Page 60 of 68 FirstFirst ... 10505859606162 ... LastLast

Thread: Seriously considering going back to the 1911 for carry. Anyone else?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    Alright...I'm about to hang up the Glocks and Berettas and jump into full time 1911 life.

Are compact 1911s worth a damn (outside of a Wilson)?

If so, any recommendations on compact pistols under $1500?
    I'm still a little leery of anything smaller than a Commander/CCO because it just gets too far away from the 1911 specification. The Colt Combat Unit CCO is a nice package and is priced within your budget. The Dan Wesson Vigil is definitely worth a look.

I have recently returned to the use of 1911 pistols for EDC.

My choices are the Dan Wesson Guardian models. I use two different ones (not at the same time!) One in caliber 9mm and one in caliber .45 ACP. I use Ed Brown 9 round magazines in 9mm and Ed Brown 7 round magazines in the .45 ACP so I am able to utilize the compact profile of the bobtail configuration of these pistols. I carry two spare magazines with each pistol, and they have small polymer base pads.

I recently sent the .45 ACP pistol to Dan Wesson and had them replace the OEM rear sight with a "U" notch sight and replace the front sight with a gold (brass) bead front sight. I'm certain the 9mm slide will be sent to DW to have the exact same sights installed.

Holster is a strong side OWB Wilson Combat or a Milt Sparks IWB, depending on the temperature, my attire, and I suppose, my mood.

Previously, I carried a Gen3 Glock G19 or a CZ Custom Pro-Tek 1 for my EDC needs. I have forfeited significant ammo capacity by returning to the 1911 platform, but am convinced the 1911 is more comfortable to carry and significantly easier to shoot than the Glock and CZ.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    I have recently returned to the use of 1911 pistols for EDC.

My choices are the Dan Wesson Guardian models. I use two different ones (not at the same time!) One in caliber 9mm and one in caliber .45 ACP. I use Ed Brown 9 round magazines in 9mm and Ed Brown 7 round magazines in the .45 ACP so I am able to utilize the compact profile of the bobtail configuration of these pistols. I carry two spare magazines with each pistol, and they have small polymer base pads.

I recently sent the .45 ACP pistol to Dan Wesson and had them replace the OEM rear sight with a "U" notch sight and replace the front sight with a gold (brass) bead front sight. I'm certain the 9mm slide will be sent to DW to have the exact same sights installed.

Holster is a strong side OWB Wilson Combat or a Milt Sparks IWB, depending on the temperature, my attire, and I suppose, my mood.

Previously, I carried a Gen3 Glock G19 or a CZ Custom Pro-Tek 1 for my EDC needs. I have forfeited significant ammo capacity by returning to the 1911 platform, but am convinced the 1911 is more comfortable to carry and significantly easier to shoot than the Glock and CZ.
    But Wilson ETM 10 rounders run in it yes? Do you find that round butt treatment to conceal better?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    But Wilson ETM 10 rounders run in it yes? Do you find that round butt treatment to conceal better?
    Yes, the Wilson ETM 10-rounders as well as Dawson Precision 10-rounders both work in the 9mm pistol. And yes, I definitely believe the bobtail configuration allows better concealment.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post

If I was doing it over again I would get it for a railed gun. My 2.5 for my MC Operator fits non railed guns perfectly.

I also prefer the 2.0 over the 2.5 because I prefer the DCC clips.
    Hmm tell me about this MC Operator. This thing has my attention. What has your experience been?

I prefer a Dan Wesson but for some reason in my area they are rare.

Currently eye-balling:

MC Operator for a rail nightstand gun.

RO Elite Compact for daily carry.

Possibly a plain RO for an overall practice gun. Put rounds down range and a tinkering mule.

I already have a Dan Wesson Heritage and an RO Elite Target. Both have run very well out of the box with a clean 10-8 test.

I prefer the trigger on the RO Elite because its a bit heavier than the DW. The DW is freakishly light...I swear its 2.5 lbs.

The stock mags on the Springer leave some room for improvement to say it lightly. I bought some Wilsons for replacement.

I'll check out the Ruger and STI..

This is my 2008 MCOP.

It was peppered to taste by SACS in 2009 and 2011.

Hilton filed on the WCBP extractor at his 10-8 Armorers Class in 2012.

I have run this dude hard. Its been parked for a while due to wrist and elbow pain. Thinking about putting it back on duty.

I installed WC BP Ambi safety. I bought it new and cheap off a gun forum and trimmed down the levers a tad. I probably need to go one or two more serrations. My hand size allows for easy use of ambi safety.

Last edited by SW CQB 45; 10-02-2019 at 10:38 PM.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

for guys having hand and elbow pain what are you doing for a strength program?

I was a big lifter in the 80s and 90s and hit my strength peak in 97. Then I messed up a knee and complications after surgery put me down for a couple of years. Knee was never the same and had surgery again in (same knee) in 2015.

I know my strength is no where where I used to be but I still work out and do alot of rowing which eases wrist/elbow pain before lifting weights.

I contribute my pain to using my right hand for everything (throwing a ball in the 70s, oilfield wrenching in the 80s, shade tree mechanic in the 80s/90s when you could work on your own vehicle, and alot of .45 ammo down range from the 80s-current)

If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    Hmm tell me about this MC Operator. This thing has my attention. What has your experience been?
    No issues with mine, ever. I replaced the rear sight with a wider u-notch, installed a fbfps and a wilson combat extractor. I do those 2 on all my 1911s just to fit them as spares but leave them in and use the oem parts as spares.

I also installed a Harrison short trigger and a S&A msh just for personal preference.
    Name:  KIMG1411.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  96.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    for guys having hand and elbow pain what are you doing for a strength program?
    I'm a big believer in working out smart. My mom opened a gym when I was 8 called "Perfect Form". When it comes to lifting, try not to lock out your joints. It takes the load off the muscles and places it on the joint.

Beyond that, hard living can cause an accumulation of tiny, minor injuries that can lead to arthritic joints. Keep working the muscles around the joint but sometimes you need to learn just to say enough.

User Tag List