Page 38 of 68 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: Seriously considering going back to the 1911 for carry. Anyone else?

Quick stop by the range for initial function check. Only put one box of Fiocchi 115gr and 25 rounds of Hornady Critical Duty 124gr +p through it. Performed a modified 10-8 extractor test with the Hornady CD. 5rds two handed, 5rounds SHO, and 5rds with mag in to check lock back, all ejecting between 3-5:00. Would have liked to do the actual 8 rounds each, but didn't remember until after running 10 of the Hornady through the gun.

It's only been about eight months since I sold my Wilson, but I was reminded today of how soft 9mm 1911's shoot. It seemed to feel a bit softer than my steel framed 4" Wilson did. Possibly the longer and heavier slide on this CCO has something to do with it. Also, DW uses different firing pin stop geometry than Wilson, with the latter being more rounded. Could be a difference in main spring weights as well. Either way, it's crazy soft, even with the +p Critical Duty.

Shoots high, so I'll be replacing the front sight. I really like the DW rear. I know DW will replace the front with a taller sight, but I want a bright orange Ameriglo/Trijicon HD type. Ed Brown has a Novak cut HD XR front sight that's .180 tall and .125 wide, which should be just the ticket.

Overall, I quite happy with it. Looking forward to shooting it more.

Pictures aren't overly blurry, I printed the targets at work and didn't pay attention to the resolution when doing so.

First 10 shots at 5 yards. Fiocchi 115gr

Flipped the target for next 5 shots at 5 yards. Clearly shooting high. Fiocchi 115gr

And best shot I could get with crappy indoor range lighting. Salvaged by Snapseed.
    Last edited by StraitR; 07-17-2019 at 10:26 PM.

Site Supporter
    The Dan Wesson 9mm guns are known for being soft shooting, and I think it is at least in part due to the firing pin stop geometry as you mentioned. I've never fired one, and it's hard for me to imagine a 9mm 1911 that shoots softer than my Colts -- but that's what I've read elsewhere.

Anyway, cool gun! And I like those full checkered stocks.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I rabbit-holed this whole thread last night. I've had a STAS infection lately around the 9mm Valor Commander (not the first time), which was exacerbated by renting the local square range's all-steel 5-in. Springer 9mm and seeing the accuracy results discussed here.

When I got to the end, I went to the safe and pulled out the P220. Dang, I'd forgotten how nice that thing is. The default version is a lightweight, commander-sized TDA. Feels so right in the hand; the checkered G10 Hogue fits my hand better than any 1911 I've handled. Slimmer than doubles, but not sooo slim. Slick DA, thoroughly decent SA. Magazines are easy: buy OE Sig 8-rd mags and they just work. There are all-steel, long-slide and SAO variants if you're into that kind of thing. It doesn't hurt that I picked up this one used; applying some rationalization math (it came with a bunch of extra mags), the price was equivalent to finding it in an LGS case for ~$320 before tax and the frame appeared virtually brand new when I got it. May have to tempt my elbow tendonitis by shooting .45 for awhile.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I rabbit-holed this whole thread last night. I've had a STAS infection lately around the 9mm Valor Commander (not the first time), which was exacerbated by renting the local square range's all-steel 5-in. Springer 9mm and seeing the accuracy results discussed here.

When I got to the end, I went to the safe and pulled out the P220. Dang, I'd forgotten how nice that thing is. The default version is a lightweight, commander-sized TDA. Feels so right in the hand; the checkered G10 Hogue fits my hand better than any 1911 I've handled. Slimmer than doubles, but not sooo slim. Slick DA, thoroughly decent SA. Magazines are easy: buy OE Sig 8-rd mags and they just work. There are all-steel, long-slide and SAO variants if you're into that kind of thing. It doesn't hurt that I picked up this one used; applying some rationalization math (it came with a bunch of extra mags), the price was equivalent to finding it in an LGS case for ~$320 before tax and the frame appeared virtually brand new when I got it. May have to tempt my elbow tendonitis by shooting .45 for awhile.
    I love P220's. Maybe my favorite pistol of all time.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Can I just say that these 2 1911s started it all
    for me?

GRP recon and a Springfield Pro with the CRG serial number.

No I don't have either, but they're lust pistols for sure.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Larry Sellers; 07-19-2019 at 01:47 PM.
    Look! Just because we're bereaved, that doesn't make us saps!

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    It seemed to feel a bit softer than my steel framed 4" Wilson did. Possibly the longer and heavier slide on this CCO has something to do with it. Also, DW uses different firing pin stop geometry than Wilson, with the latter being more rounded. Could be a difference in main spring weights as well.
    I have zero experience with the Wilson's but my DW Guardian came with a flat wound spring. Could that be part of the soft recoil equation? As a shooter, mine has been stellar, about 3,000 rounds into it so far.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Shoots high, so I'll be replacing the front sight. I really like the DW rear. I know DW will replace the front with a taller sight, but I want a bright orange Ameriglo/Trijicon HD type. Ed Brown has a Novak cut HD XR front sight that's .180 tall and .125 wide, which should be just the ticket.
    Good find on the HD XR...[RANT] but why the hell are these sights Ed Brown exclusives? Ameriglo/Trijicon (they're the same company now, right?) are really annoying with these exclusive sight deals that have chopped up ProGlo/HD XR offerings between Ed Brown, Kensight, Lipseys, Wilson...Could we make this harder for the customer? How hard is it to list all the sights available for a pistol in one place?

The color/height/width combination you need is probably out there...somewhere....[/RANT]
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Good find on the HD XR...[RANT] but why the hell are these sights Ed Brown exclusives? Ameriglo/Trijicon (they're the same company now, right?) are really annoying with these exclusive sight deals that have chopped up ProGlo/HD XR offerings between Ed Brown, Kensight, Lipseys, Wilson...Could we make this harder for the customer? How hard is it to list all the sights available for a pistol in one place?

The color/height/width combination you need is probably out there...somewhere....[/RANT]

Anyone know if the Ed Brown rear sights will fit the Novak low mount dovetail on a Wesson? Their adjustable rear sight looks like something I'd like to try.
    Real guns have hammers.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post

My guess is that like many improvements that you see on a 1911, Ed Brown came up with the design and he would like to get some compensation for his efforts.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Sellers View Post
    Can I just say that these 2 1911s started it all
    for me?

GRP recon...

^^^I’ve shot that exact GRP in the pic. One of the first Nighthawk GRPs, and a damn fine shooter.

#wouldfingerbangagain
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List