Page 9 of 68 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: Seriously considering going back to the 1911 for carry. Anyone else?

Thanks for all the replies, it's brought up some good points. Keep them coming if you have other insights.

Since I've had a long break, I wanted to start back with a single and truly dedicate some time to mastering it. A new range opened up literally 3 minutes from my house, so the training reps/trigger time is going to increase dramatically. This discussions is very helpful for me working through what to dedicate serious training time to master.

Hunter Rose,

Have you looked at the GI x2 pistols? Since you were looking at their guns already. Or an STI? Plenty of capacity, can save on weight, still the 1911 trigger, controls, and accuracy.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Rose View Post
    For the EDC X9, it's still a little too new/boutique for me. Maybe in five years I'll look at it.
    I follow every thread I find on them, and I’ve heard of no mechanical shortcomings. Admittedly, there are several people who flipped them, but they all were people that didn’t prefer how they shot.

I have over 3 K through minewithout even a hint of a hiccup.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorikid View Post
    Hunter Rose,

Have you looked at the GI x2 pistols? Since you were looking at their guns already. Or an STI? Plenty of capacity, can save on weight, still the 1911 trigger, controls, and accuracy.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I started with 1911s but have also always been an HK guy, and never been without HK pistols on hand since the USP came out. Reliability is extremely important to me, and my HK pistols have given me zero issues. My experience with 5" 1911's is has been very good and there is a ton of data on what it takes to make and keep them reliable.

My curiosity is piqued by a 9mm Commander, but that's about as far from the 1911 norm as I'd be willing to go at this time (most likely as just a range toy/fun gun). The new hybrid double stack polymer 9mm 1911's mentioned above are a little too boutique me personally. If they're around with people singing their praises in 5 years I may give them a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I follow every thread I find on them, and I’ve heard of no mechanical shortcomings. Admittedly, there are several people who flipped them, but they all were people that didn’t prefer how they shot.

I have over 3 K through minewithout even a hint of a hiccup.
    I remember when the Wilson KZ45 and KZ9 came out. Essentially the same initial glowing reviews and reliability was pretty good, but soon enthusiasm faded. I think they're discontinued now?

Not saying the EDC X9 isn't the perfect gun, but I prefer to let others wring out guns with tens or hundreds of thousands of rounds to discover their true reliability before I adopt (probably why I love HKs).
    Last edited by Hunter Rose; 04-21-2019 at 10:10 PM.

Site Supporter
    I shot a Gen 3 G17 over a decade ago at the academy. I placed second in my class, and only lost because of a screwed up reload on my end.

It's likely I will be returning to a Gen3 17 for duty carry. So while it's not a 1911, I understand your desire to return to what worked.

When I shot the G17, I didn't know it didn't fit my hand or there were better options. I just shot it and shot it well.

I love 1911s. I cannot run them well at all. I tried and tried to get comfortable with a 1911 and when I have to start running one at speed I just can’t do it well. I miss the thumb safety. I mess up the slide release. I fumble reloads. I got to where I felt I was okay once and carried one on duty. A situation arose and I had to draw down on someone and nothing felt natural. I had to think about every step I wanted to take with the gun. I was thinking more about what I had to do with the gun and less about dealing with the situation. I went to the office and got the P229 back out and it was like old home week. I transitioned to a VP9 and had no issues with it. The different mag release feels normal to me, even under stress.

For me a 1911 will probably be nothing more than a fun gun. A friend of mine runs a 1911 like he was born with it and carries one on duty. For him the 1911 works and works well.

I love revolvers and started my career with a 686. I can carry one on duty if I want and some days I do. Those are the days that I know it’s just office duty. Even then the VP9 is in a UNITY CLUTCH just in case I need to throw it on quick though. I don’t like the idea of going to do a search warrant or have an active shooter call with 23 rounds on hand in a slow to reload firearm. I am including 5 rounds carried in my LCR BUG in that number also. With the VP9 I have 21 rounds in the gun and thirty more in reloads. The VP9 is an easier gun to shoot well and reloads faster with more bullets on board. Every bullet I have is an opportunity for success. The more rounds I can reasonably carry and put into use are more chances for me to prevail.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    I shot a Gen 3 G17 over a decade ago at the academy. I placed second in my class, and only lost because of a screwed up reload on my end.

It's likely I will be returning to a Gen3 17 for duty carry. So while it's not a 1911, I understand your desire to return to what worked.

When I shot the G17, I didn't know it didn't fit my hand or there were better options. I just shot it and shot it well.

"I shot a Gen 3 G17 (G21 .45ACP) over a decade ago (Last century) at the academy. I placed second in my class, and only lost because of a screwed up reload on my end (Lets just say I ended up on a plaque in the halls).

It's likely I will be returning to a Gen3 17 for duty carry.(My days of pushing a patrol car are long, thats a game for young guys with good backs, but I would not hesitate to run my old Glock .45.) So while it's not a 1911, I understand your desire to return to what worked.

When I shot the G17, (G21.) I didn't know it didn't fit my hand or there were better options. I just shot it and shot it well."

While these days I primarily shoot a 9mm Glock, if ammo costs were not a concern, I could easily switch to a .45 and not look back. Between a full size G21, and a G19 sized G30S, I have been very pleased with the shooting performance of .45 ACP Glocks. Plus I would take a serious look at the G41 if I were to go that route.

I highly doubt that will happen, but Newbie's post and experience seemed to parallel mine, just with a different diameter hole in the barrel.

I remember when the Wilson KZ45 and KZ9 came out. Essentially the same initial glowing reviews and reliability was pretty good, but soon enthusiasm faded. I think they're discontinued now?
    A friend of mine had both of these early on, and I don’t know anyone that shot them would give either a glowing review.

I think a timer and some drills with the 1911, HK45, and HK P30LS 9mm are in my future.
    Not apples to apples, but Beretta has this old PX4 video on their website - PX4 9, vs PX4 .40 (constant action), vs PX4 .45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=Z48ziF76hwY

User Tag List