Page 65 of 68 FirstFirst ... 15556364656667 ... LastLast

Thread: Seriously considering going back to the 1911 for carry. Anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Thanks for posting that. That's really intriguing.

I believe Wilson uses a proprietary front sight dovetail though...I wonder if Novak could install these on a Wilson 1911.
    You would definitely have to call, being that Novak is 65 degree and Wilson fronts are cut to a 60 degree.

Okay. Received the Vigil 9mm commander. I have shot 570 rounds through it so far. Not a lot but I have had for like a week.

I have had zero hiccups so far. I shot a lot of rounds through her fairly fast both sessions. I have not broke the gun down yet. Just lubed it before each range trip. Trigger is very good, slide fitment is tight, safety functions well. It amazes me how easy this gun is to make fast and accurate hits with. I have been using a g19 with rds for awhile now. And being away from the Glock grip is refreshing. I do not have to try with this pistol. It points and shoots very well for me. I have one big gripe with it. The safety functions perfectly but it protrudes into backstrap. So while shooting it digs into the crotch of my thumb. I am going to have to get this taken care of, it’s driving me crazy. I used gloves today, but that’s not ideal.

I have shot so far.
    270 rounds 115 grn Remington
    100 rounds 115 grain Magtech
    50 rounds 115 grain cci blazer
    150 rounds 147 grain Federal

First session.

First 55 rounds out of gun. A lil over 7 yards. I has not shot a 1911 in a while and this was at a decent pace. I was happy with it.

Second session.

Safety issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the report! I think I see a DW Vigil in my future right after the LTT Centurions come out...

Congrats @Trukinjp13 The Vigil is a lot of 1911 for the money.

The only two gripes about my Valkyrie, as compared to my previous two Wilsons...

1- They cut the frame to get a pretty high grip, which is great, but the thumb safety is fit right to the edge of the frame. The TS could use a bit of blending and breaking of the hard edges in this area.

2- My FPS appears to just be a drop in. It moves, front to back, and up and down. It doesn't move left to right and allow the extractor to clock, but it does move a little fore and aft. It passed the 10-8 extractor test handily, and wasn't until later that I noticed it. I'll fit an EGW or Harrison FPS and keep this as a back up.
    Last edited by StraitR; 10-13-2019 at 10:21 AM.

Site Supporter
    Did some major herd-thinning and have my 1911 set up (for now).

MCoperator for nightstand
    Dan Wesson for dry practice and high round count
    RO compact for carry
    Elite RO 9mm for wife pistol.

Eventually going to a 9mm RO Elite compact for carry.

Also got the weigand extractor tension tool and an extractor/firing pin tool.

Also ordered a few holsters, mags, and spare extractor.

Site Supporter
    Follow up on first range session with MC Operator and RO Compact.

MC Operator.

Fired 150 rds with no issues.
    Passed 10-8 test.
    Grip screws loosened a bit.

RO Compact.

Fired 150 rds with no issues including several hollow points.
    Passed 10-8 test.
    The recoil is rowdy along the lines of a G23.

Point of aim between the two are identical even with two different sights (fiber optic and night sights).

Accuracy is excellent and consistent. Point of aim is approximately a 12 o'clock hold. No pictures of targets but I measured about 3-3.5" groups.

Also fired 50 rds through my DW with no issues.

350 rds of 45 was a lot for me so I called it good.

Interesting observation and question.

I recently acquired an RO elite 9mm. It passed the 10-8 extractor test multiple times. I checked the extractor tension with an empty case and a full round. It was very loose but it passed the 10-8 test.

So being fairly new to 1911s let me ask a question way above my pay grade: are we putting too much into the 10-8 extractor test? Or put another way, which "test" is more indicative of a lack of extractor tension?

FWIW..I stripped my DW down and checked its extractor tension. I found it to be almost too tight as it has occasional feeding problems with first round. It took substantial effort to slide a case under the extractor. However, this gun too passed the 10-8 test.
    Last edited by fixer; 10-14-2019 at 05:55 AM.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    Eventually going to a 9mm RO Elite compact for carry.
    My wife just HAD to have one of these for some reason. I rolled my eyes as she was filling out the 4473, but other than the ambi safety, I really haven't found much to not like about the pistol. Some surgery has kept her from doing much with it in the last six months, but I dust it off now and then.

This particular example was a tad too tight out of the box, but runs smoothly now.

gn

Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    Follow up on first range session with MC Operator and RO Compact.

So being fairly new to 1911s let me ask a question way above my pay grade: are we putting too much into the 10-8 extractor test? Or put another way, which "test" is more indicative of a lack of extractor tension?
    IMO the 10-8 test doesn't replace checking extractor tension and fit with gages/cases, but it does show if it's basically functioning correctly and is an easy thing to do when at the range. Not to say that the fit/tension couldn't be better even if it is passing the 10-8 test.

Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    Okay. Received the Vigil 9mm commander. I have shot 570 rounds through it so far. Not a lot but I have had for like a week.

I have had zero hiccups so far. I shot a lot of rounds through her fairly fast both sessions. I have not broke the gun down yet. Just lubed it before each range trip. Trigger is very good, slide fitment is tight, safety functions well. It amazes me how easy this gun is to make fast and accurate hits with. I have been using a g19 with rds for awhile now. And being away from the Glock grip is refreshing. I do not have to try with this pistol. It points and shoots very well for me. I have one big gripe with it. The safety functions perfectly but it protrudes into backstrap. So while shooting it digs into the crotch of my thumb. I am going to have to get this taken care of, it’s driving me crazy. I used gloves today, but that’s not ideal.

I have shot so far.
    270 rounds 115 grn Remington
    100 rounds 115 grain Magtech
    50 rounds 115 grain cci blazer
    150 rounds 147 grain Federal

First session.

First 55 rounds out of gun. A lil over 7 yards. I has not shot a 1911 in a while and this was at a decent pace. I was happy with it.

Second session.

Safety issue.

I just picked up it's .45 CCO brother. If it is as reliable as my other two DW's it will be my # 1 carry.

Last edited by Boldkharma; 10-14-2019 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boldkharma View Post
    I just picked up it's .45 CCO brother. If it is as reliable as my other two DW's it will be my # 1 carry.

Nice! I bet she is still a soft shooter.

How is the safety fitment on yours?

User Tag List