Page 2 of 68 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Seriously considering going back to the 1911 for carry. Anyone else?

I'll be honest, I didn't think I was going to get responses reinforcing what I've been thinking. I figured (and maybe was secretly hoping for) the standard replies about how modern 9mm polymer just makes more sense.

Maybe I'm not thinking crazy then. My reasoning makes sense in my head why I think the 1911 will work for me, but I wanted to get other opinions as a sounding board for different perspectives in case I was missing something.

Site Supporter
    Oh, you wanted us to talk you out of it? We’re all enablers here. You’re not talking about running a Hi Point, you’re talking about running high-end 1911s you know, trust, and can use very effectively.

“What if I told you that it really doesn’t matter which gun you use?” I don’t remember who said that first, but it’s something I believe: as long as the gun runs reasonably well, and you can use it effectively, follow your head or follow your heart, whatever you decide is more important to you. Commit to the thing, and run it and shoot as much as you have time and money to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    At one point I shot significantly better with a 1911 than a Glock. I want to say that this was in 2006 or so. A huge difference. With a 1911 I could mow down 6 steel plates with six shots with no problem and shoot tighter groups.

Then over the next few years I took a bunch of courses from instructors like Larry Vickers, Ken Hackathorn, Wayne Dobbs & Darryl Bolke, and Todd Louis Green.

Suddenly I discovered that I shot a Glock 17 or Glock 19 (Gen 2s) almost as well as I shot a 1911.I shoot an HK VP9 & VP9 Subcompact better than the Glocks. Maybe I started to suck more with a 1911 and less with the other guns. Maybe this was just me. I had reliability problems with 1911s including 2 Springfield Professionals, a Springfield 10-8 Operator, and even a Wilson. They were usable, but not as problem free out of the box as the Glocks and VP-9s. .

Ed,

My initial move away from the 1911 was essentially the same as yours. I wanted to get more serious on shooting about 7 years or so ago. I took a couple fun HK classes from HKPro, did EAG Tactical Pistol/Carbine, took a couple classes from Jason Falla. The shooting skill improvement definitely made me comfortable with polymer, and I shoot them fine.

However, I think I actually DO shoot the 1911 better. I shoot the P30LS and HK45 well, but it feels like it takes much more effort. I've had multiple breaks in shooting due to my job, and I've never shot the P30LS or HK45 as well after a long break. They both took a couple range trips to get the comfort level and accuracy confidence back. It's not that I can't shoot the HKs as well as the 1911, it's just that it takes more effort and consistency.

Also, since I got formal instruction and my skills improved, I've only shot the polymer HKs. I've never seriously dedicated training/class time to the 1911.

I'll admit I'm intrigued on this thought: If I can do as good/better than my HKs with a 1911 after not shooting one in a couple years and not shooting any pistol in six months, then how good could I do if I actually dedicated some training time to it?

I hear the "two perp gun" argument re: 1911 vs tupperware a lot. Personally the way I shoot my 10+1 9mm STI duty one, I wouldnt worry too much about doing the job with 5-6 rounds per bad guy and my running shoes (I'm not a cop any more and don't have to stick around to see it through).

That said I retired my STI to showing off to buddies and carry either a P2000 or G43x with gadget nowadays because I'm an unlucky klutz and won't carry anything without a firing pin block (especially AIWB). Any halfway decent series 80 1911 is a custom proposition I don't care to pursue at this point IMO.
    Last edited by ChaseN; 04-19-2019 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Rose View Post
    Ed,

My initial move away from the 1911 was essentially the same as yours. I wanted to get more serious on shooting about 7 years or so ago. I took a couple fun HK classes from HKPro, did EAG Tactical Pistol/Carbine, took a couple classes from Jason Falla. The shooting skill improvement definitely made me comfortable with polymer, and I shoot them fine.

