Page 54 of 68 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast

Thread: Seriously considering going back to the 1911 for carry. Anyone else?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Cool. What is the other?
    Dan Wesson Heritage Stainless.

I've had good luck with 1911s so far. The DW has about 600-700 rds through it with no hiccups. The RO Elite has about 400 with no issues. Both passed the 10-8 test out of the box with stock mags.

This isn't a huge round count compared to the world of service pistols, but given the ubiquitous myth of 1911s being unreliable, I should have had at least one hiccup in about 1000 rds through two different pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    Dan Wesson Heritage Stainless.

I've had good luck with 1911s so far. The DW has about 600-700 rds through it with no hiccups. The RO Elite has about 400 with no issues. Both passed the 10-8 test out of the box with stock mags.

This isn't a huge round count compared to the world of service pistols, but given the ubiquitous myth of 1911s being unreliable, I should have had at least one hiccup in about 1000 rds through two different pistols.
    +1 I have likewise been fortunate with about a dozen since the early 80s. It wasn’t until near or at the turn of the century that I learned on the net they had any other reputation.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    I expect a failure or two out of a thousand rounds with a 9mm 1911. It doesn't always happen though -- I've owned multiple 9mm 1911s that have gone over 1000 rounds with no failures. Inconsistent ejection is a more likely problem in my experience. (Colt, tune your damned extractors!)

But I expect ZERO failures with my 45s. They just run. A properly built .45 Government Model should be totally reliable with good mags, ammo, and maintenance. And by "totally reliable" I mean it should operate with no failures.

The whole 9mm 1911 thing is an experiment I keep engaging in without ever finally reaching the conclusion that it is a better option for me. On one hand, a 9mm Lightweight Commander is an almost ideal carry gun. On the other hand, I can never shoot the 9mm 1911s as good as I can an all steel .45 Government Model. I keep going back to the .45 Government for carry due to that reason even though it gets really heavy after a few hours.

I am thinking of ordering a 5 Shot SME since I've read about how comfortable they are.

Robinson,
    Not to take away from the SME holster. I have never heard anything but praise for them. You may want to check out Bitterroot Gunleather. They have an AIWB model with a true wing set up. Lead times are not terrible for hand done leather either.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorikid View Post
    Robinson,
    Not to take away from the SME holster. I have never heard anything but praise for them. You may want to check out Bitterroot Gunleather. They have an AIWB model with a true wing set up. Lead times are not terrible for hand done leather either.

Thanks for the tip. I currently use a JM Custom Kydex AIWB holster and it is very good -- I highly recommend their products. But I am wondering if the SME or similar holster will support the weight of a full size 1911 better.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Thanks for the tip. I currently use a JM Custom Kydex AIWB holster and it is very good -- I highly recommend their products. But I am wondering if the SME or similar holster will support the weight of a full size 1911 better.
    I have the JMCK wing 2.5 for the CCO. If some one is shopping for a kydex aiwb holster that is where I point them. I have an Alpha Concealment that isn't bad, but the JM is way better executed.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    I have both the JM and the SME. Both hold up the weight equally. The SME has the edge in comfort as its leather, and Ralston does leather incomparably. The JM has the slight edge in concealment, as it's slimmer under the loops. I use the JM more, because my CCO wears a RMR, and my SME doesn't accommodate it.
    Last edited by theJanitor; 08-19-2019 at 01:11 PM.

Site Supporter
    @theJanitor - thanks for the info.

Since I happen to have both with me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Since I happen to have both with me
    Yeah I can see that the SME is wider than the JMCK. I don't think it would make too much difference for me to be honest.

How is the SME as far as positioning the thumb safety?

User Tag List