Page 6 of 68 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: Seriously considering going back to the 1911 for carry. Anyone else?

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post

If you've already got the SME for the 1911, and it's a well built piece (by the pics, I'm assuming so), AND you shoot it the best, it's a reasonable choice.

I've got a Colt in transit to MARS right now, to update into a EDC piece

The pistol above is a MARS gun. You'll be happy with their work.

I'll be sending MARS another Colt to get made identically, and probably another one for the Golfball frontstrap/backstrap treatment and weld-on Maxwell. Steve's a great guy to deal with and his shop builds a great gun. Just be patient when it's getting built, as the build time sometimes takes longer than the estimates given.

Probably going to buy a Wilson CQB or Guncrafter No Name configured the same as the above gun to serve as the range training/beater gun.

My other gun is a Harrison Colt.

Last edited by Hunter Rose; 04-20-2019 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Rose View Post
    The pistol above is a MARS gun. You'll be happy with their work.

I'll be sending MARS another Colt to get made identically, and probably another one for the Golfball frontstrap/backstrap treatment and weld-on Maxwell. Steve's a great guy to deal with and his shop builds a great gun. Just be patient when it's getting built, as the build time sometimes takes longer than the estimates given.

Probably going to buy a Wilson CQB or Guncrafter No Name configured the same as the above gun to serve as the range training/beater gun.
    Yeah, I was thinking your pistol looked like Steve's work. I've seen firsthand, two builds that took two years apiece. So I'm expecting a long wait for a couple of simple things I'm asking for. I hope Steve can pull off what I'm asking for

Personally, I've parked the custom 1911's for the Wilson EDC X9. it addresses all the shortcomings of custom 1911's, except the price of admission
    Last edited by theJanitor; 04-20-2019 at 02:42 PM.

Based on what you said about your infrequent training and you are better with the 1911 without constant training then one should carry the 1911. I do have a couple of points to make based on my opinion.
    1) I reject the idea that a 1911 has to be expensive to work. My baseline is a Colt [or Springfield] I have no experience with any other brand. I don't carry my Colt .38 super so I don't mind abusing it. Last I cleaned it was Dec 2017. I shoot it then put it away and lube when it looks dry. Over the past 4 years it's been through 2X 2000 round no lube, no clean tests. It came through just fine, no broken parts and I found out what kind of mags and ammo it likes to function perfectly. I would carry it if I didn't have anything lighter to carry. It does get used in 2 gun matches.

2) There are a few double stack 9mm SAO's out there. I currently have a CZ 75 SAO and I used to have a SIG P226 SAO. Both are great IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Call bob Reeves at Nighthawk. He'll square you away.

He installed the RMR on my LW CCO. He also just confirmed that he can do the RMR install on a tri-top Wilson EDC X9, and fab up a front sight (the EDC X9 sight is proprietary)
    Going to wait a few more years for something with the reliability track record of a Aimpoint Comp series optic before I put it on it. So glock for the next few years.

Site Supporter
    I rented a Springfield Milspec recently. Just for the hell of it. Hadn't picked up a 1911 in 2 or 3 years.

Teeny little group. Dead center. 10 yards.

Handed it to my new-to-shooting girlfriend... they're all touching.

I've never been seriously drawn to 1911s. But if I sit down and think about everything I like/want/value in a handgun: Crisp SA trigger, Single stack, Thin slide, Decent safety/decocker, Puts rounds where I put the freakin' sights.

Sounds like a 1911.

On top of that, I've had a great experience with a Browning Hi Power I picked up this Fall. It's probably my favorite shooter at this point, and the gun I shoot best with. It always impresses on paper and it gave me some very respectable strings in a recent steel match. And... it doesn't bust my beltline riding IWB. Though the grip is a little fat.

So, suffice to say, I'm "seeing the light" in a thin-carrying, SAO platform. I kinda want a traditional government 45. But, heresy aside, I kinda want a compact 9mm (like a Staccato C) more. I don't have Wilson/Brown money at this point in my life (short of a personal loan)... so... we'll see what form that desire takes.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    If the gun works well and you can run it well, I don't think it makes a ton of difference what you're carrying. Everything's got upsides and downsides.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Except bacon. That’s pretty much all upside.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Rose View Post
    All classes were with either a USP Fullsize 9mm or a P30LS 9mm.

It's been a couple years since I've done a class, so I'm probably due for one. If I do go the 1911 route I'd like to do one just for the volume of rounds/repetitions to wring out a new gun.
    It appears you have the blessing of the hivemind.

But the only thing I'll have left to say is that bringing your 1911s to a ~thousand round two day class or something along those lines -- for the first time -- may be the only thing needed to bring your reconciliation with them full circle ever since the day you took them back to the range.

And a higher count class really isn't that bad with full power .45. I don't notice any measure difference in joint or hand soreness from something like a p30.

Also, the evidence locker concept used to bother me but doesn't anymore. I've become more cognizant of what the aftermath will be (legal, societal, mental aspects) no matter what the circumstances are than worrying about my Wilson rotting away.

I am with you

This one will soon make the carry approval. Still working on sights.

Last edited by SW CQB 45; 04-21-2019 at 01:18 PM.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

User Tag List