However, I think I actually DO shoot the 1911 better. I shoot the P30LS and HK45 well, but it feels like it takes much more effort. I've had multiple breaks in shooting due to my job, and I've never shot the P30LS or HK45 as well after a long break. They both took a couple range trips to get the comfort level and accuracy confidence back. It's not that I can't shoot the HKs as well as the 1911, it's just that it takes more effort and consistency.

Also, since I got formal instruction and my skills improved, I've only shot the polymer HKs. I've never seriously dedicated training/class time to the 1911.

I'll admit I'm intrigued on this thought: If I can do as good/better than my HKs with a 1911 after not shooting one in a couple years and not shooting any pistol in six months, then how good could I do if I actually dedicated some training time to it?

Screw it, life short. Give it a try and dedicate a year to it. I have a 9mm Wilson that I love, only reason I’m not currently carrying it isn’t it doesn’t have a red dot on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Oh, you wanted us to talk you out of it? We’re all enablers here. You’re not talking about running a Hi Point, you’re talking about running high-end 1911s you know, trust, and can use very effectively.

“What if I told you that it really doesn’t matter which gun you use?” I don’t remember who said that first, but it’s something I believe: as long as the gun runs reasonably well, and you can use it effectively, follow your head or follow your heart, whatever you decide is more important to you. Commit to the thing, and run it and shoot as much as you have time and money to do so.

Yeah, I think I was kind of hoping there was some flaw in my logic and when someone pointed it out I'd have a "Duh, of course the 1911 makes no sense and hi-cap polymer is clearly the better answer" moment.

I'll be honest, I didn't think I was going to get responses reinforcing what I've been thinking. I figured (and maybe was secretly hoping for) the standard replies about how modern 9mm polymer just makes more sense.
    If you would have posed this same question, say, 6 or 7 years ago, I think you might have got an answer more in line with your expectations.

I say rock on with that 1911.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaseN View Post
    I hear the "two perp gun" argument re: 1911 vs tupperware a lot. Personally the way I shoot my 10+1 9mm STI duty one, I wouldnt worry too much about doing the job with 5-6 rounds per bad guy and my running shoes (I'm not a cop any more and don't have to stick around to see it through).
    I first read the "3 bad guy gun" concept from Todd on here years ago. It does resonate with me. Capacity is honestly the main reason I have not made the switch already.

But as I hit 40, I'm also realistic about my threat assessment. I'm not law enforcement. I'm not actively going into areas I expect trouble. Crime/active shooters can happen anywhere, but the probability is extremely low. If I'm in that situation, my obligation is not to confront the threat for the greater good, it's to keep my wife safe and get out of the location. I feel a 9 rd pistol (with 16 rds in reloads) that I am accurate and confident with is likely enough for that job.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    If you would have posed this same question, say, 6 or 7 years ago, I think you might have got an answer more in line with your expectations.

I say rock on with that 1911.
    LOL. Funny, because about 6-7 years ago was when I decided to concentrate on polymer because the 1911 had no more use in this modern world!

I first read the "3 bad guy gun" concept from Todd on here years ago. It does resonate with me. Capacity is honestly the main reason I have not made the switch already.

But as I hit 40, I'm also realistic about my threat assessment. I'm not law enforcement. I'm not actively going into areas I expect trouble. Crime/active shooters can happen anywhere, but the probability is extremely low. If I'm in that situation, my obligation is not to confront the threat for the greater good, it's to keep my wife safe and get out of the location. I feel a 9 rd pistol (with 16 rds in reloads) that I am accurate and confident with is likely enough for that job.
    The three perp argument doesn't resonate with me as much. Obviously I can't predict everything but as a regular guy now I'm striving to shoot to break contact whether I'm 50 feet away or physically wrapped up with an attacker. Multiple attackers only increases my desire to GTFO. Standing and having it out with three predators without armor or a radio or a rifle on hand sounds like a bad way to die.

Basically OP I'm saying go 1911 if you're comfortable with it because no doubt it can put rounds where you need them like nothing else.
    Last edited by ChaseN; 04-19-2019 at 10:01 PM.

User Tag List