Page 37 of 68 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread: Seriously considering going back to the 1911 for carry. Anyone else?

This is my current duty carry.

I dont work the streets but drive a desk in uniform and work security gigs for extra duty.

The older I got, the more I wanted alloy frame. Our dept is on the last year of switching from .45 to 9mm. While we still have some 230 FMJ..... it will eventually run out and the dept will not buy anymore.

I purchased a DW Valkyrie Commander (alloy frame) 9mm, by far one of the best out of the box purchases I have made. The only thing I did to it was add a Harrison black trigger (cosmetic), fiber optic front and WC BP alloy magwell. The gun shoots great (initially sent back as front sight height was off POA POI at 25 yards). I only parked this because of the inherent finickiness for downloading 9mm mags. The gun runs 100%, but the issues start when I have to download a mag by hand (which we do alot in training)

I decided to try out a Springer Champion Operator in .45. I found mine used for 6 bills on GB. It was bone stock and appeared to have been hardly shot. What I found amazing about this pistol is how clean the factory MIM action broke. It was in my opinion perfect for duty carry and I adjusted it break at 5 lbs. I had an old Ed Brown 2 pc magwell laying around, I had an old 10-8 rear sight and put a black Harrison trigger for cosmetic. I also put a 10-8 mag release that I also had and traded for a new .200 EGW slide stop. I did dump the stupid recoil spring assembly with a factory flat wire set up that is much easier to disassemble. One last thing I had laying around from another gun was a WC BP Ambi thumb safety. When I installed, the trigger would have the slightest snick and I would see the hammer move. So I sent it to a micro welder and he laid a thin bead on the lug and I refit the TS and it works perfect.

I have about 500 trouble free rounds through this piece. Other than me used to Nina, this piece kicks like a Mule. .45 mags are easy to download by hand. I needed to learn the timing of double taps with this snappy .45 .... I could not double tap the same rate as 9mm and my second shot was high. I like it and will carry it for a while.

My biggest issue with set up is duty holsters. I am having to cut 5" holsters and currently working on a 6360 with a light.

What I am getting at..... for a lower end priced piece..... its a great performer.

Last edited by SW CQB 45; 06-19-2019 at 10:29 PM.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    That is just cool

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    Thanks
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Translation = Do it, get rid of everything else. Get you a 9mm 1911 or some type (EDC X9 would be the choice).
    I'm about 90% sure I'm going for round two of "fire-sale everything and buy a Wilson", this time a LW CCO sized 9mm or EDC X9. My last Commander shot great, but it was too heavy (steel frame). 1911 is what I've carried most of my adult life, so it's what I'm most comfortable with. Just need a lighter version.

Doing the TRS and a J Frame until I figure out which 9mm I'm after.
    Last edited by StraitR; 07-06-2019 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    I'm about 90% sure I'm going for round two of "fire-sale everything and buy a Wilson", this time a LW CCO sized 9mm or EDC X9. My last Commander shot great, but it was too heavy (steel frame). 1911 is what I've carried most of my adult life, so it's what I'm most comfortable with. Just need a lighter version.

Doing the TRS and a J Frame until I sell off all the Glocks, Acro, and support gear, then figure out which 9mm I'm after.
    I knew it. I even told you so last November:

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    You’ll be back. They always come back.

I have another Wilson being built, and have been thinking about selling my 9mm LW Commander to free up some cash. Let me know if you’re interested, when you make up your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    I knew it. I even told you so last November:

I have another Wilson being built, and have been thinking about selling my 9mm LW Commander to free up some cash. Let me know if you’re interested, when you make up your mind.

Haha. You did, you and @theJanitor both.

My current thought is....

Ultralight Carry Compact 9mm
    Black AT slide, Black AT frame, Black AT small parts.
    Omit all markings
    Add Ambi safety, Ameriglo front tritium sight, and French Walnut grips.

I don't necessarily care about the fluffy bits like milling, fluting, and recessed barrel, but it does make it that much lighter, which is priority number one on this gun. When I had my steel framed Wilson Commander, that was what I wished I had bought, so that's where my head is at. Still considering other models though, but likely going with the gut on this one. Need to offload three Glocks (43, 19.5, 45 MOS), Acro, and a couple other handguns still cluttering up the safe from the last fire-sale first.

How long did they quote you on the build you're waiting for? And unless it's a surprise, do tell please.

Haha. You did, you and @theJanitor both.

My current thought is....

Ultralight Carry Compact 9mm
    Black AT slide, Black AT frame, Black AT small parts.
    Omit all markings
    Add Ambi safety, Ameriglo front tritium sight, and French Walnut grips.

I don't necessarily care about the fluffy bits like milling, fluting, and recessed barrel, but it does make it that much lighter, which is priority number one on this gun. When I had my steel framed Wilson Commander, that was what I wished I had bought, so that's where my head is at. Still considering other models though, but likely going with the gut on this one. Need to offload three Glocks (43, 19.5, 45 MOS), Acro, and a couple other handguns still cluttering up the safe from the last fire-sale first.

How long did they quote you on the build you're waiting for? And unless it's a surprise, do tell please.
    It will probably be about 6 months on my current build, which means I should have it in the Fall. The aluminum-framed guns take a little longer because they send them off to be anodized.

My current build is an aluminum-framed XTAC Commander in .45. From what I understand, it will be one of a kind, as they haven’t built an XTAC Commander before. My dealer had to go back and forth with them a few times before they could figure out how the order would be done.

I really like their Ameriglo front sight. I have one on my 9mm and they are putting one on my new .45, as well.

So, I went a different way than a new Wilson. Thought I'd try a DW, and this is the result. Valkyrie 9mm CCO. Sadly, it dawned on me while driving home from worth that I had either passed along or sold all my AIWB 1911 holsters.

Anyone know anyone who stocks a decent AIWB somewhere, to at least tide me over?

So, I went a different way than a new Wilson. Thought I'd try a DW, and this is the result. Valkyrie 9mm CCO. Sadly, it dawned on me while driving home from worth that I had either passed along or sold all my AIWB 1911 holsters.

Anyone know anyone who stocks a decent AIWB somewhere, to at least tide me over?

The only two I have experience with are JMCK and Alpha Concealment. Alpha has a 3-4 week wait. I don't know anyone that has "in stock" and decent at the same time.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

or how about an old Bianchi thin suede IWB just to hold you over to you get what you want?

my body type dont allow AIWB so I am not sure if this would be the best option for that method of carry, but its a cheap alternative if you have to wait a month or two.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

I stock several. Pm me with what you need.
    Ignore Alien Orders

User Tag List