Page 33 of 68 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: Seriously considering going back to the 1911 for carry. Anyone else?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Just saying, this would be open war in any other decent gun forum
    I am sure Colonel Cooper is smiling down upon this forum.

Site Supporter
    So, I grabbed up a LWC Colt .45 based off the thought process sticking with the "original caliber for the platform = highest probability of working if needed." I'm reconsidering the .45 selection part and going for a 9mm LWC.

My DW Valor commander in 9mm has proven this to not be quite the case with 4 different manufacturers of magazines and various low to high end ammo selections. However, it did get sent back and essentially went through the custom shop as well, so....not sure if this is the standard experience.

Anybody finding that the LWC 9mm are inherently less 'it will work' quality after being vetted w/ a good mag compared to the .45's? And any recommendations for a LWC sticking within DW Vigil/Colt LWC prices?

9LWCs can work, just like steel frame guns. I would stick with DW’s vigil, personally, if you want to keep a lid on costs and have maximum probability of success.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    9LWCs can work, just like steel frame guns. I would stick with DW’s vigil, personally, if you want to keep a lid on costs and have maximum probability of success.
    Rodger dodger.

my Alloy Valkyrie 9mm Commander worked great and able to hit head shots on paper at 50 yards with 147 FMJ.

My issue with 9mm is 10 round mags. I have tried CMC, Tripp and WC.... both CMC and WC are hard to load and download by hand when 7 plus are loaded. CMC when loaded to the hilt were difficult to seat. I trimmed mag springs (as per CMC) and while it eased seating, they still needed a firm insert.

Tripp was exactly the opposite. Too easy to unload, in fact the top round in the mag slid so far forward from friction from the slide bottom, tac mag changes was with difficulty or stripping the top round.

I found that factory Springer Metalform 9 round fixed base plate mags are about the best in east of use. Difficult to strip by hand, but overall the best handling and easy to seat.

I also want to add, I never had a reliability issue with any of the mags during shooting practice or qualifications.

I finally fixed my 9mm mag issue by switching to this....

Last edited by SW CQB 45; 06-16-2019 at 06:43 PM.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Todd G worked his butt off to get 10rd mags to work, and conquered it, at least for his gun. I can’t work that hard, and just use 9s.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Todd G worked his butt off to get 10rd mags to work, and conquered it, at least for his gun. I can’t work that hard, and just use 9s.
    newest wilsons work in my wilson.. others have reported the same in wessons and springers

Site Supporter
    Metalform 10 rounders work fine in my Kimber and Colt. But then so does every mag except the standard Colt 9 rounder with JHP ammo. Every 9mm mag I've used will feed ball ammo.

I carry a flush fitting 9 round Metalform "leatham" mag in my carry gun with a 10 round ETM reload. Both work just fine with HST

Personally I think a .45 is easier to get reliable, but I would not count on even a DW running out of the box. I've yet to encounter a factory gun that has a correctly setup extractor in either 9mm or .45 ACP. Colt, Kimber, Springfield, Ruger, RIA...not a single one.

It's a sad state of affairs with 1911s that you have to be pretty handy with a file or a shipping label printer to get your gun to work.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I’ve got just over 3500 through 3 WC 10 rnd ETMs from my DW Valor full-size. Absolutely no qualms betting my life on them. They have been very reliable. As have the factory 10 rnd Checkmates.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Anybody finding that the LWC 9mm are inherently less 'it will work' quality after being vetted w/ a good mag compared to the .45's? And any recommendations for a LWC sticking within DW Vigil/Colt LWC prices?
    My carry gun is a Colt Lightweight Commander 9mm, so obviously I have faith in the gun. I've put more than enough rounds through it to make sure it is reliable with the mags and ammo I use.

my main practice gun is a steel framed 9mm Commander. Both of these guns work just fine. I use Wilson Combat ETM 10-round magazines for practice and training, and a 9 round mag plus one in the chamber for carry.

All that said, I still believe 9mm 1911s are a little less likely to work right out of the box than 45s. You are more likely to have to experiment with different magazines and possibly ammo with the 9mm guns. But once proven, a 9mm LWC makes for an excellent carry pistol. Heck, so does the 45.

User Tag List