Page 36 of 68 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: Seriously considering going back to the 1911 for carry. Anyone else?

Do we have a list of acceptable base guns, either in production or not, that we agree are a good starting point for a carry 1911 on a budget? By good starting point, I mean that the end product keeps more original parts than just the slide and frame. For example, I find the Colt O1991 (the basic Series '80 Government Model) to be a good base gun with an excellent barrel. The Colt slide stop is also a great part. The Colt GI recoil spring system parts are also good to go. The fire control parts can provide an excellent trigger. The biggest issue with these guns are sharp edges, too loose of a barrel bushing, and a poorly fit thumb safety that feels mushy when pushed OFF safe. Fix those issues and the result is a great 1911.

I see others have recommended a couple of the Wiley Clapp variants. I would also suggest the SA Mil-Spec even though it lacks a firing pin safety. The titanium firing pin seems to do the job and is more durable than I expected based on my small sample.

I would not recommend the Series II Kimbers as the firing pin safety can be easily damaged during field stripping or assembly. Removing the rear sight is required to deal with the safety, which I find problematic. I like firing pin safeties (see SIG P320 for why these are good things), but I find the Kimber solution problematic.

Just my thoughts; others may disagree. But the aggregate opinion may be useful to people looking to carry a 1911.

I personally don't see the lack of a firing pin safety as a drawback on a 1911. Most 1911s never had one to begin with. The old Kimber Series I guns were some of the best built 1911s out there, and now often bring premium prices if you can find one at all, and they didn't have an FPS either. Simply don't sweep the safety off until your sights are on target.

I am planning my purchase for the end of the month, have settled on a Dan Wesson Vigil 9mm commander. Seems like it is the best bang for the buck out there. Very excited to get back into a 1911. I have looked at a few different options and the Vigil is well ahead for my budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Do we have a list of acceptable base guns, either in production or not, that we agree are a good starting point for a carry 1911 on a budget? By good starting point, I mean that the end product keeps more original parts than just the slide and frame. For example, I find the Colt O1991 (the basic Series '80 Government Model) to be a good base gun with an excellent barrel. The Colt slide stop is also a great part. The Colt GI recoil spring system parts are also good to go. The fire control parts can provide an excellent trigger. The biggest issue with these guns are sharp edges, too loose of a barrel bushing, and a poorly fit thumb safety that feels mushy when pushed OFF safe. Fix those issues and the result is a great 1911.

I see others have recommended a couple of the Wiley Clapp variants. I would also suggest the SA Mil-Spec even though it lacks a firing pin safety. The titanium firing pin seems to do the job and is more durable than I expected based on my small sample.

I would not recommend the Series II Kimbers as the firing pin safety can be easily damaged during field stripping or assembly. Removing the rear sight is required to deal with the safety, which I find problematic. I like firing pin safeties (see SIG P320 for why these are good things), but I find the Kimber solution problematic.

Just my thoughts; others may disagree. But the aggregate opinion may be useful to people looking to carry a 1911.
    It seems to me that the various high-end smiths are pretty much only doing builds on Colts or Springfields if starting with a base gun, otherwise Caspian frames/slides or their own bespoke frames/slides for full customs.

As far as suitable base guns, seems hard to beat a S70/S80 Colt for a customization project.

However, I think most folks are best to start by eyeballing everything in the Dan Wesson product line, before buying a Colt or Springfield to futz with.

___

That said, I have this unhealthy love of the Colt 1991A1 rollmarks. For some reason, perhaps the simplicity of the design itself, it appeals greatly to me. And I love custom guns on that particular platform (especially 5" Govt models). A 1991 with a bobbed hammer, a ducktail grip safety, stippled front grip strap, and Harrison Design or 10-8 rear sight, with a gold dot front - yea man. There is something about that setup which just beckons to me.

Probably because I still remember reading Chuck Taylor articles in the early to mid '90s and Chuck wrote several about customized 1991s.

Also the first 1911 I ever fired was actually a 1991 S80 Commander. Which I picked up and promptly shot the center of the target out at 10 yards and thought, "Oh yea, this is for me."
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 06-19-2019 at 09:02 PM.

Do we have a list of acceptable base guns, either in production or not, that we agree are a good starting point for a carry 1911 on a budget?
    Not really the direction this thread had taken, but I still think the Rugers are under rated, as they come out of the box.

The 1911 system strikes me as inherently more safe than the P320 given that in order for EVERYTHING to go wrong on a 1911 and NOT discharge into the dirt is orders of magnitude more unlikely than a P320 especially before the “voluntary upgrade”.

That said, I wouldn’t have any problem carrying a Series 70 1911. A Colt Series 80 would probably be icing on the cake. Maybe. But I never was THAT big a fan of icing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Not really the direction this thread had taken, but I still think the Rugers are under rated, as they come out of the box.
    I seem to recall a Primary and Secondary modcast in which some dude named Steve Fisher said that a Ruger SR1911 probably one of the better quality guns in the price range below Dan Wesson.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    I seem to recall a Primary and Secondary modcast in which some dude named Steve Fisher said that a Ruger SR1911 probably one of the better quality guns in the price range below Dan Wesson.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    My sample size is 2, but both of the ones I have handled and shoot have worked without a hitch. A few others I've handled are well put together. Dave Spalding seemed to have a positive view of their officer model in 9mm.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Yes, I heard the same. I have three of them, and have been pleased. Have changed sights and maybe the recoil springs, but the last two I didn't even touch the triggers.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    FYI - Not that I want to enable anyone, but it appears there are at least a few "Blem" Colt Special Combat Governments out there. Apparently a distributor found some scratched up ones, knocking the price down from around 2k to 1500.
    I noticed one such dealer has several "blem" Colts -- not just SCGs. Some seem to be bargains, others not so much. I see a lot of SCGs on GB around $1800 or so. A "blem" SCG at $1500 would get you a really good shooter for the money. They are very accurate guns because of the barrel fit, and are built with good parts.

User Tag List