Page 62 of 68 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 ... LastLast

Thread: Seriously considering going back to the 1911 for carry. Anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    Well fudge....

good eye JK. I am slipping. I blame work. HA!

I slipped it off and its cracked at the thinnest part. Probably 13K of mainly ball on the WC BP firing pin stop. its an easy fix. I might try EGW FPS.
    Issues like this are reminders that 1911-pattern pistols require more maintenance and that none of the parts are truly "drop-in". A new firing pin stop has to be fitted to the pistol, including rounding the bottom edge to control slide dwell time. It is not hard once you have done a few, but the firing pin stop can change how the slide travels during the recoil stroke. That can impact extraction and ejection.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Issues like this are reminders that 1911-pattern pistols require more maintenance and that none of the parts are truly "drop-in". A new firing pin stop has to be fitted to the pistol, including rounding the bottom edge to control slide dwell time. It is not hard once you have done a few, but the firing pin stop can change how the slide travels during the recoil stroke. That can impact extraction and ejection.
    I'm nowhere near as proficient as some people on here, but I think that cracked pieces like that on any gun tells me that someone has taken the opportunity to really use the tool as intended. Based on what I see on other forums with the OP taking the pistol to classes, duty gun, etc., I would say it's a small price to pay for the intimate understanding of the gun. Doesn't matter if it is a 1911 or P30 or Glock or whatever.

On top of that, I know a lot on here have 2 pistols just for this reason. It certainly doesn't hurt to have a back-up that you can drop into a carry/training roll in the event a part breaks. Or have a spare part for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    I assume you meant you are leery of the external extractor on the SIG? SIG should know how to make external extractors work in their guns since they've been doing it long enough. But S&W probably has the best external extractors of any 1911 maker, especially the beefier extractors in their recent guns.

SIG started off making high quality 1911-style pistols even though they varied from the original specification a bit. But it seems like since then they've had some quality issues and try to hard to entice buyers by offering cool looking guns instead of solid guns that work. That said, a TACOPS would be on the short list of SIG 1911s I would even consider.
    You are correct about the extractor, of course. I promise, I do know the difference between them .

I do appreciate the way you described the way SIG has been performing lately as a company. Just last year I was whining about them treating customers as uncompensated beta testers.

I say yes Colts and Dan Wessons here

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    I'm nowhere near as proficient as some people on here, but I think that cracked pieces like that on any gun tells me that someone has taken the opportunity to really use the tool as intended. Based on what I see on other forums with the OP taking the pistol to classes, duty gun, etc., I would say it's a small price to pay for the intimate understanding of the gun. Doesn't matter if it is a 1911 or P30 or Glock or whatever.

On top of that, I know a lot on here have 2 pistols just for this reason. It certainly doesn't hurt to have a back-up that you can drop into a carry/training roll in the event a part breaks. Or have a spare part for it.
    While I agree with all of that, it is important to note that the cracked firing pin stop was not found by the owner; it was found by another person due to a picture in this thread. If the owner had not been informed, it his possible his duty gun would have failed him at a critical moment. Hence the need to pay more attention to the 1911 as there are more parts to inspect as compared to a modern design such as Glock.

While I agree with all of that, it is important to note that the cracked firing pin stop was not found by the owner; it was found by another person due to a picture in this thread. If the owner had not been informed, it his possible his duty gun would have failed him at a critical moment. Hence the need to pay more attention to the 1911 as there are more parts to inspect as compared to a modern design such as Glock.
    I've seen glocks posted where someone else pointed out a cracked frame that the owner didn't know about.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I've recently started using a 10lb mace, which I feel is strengthening/stretching my arms too
    Be wary. As I've increased the weight of the mace, I've had to limit workouts with it or my hands hurt like hell.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    It's frustrating, and yet another return to 1911's may be in my near future.
    There's the man who would complain about being hung with a new rope. "Oh, my life is so bad I'll have to use the pistol with the best trigger ever." I focus on my Berettas, but a week ago I took a 1911 just because. Smoked 'The Test' cold and then went straight to 25 yards and wondered why I don't carry it instead of the pizza gun.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I agree.

I have not used this gun for duty use for quite some time. That image was from last year. I was carrying other 1911 platforms for a while and decided to move a bunch of guns to try and get into an ACW. I have been carrying my LTT for a spell.

While this piece has about 13K through the tube..... the amount of dry fires exceed that amount. I put the factory MIM part back on for temp and ordered a couple of EGW FPS.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    I agree.

I have not used this gun for duty use for quite some time. That image was from last year. I was carrying other 1911 platforms for a while and decided to move a bunch of guns to try and get into an ACW. I have been carrying my LTT for a spell.

While this piece has about 13K through the tube..... the amount of dry fires exceed that amount. I put the factory MIM part back on for temp and ordered a couple of EGW FPS.
    I am glad that it was not your duty pistol. I believe you will be pleased with the EGW firing pin stops. Just take your time to match the radius on the bottom of the cracked part to the new part during the fitting process. A little difference can change the way the pistol functions and feels during the firing cycle.

I remember cleaning one of my race guns after a match, and my firing pin stop coming in three separate pieces. The gun never choked, much like the story of Glocks with cracked frames still chugging along.

User Tag List