Page 53 of 68 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast

Thread: Seriously considering going back to the 1911 for carry. Anyone else?

Well, since I started this 50+ page 1911 love-fest, after a couple months of shooting/evaluating, I've settled on a new carry gun over my current HK P30LS in 9mm.

No, the 1911 did not replace. Strange enough, I'm ending up switching to the HK USP 45 Fullsize.

I still love 1911s, but the hurdles I couldn't get over were:

- 8+1 capacity
    - reduced reliability
    - increased maintenance (from what I am used to with HKs)

The USP 45 Expert/USP 45 Fullsize won me over for the following reasons:

- the USP Match trigger in SA mode is pretty darn nice
    - easily as accurate as a 1911
    - felt recoil (to me) is less than either the 1911 or HK45
    - reliability, lubrication sensitivity, durability and corrosion resistance is all greater than a 1911 at significant less cost
    - 12+1 rd capacity in .45 Auto

Lastly, and most importantly, I personally found the rumors of the USP 45s size drastically overstated. It's not a small pistol by any means, but it's overall footprint was similar to my 1911 with a magwell and only a negligible difference from the P30L (especially in height, which for me is the main issue with concealing AIWB).

Here's the giant USP 45 Expert next to a P30L.

Anyway, I won't post anymore about HKs in this thread.

Back to the regularly scheduled 1911 love...

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Rose View Post
    Well, since I started this 50+ page 1911 love-fest, after a couple months of shooting/evaluating, I've settled on a new carry gun over my current HK P30LS in 9mm.

No, the 1911 did not replace. Strange enough, I'm ending up switching to the HK USP 45 Fullsize.

- 8+1 capacity
    - reduced reliability

- reliability, lubrication sensitivity, durability and corrosion resistance is all greater than a 1911 at significant less cost

Lastly, and most importantly, I personally found the rumors of the USP 45s size drastically overstated. It's not a small pistol by any means, but it's overall footprint was similar to my 1911 with a magwell and only a negligible difference from the P30L (especially in height, which for me is the main issue with concealing AIWB).

Can't fault you for that decision. Sometimes grown ups gotta grown up.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Hunter Rose, I've really enjoyed this thread, both the 1911 AND the HK love and discussion. I appreciate your comparison pics as well, they've added an interesting perspective on things.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."

I remember being impressed by the .45 USP my son purchased after he returned from his first Iraq deployment... a very pleasant handgun, that.

In my own situation, my increasing respect for 1911s and 640/940 J-frames doesn't preclude my still relying on what works (for me) as EDC: the Beretta PX4 SC and a lone, somewhat loose and raggedy spurless DAO SP101. The former is an acquired taste that I kept second-guessing for a couple of years until I finally "got" the whole "thing" about decockers, and the latter is sort of the family's rabbit's foot/four-leaf clover of "bet-my-life-on-it" reliability. Go figure. Nonetheless, I can't help but wish I had ignored about 90% of the defensive handguns I just HAD to have over the years.

gn

- 8+1 capacity
    - reduced reliability
    Getting the 1911 to the reliability level of the HK is certainly not as sure a thing as just buying the HK. That said, if you do get one, i don’t know if the maintenance is necessarily more.

I have twice as many 1911/2011s as HKs. Half are just as reliable, and half not so much. Whereas, all the HKs are equally reliable. It does take extra commitment.

You made a fine choice, for sure.

- 8+1 capacity
    - reduced reliability

Nothing wrong with your choice..Myself, after I got my USPc 45, sorted, that I got in a trade, (dawson sights, LEM conversion). I've been using it as my EDC, I usually carry a reload, and, if I feel I need to, I have two elephant's foot 10rnd mags, as well as some new 10rnd HK45 mags left from when I had my HK45, that slide right in the USP's magwell.. I basically went with the USP for reliabilty, but mainly for corrosion resistance reason's that you did, Accuracy wise, it's no slouch, either.. And, I'll shut up about HK's too..Name:  20190729_102111.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  39.4 KB
    Last edited by ralph; 08-18-2019 at 01:44 PM.

I think I'll start a separate thread on the USP 45 used in a CCW role. Mainly since this thread skews more 1911 specific and GJM's thread is focused more on the USP 45 as a field gun/bear weapon in 45 Super.
    Last edited by Hunter Rose; 08-18-2019 at 04:03 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    In the P-F tradition of giant threads, I suggest making it all-inclusive of all slab-sided USPs. Since it will be anyway...
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 08-18-2019 at 05:06 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

New thread for the USP 45 / USP's in general as carry guns is up:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....1)-Anyone-else

At the parents house today, got a little trigger time. Have a disco issue to sort out on the CCO later this week. My ratty Spring Field got a test with a Harris small radius fps and 18lbs recoil spring. 100%, softer recoil impulse and tracked back to target without extra barrel dip.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

User Tag List