Page 32 of 68 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: Seriously considering going back to the 1911 for carry. Anyone else?

I went on a weird tangent, and bought a Detonics 9-11-01 pistol, yesterday. (Yes, I read too much Jerry Ahern and Leroy Thompson, once upon a time.) According to some internettin’, this was a variant of the Streetmaster, and there is hope that the double nested recoil springs, which are probably no longer available, can be replaced with a normal Govt recoil spring. (Unlike the miniaturized Combat Master, the Streetmaster and 9-11-01 do not use an RSA with captive nested springs.) This one was made during the Pendergrass, Georgia era, which some assert was Detonics’ best time/place.

If it tests as reliable, it will be nice to be able to tote a 1911 without FCS, again, as some of my favored older holsters do not play well with my Les Baers.

My very first handgun, in late 1982 or early 1983, was a Detonics Combat Master. Having now reached the nostalgic stage of my life, I reckoned that this would be a nice and interesting collectible, even if it proves unworthy of street carry.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Rose View Post
    I think this was aimed at me as the OP.

Price really isn't a concern for me for 1911s. I've got the MARS and Harrison guns with another MARS getting built. By the end of the year I should have three high quality 1911s, and the MARS guns have extra spare fitted parts for the MARS guns.

If I went .45 polymer it would be my HK45 hands down. I've shot friends M&Ps and they seem fine, but nothing impressed me and I definitely prefer my HK45 or P30LS in polymer.

Capacity is my only remaining hang-up for switching to the 1911.
    This belongs in your thread.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...ol-1911-pistol

Attachment 38845
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

So, I am back to 1911s and don't see myself going back. With wilson releasing their own rds plate system, that is the direction I am going. Currently saving for an officer length frame gun for more discreet carry and putting a RDS on both my guns.

Toted mine yesterday in a new Wilson Summer Companion, including a 4 hour drive.
    Not a bad gun to tote.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Toted mine yesterday in a new Wilson Summer Companion, including a 4 hour drive.
    Not a bad gun to tote.
    Its weird. I can appendix my full size framed 1911 with a t shirt, but can't get away with the same attire with my glock 19 because the blocky size. Good belt makes the weight a non issue and the extra magazine carries like a dream.

Just saying, this would be open war in any other decent gun forum
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Concur. #ModsHereAreShit

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Name:  58205105146__BF06A3E8-BA31-463B-ADA2-C06FECA26C6E.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  39.1 KB

2300 rounds, 1 cleaning, no malfunctions. Great pistol that I am glad I gravitated back towards after my time spent with a rds. Saving now to get Wilsons new plate system for this and my next officer framed 1911 for more discreet carry situations. Love me some 1911s.

As a few of you may know my Wilson got stolen a few years back and made it back to me in terrible shape. I got it fixed up and swapped the front tritium (beat to crap) for a gold bead. I shoot 1911s better than anything else. If I am carrying anything other than my J-frame it is likely to be this beast (although I still prefer my Beretta 92GSD with X400 for beside the bed duty).

Rusty 1911 by stoiclawyer, on Flickr

Untitled by stoiclawyer, on Flickr

User Tag List