Page 11 of 68 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Seriously considering going back to the 1911 for carry. Anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Double column 1911 interactions seem to get pretty Sisyphean.
    When the competition community, Timmies, garage smiths, and the military-industrial complex all have the same issues with the 2011... that's a sign from your deity of choice.
    Last edited by PNWTO; 04-22-2019 at 11:28 PM.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Double column 1911 interactions seem to get pretty Sisyphean.
    Was Sisyphus the guy who pushed the thing up the mountain? Is that to say 2011s are futilely polarizing?

I've never shot one. Or held one. Unless you count the Staccato C. Which was sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by OnionsAndDragons View Post
    I’m just going to throw some gas on the fire:

If money isn’t a real obstacle, what about a custom 2011?

I had a chance to shoot one of Zito’s builds last year and it was sexy as hell. If I had a years worth of extra mortgage payments to burn, I’d buy one. Or maybe one of those Chambers night fighter guns...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    A Nightfighter (with fixed sights) would be awesome. But not for the money he’s asking. And not when my EDC X9 is exceptional

Site Supporter
    I bought my first 1911 in March of 1970 and have had owned and shot dozens. Before the purchase in 1970 I had been shooting other folks' 1911's since a teenager. I'm comfortable with the platform. Perhaps the word comfort is a key descriptor. I think many shooters buy 1911's and fail to achieve comfort, and many of these may not know how to run them--just as some do not understand the revolver.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Was Sisyphus the guy who pushed the thing up the mountain? Is that to say 2011s are futility?
    FIFY.

Disclaimer: I love my 1911s. I also love to carry them (more on that below). Having said that, moving between platforms requires additional diligence if switching somewhat often. I also admit…being a cheap-skate…I don’t want to give up a cherished rig to the Police for an undetermined amount of time should things go sideways and I get into a shoot (and nothing would make me happier if that NEVER happens).

I like carrying my Officers/Defender sized 1911s quite a bit (I will throw my EDC X9 in this basket as well), as do I a specific CZ P-01 (SA/DA). The kicker in carrying different actions is of course practicing that action prior to carrying, and repeating often. When I make a switch, usually the night before (and following morning) I intend to carry, I complete some repetitive dry-fire practice with a laser bullet/target (records scoring, timing, etc.) to ensure I am focusing on that specific pistol and its associate action ( as well as draw, holster, belt…all of it). This includes practice defeating garments…..everything soup to nuts. I try to get 200-300 reps in between the two sessions to “wake up” my muscle memory for the platform…because lord knows if SHTF, I don’t want to be pulling a trigger and sending a flyer (DA first pull), or not defeat a safety (1911).

Was Sisyphus the guy who pushed the thing up the mountain? Is that to say 2011s are futilely polarizing?.
    No, just that some of the people I know who have tried to achieve carry reliability with double column 1911s — at least before the EDCX9, which seems exceptional— have dealt with a frustrating-seeming routine of magazine tuning. Some people seem to do fine with them.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Was Sisyphus the guy who pushed the thing up the mountain? Is that to say 2011s are futilely polarizing?.
    No, just that some of the people I know who have tried to achieve carry reliability with double column 1911s — at least before the EDCX9, which seems exceptional— have dealt with a frustrating-seeming routine of magazine tuning. Some people seem to do fine with them.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by tgoldie00 View Post
    Disclaimer: I love my 1911s. I also love to carry them (more on that below). Having said that, moving between platforms requires additional diligence if switching somewhat often. I also admit…being a cheap-skate…I don’t want to give up a cherished rig to the Police for an undetermined amount of time should things go sideways and I get into a shoot (and nothing would make me happier if that NEVER happens).

I like carrying my Officers/Defender sized 1911s quite a bit (I will throw my EDC X9 in this basket as well), as do I a specific CZ P-01 (SA/DA). The kicker in carrying different actions is of course practicing that action prior to carrying, and repeating often. When I make a switch, usually the night before (and following morning) I intend to carry, I complete some repetitive dry-fire practice with a laser bullet/target (records scoring, timing, etc.) to ensure I am focusing on that specific pistol and its associate action ( as well as draw, holster, belt…all of it). This includes practice defeating garments…..everything soup to nuts. I try to get 200-300 reps in between the two sessions to “wake up” my muscle memory for the platform…because lord knows if SHTF, I don’t want to be pulling a trigger and sending a flyer (DA first pull), or not defeat a safety (1911).
    Of course, the things you are saying make a strong argument for carrying, practicing, and training with one type of pistol instead of switching around.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Of course, the things you are saying make a strong argument for carrying, practicing, and training with one type of pistol instead of switching around.
    And to your point, which I didn't mention specifically above, I carry (roughly 90% of the time I am carrying) either a Glock 19 or 43 (and am transitioning to mostly the 48 now as it splits the difference quite nicely). As the action is the same between them….it is easy to transition between them based on need (and clothing/concealment needs) and essentially land in the same practice methodology.

User Tag List