Page 63 of 68 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465 ... LastLast

Thread: Seriously considering going back to the 1911 for carry. Anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    I agree.

I have not used this gun for duty use for quite some time. That image was from last year. I was carrying other 1911 platforms for a while and decided to move a bunch of guns to try and get into an ACW. I have been carrying my LTT for a spell.

While this piece has about 13K through the tube..... the amount of dry fires exceed that amount. I put the factory MIM part back on for temp and ordered a couple of EGW FPS.
    Would you have given that mcop a full inspection before putting it back into service?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    Would you have given that mcop a full inspection before putting it back into service?
    I would have but I am disappointed in myself for not catching the crack. The camera views I posted are blown up and my eyes are not want they used to be. I ran a fingernail over the crack and it will catch in the crack.

Definitely a learning experience. What I also dont know is how long this crack has been staring at me.
    Last edited by SW CQB 45; 10-06-2019 at 09:48 PM.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

In case anyone is interested. I have a Vigil 9mm commander headed my way. Going to put it to the test and see how reliable she is. Did not have Wilson money and form all my research and talking to people with various 9mm 1911s. Dan Wesson seemed like the obvious choice. I will report back to how she feels, shoots and most important RELIABILITY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    There's the man who would complain about being hung with a new rope. "Oh, my life is so bad I'll have to use the pistol with the best trigger ever." I focus on my Berettas, but a week ago I took a 1911 just because. Smoked 'The Test' cold and then went straight to 25 yards and wondered why I don't carry it instead of the pizza gun.
    Haha. I can see how that comment came off that way.

I like to use a single gun to carry and shoot, 100% of the time. My back won't let me do that with a 1911, at least until I get it all worked out, whatever that's going to entail. So I jumped back into Glocks with a 48, and was really disappointed in the almost immediate wrist and elbow pain (again). I mean, come on, can I catch a break?

So the comment about "having to go back to 1911's" was made while pretty discouraged at the reality that my do-all Glock 48 idea was a bust, and my only carry option for 10hr work days is a J frame or nothing at all. The 1911's are for home and short trips. I don't like the idea of using two guns, never have, never will, but it's my reality for now.

But yeah, I'm back to 1911's as far as my main focus, with the 9mm CCO being the best all around choice for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    In case anyone is interested. I have a Vigil 9mm commander headed my way. Going to put it to the test and see how reliable she is. Did not have Wilson money and form all my research and talking to people with various 9mm 1911s. Dan Wesson seemed like the obvious choice. I will report back to how she feels, shoots and most important RELIABILITY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Looking forward to your report. I've been looking closely at a DW Vigil Commander 9mm for those same reasons.

back together. Not ready for duty yet. Probably first of 2020. I want to put some serious rounds down range during my days off in Dec.
    Probably replace the firing pin and spring during inspection after my range time

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    back together. Not ready for duty yet. Probably first of 2020. I want to put some serious rounds down range during my days off in Dec.
    Probably replace the firing pin and spring during inspection after my range time

I respect this. I know the original poster of this thread had some beautiful 1911s and for some reason couldn't trust them even though I don't recall whether he ever had a grip safety issue or otherwise. I think one could do much worse than carry slabsides.

I have carried a 1911 almost exclusively for the past 2-3 years with the occasional P30 carry and practice. I truly believe that if the cards are down, the 1911 style of pistol and the time I have behind it would give me the best performance advantage.

With that said, this and the other thread on keeping the 1911 running have demonstrated the importance for keeping a dedicated carry gun with a low round count, I'd say. I have been working on transitioning to a Colt government for carry within the last week or so and will wring it out in live fire this weekend to see if or where adjustments need to be made on the gun and then take it from there. Even though I haven't really left this type of pistol, my passion certainly has been reignited.

With that said, this and the other thread on keeping the 1911 running have demonstrated the importance for keeping a dedicated carry gun with a low round count...
    I’d say that’s good advice for any brand gun, especially for the many high volume shooters on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I’d say that’s good advice for any brand gun, especially for the many high volume shooters on this forum.
    Exactly.

my maintenance for my 1911 is
    -lube every 750
    -clean every 1500
    -change hammer and firing pin every 5000
    -recoil spring every 10.000 (flatwire)

Not a bad maintenance schedule.. I have seen 4 glock 19s break now within the first 5000 rounds. All from slide stop springs snapping and making it almost impossible to get the slide back in battery. One happened within the first 2000 rounds of the gun.

one of my biggest issues (with any pistol) is my hand size.

A few years ago....I noticed some of my further shots..... 15 and 25 yards would drift right. I could not figure out what was happening. I may have recently diagnosed the issue.... (hand size)

my primary (right) hand does not feel grip pressure front and back..... since my fingers wrap around and cover the majority of the non ejection side grip..... I feel grip pressure at 10 o'clock and pushing toward 4 o'clock.

I feel the same grip on my Beretta LTT.

When I return to 1911.... I need to focus on gripping pressure front and back. I thought "Chub" grips were the fix.... but I feel they are harder for my support to grip around my primary hand....especially when sweaty.

I plan on replacing the El Cheapo grips with 10-8 Signature Scoop when I can find a set or when Hilton restocks them.

User Tag List