snagging slightly.
    Last edited by TheRoland; 07-23-2019 at 06:12 PM.

Do it! Do it! Do it! You only live once! I've been carrying crappy glocks for the last 8 years at least, to the point shooting them feels like work anymore. If it's a reliable gun and you shoot it well, then you would be a fool not to carry it.

And I was thinking about the whole if I had to use my pistol and cost ratio in losing it or getting it confiscated and such. Heck my avg glocks are easily $850-$900 and are relatively stock compared to most glocks, to me that's not exactly cheap especially when you have a dozen of them.

I love watching my friends faces when we shoot and I'm carrying a m9a3 or px4cc and a lcr 22 mag in my pocket. They always ask if they can shoot them too, I say no, better not if you ever want to take pleasure in shooting your glocks again pfft. And I have found that although they are bigger or wider or heavier than my old standbys, to me it feels like less work toting around my blasters, because I enjoy them more, shoot them consistently better and are just as reliable.

Since I'm doing most of my range work with 1911s or 43x/48 this year I've moved to this for 0330 hikes with the doggo.

LBO

Attachment 40467

Attachment 40468
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

^^^ Been using the Hill People Gear (HPG) chest rig for years. Perfect for carrying concealed with a pack on during hikes. I sometimes will have a 1911 in it but mostly carry the G20SF 10mm when on my hikes.

Quote Originally Posted by GLB View Post
    ^^^ Been using the Hill People Gear (HPG) chest rig for years. Perfect for carrying concealed with a pack on during hikes. I sometimes will have a 1911 in it but mostly carry the G20SF 10mm when on my hikes.

They are awfully handy for certain applications for sure.

Before reaching the conclusion to go 1911 w/WML because that's what I'm shooting so much in recent months, it was the 19X with light. Which is a great choice too of course.

SHO performance differences noted in recent months is what tipped me to change of late because I may be trying to somewhat control a leashed Brutus. I recently went 10/10 draw-shoot one hits on a 5x8 card from the OWB draw SHO with a 1911 in the 1.6 - 1.7 sec range from 10 yards towards this conclusion.

Splits were not my priority so much as accuracy at the speed of assessment.
    Last edited by JHC; 07-24-2019 at 03:07 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    This thread reminded me how much I like 1911s. For a while, I carried a 3", which wasn't fantastic. Tough to control the recoil, not a lot of bullets onboard, heavy, not fantastic sight radius.

Carrying a full sized is basically the same, but better in every way. It's not even that much heavier.

In the killer heat-wave the northeast is getting, it's a J-Frame all day. But when the winter rolls around again, I'll be back to the 5" Springfield TRP, which I've been shooting in the local gun-games. Not a lot of competition in CDP/Single Stack Major these days, honestly; I've had a couple of division wins as a bad C-class shooter. Maybe there's some reason it's so unpopular, but I can't imagine what that could be .

Name:  TRP.jpg
Views: 910
Size:  99.8 KB

I love the harsh golf-ball pattern grips (VZ Recons in this case, but it's the same pattern as a few others). Looks like there's more than a few users of those here. I've been thinking of trying a set of VCDGrips, though, just to cut back on the clothes-snagging slightly.
    VCDs are superb grips, but unless you plan on sanding them down a bit, you're going to have just as much. if not a greater clothes snagging/sweater shredding issue with them. Great for duty carry and matches as they are, though.

Good as they are, while I still have a set of them, they've been relegated to my "grip reserve/specific use" box, and my current 1911 grips are both Hogue G10 and Magpul polymer. The Magpuls are one heck of a value, in my opinion (as are much of Magpul's items, come to think of it). They have an excellent grip, mag cut-out scoop and are under $20.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 07-24-2019 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GLB View Post
    When hiking, I'll normally carry either my Glock Gen4 G22 with a magazine of Federal HST on board, and a magazine of Underwood Lehigh Xtreme Penetrators in reserve (threats in my area are primarily black bear, mountain lion, and two-legged), or my HK VP40 with similar cartridges.

When hiking with my wife, I'll use a normal IWB/OWB holster, or a Wilderness Safepacker. When hunting, the pistol is carried in either a tactical thigh rig, or a chest/tanker rig, both custom-made for me by Tactical Tailor.

I've also carried my Glock Gen 3 G21 as a hunting back-up, in the rigs described above, and it's still a good choice (using Speer Gold Dot 230 gr for carry, Buffalo Bore JHP 230 as reserve in my case), but given GJM's discussion on the merits of the Underwood Lehigh cartridges in 9mm, .40 and in .45 ACP, I'm a little more predisposed to the slightly more size-efficient (and a bit lighter) Gen4 G22 these days.

Best, Jon

User Tag List