Page 18 of 68 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Seriously considering going back to the 1911 for carry. Anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post

I am also starting to think there’s no real difference in concealment between my G43 and my CCO.
    Carried IWB I came to same conclusion.

My lightweight government only prints a little more in certain situations and actually rides IWB more comfortably so the CCO got sold since it won't ride in a boot like the G43.

The G43 is still the Glocks that impresses me the most.

Davis still makes thumb breaks for the 1911. http://davisleathercompany.com

Site Supporter
    Arthritis has swollen the base knuckle of my shooting hand thumb and the frame of any 1911 impinges on it bad. I find the wider, plastic frame of the 45 ACP Glocks does not beat that knuckle up and I can shoot more than a couple magazines without pain.

If it weren't for the above health problem I would still be carrying some model of 1911, as I did throughout my LEO career and for 15 years after retiring. I just shoot the 1911 better than any other pistol. The Glocks are a compromise, forced on me by my aging body parts. (smile)

Dave
    Last edited by Dave T; 04-29-2019 at 01:58 PM.

Site Supporter
    Dave T-

Perhaps a S&W M&P .45 with the frame mounted safety and Apex FSS trigger bits could be better on the knuckle while still yielding a more 1911 like trigger v. a Glock.

FWIW,

DB

Quote Originally Posted by 358156hp View Post
    And I thought I was the last guy left still shooting index cards. Nicely done!
    Exactly the same size as the average human heart.

Thank you
    Last edited by 03RN; 04-29-2019 at 03:29 PM.

Smile

You already are more than well aware of the 911's pros and cons and you also know H&K's benefits and detriments. 911s are over 100 years old and have a solid reputation. They require more maintenance but that it isn't a problem for you. Every man lives with his own decisions. Carry and shoot whatever works well for you. The only thing I can add is that you might want to consider carrying a striker fire handgun as a backup - just in case of a 1911 malfunction and/or you need to do a New York reload :-). Maintain your health and stay safe. Best regards. KP

Good luck with your decision. I carry a G17 because the 1911 is not curreny on the approved carry list. If it was, I would add the 1911 in a hearbeat. 1911 for certain applications, G17 for other.

Quote Originally Posted by KP View Post
    You already are more than well aware of the 911's pros and cons and you also know H&K's benefits and detriments. 911s are over 100 years old and have a solid reputation. They require more maintenance but that it isn't a problem for you. Every man lives with his own decisions. Carry and shoot whatever works well for you. The only thing I can add is that you might want to consider carrying a striker fire handgun as a backup - just in case of a 1911 malfunction and/or you need to do a New York reload :-). Maintain your health and stay safe. Best regards. KP
    Thinking any striker fired handgun is as reliable, durable, and less maintenance as the quality of 1911 OP has is laughable.
    Last edited by M2CattleCo; 04-30-2019 at 10:50 AM.

Ken Hackathorn's 1911 Birthday Shoot

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    Thinking any striker fired handgun is as reliable, durable, and less maintenance as the quality of 1911 OP has is laughable.

Each person has to makes their own decision. Perhaps it may seem strange to you, but the late and great Louis Awerbuck always talked about carrying a secondary. His secondary started with .38 through Springfield DX and then Glock 26. I am not the only one who has thought about a striker fire handgun as a secondary backup gun.

Don't you love the sound
    Of the last laugh at the end

User Tag List