Page 64 of 68 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 ... LastLast

Thread: Seriously considering going back to the 1911 for carry. Anyone else?

damn, those are some big mitts

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Anyone tried the Browning 1911-380, yet? 17.5 ounces unloaded, but with a 4.25” barrel in the “full size” model. That should actually give reliable penetration and performance with bonded JHPs. Apparently, because it’s a locked breech .380 with a 4.25” barrel, recoil spring weight is around 10-pounds. Which is probably great for those with compromised/complex strength issues. I’m thinking of getting one.
    After trying every .22 and .380 in the rental counter at the local range, that's what my mother shot best with. She is 75 and petite....4'11''.

My dad bought her this model:
    https://www.browning.com/products/fi...with-rail.html

It's the only gun she's ever enjoyed shooting. It is a fun little gun to handle and shoot. Hornady XTPs ought to do well.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Stuck this in the 1911 photo thread, but meant to post it here.

Factory front sight was shooting about 1.25" high at 10 yards. Everything I read said a .180 or .185 is likely the answer. I know DW would have swapped it out for free, but I prefer orange HD type front sights. Purchased an Ed Brown .180 tall HD XR front sight a couple months ago and finally got a chance to install it today. Wouldn't even start in the dovetail, so it took quite a bit of fitting.

The factory front was held in with a pin and red loctite. After removing the pin, the sight popped right off as soon as I broke the loctite. It was pretty obvious that the pin holes on the Brown weren't going to line up enough to use another pin, so I kept it the fit pretty snug. Applied cold blue to the sight after final bit of fitting, then installed. Won't get a chance to confirm poa/poi until next week, but I'm happy with the fit and sight picture.

Anyone looking for a 65 degree (novak) HD style front sight, particularly a .180 height, Brown has one HERE. It's a great option for DW owners.

^^^^^^
    I bought that sight and Ed Brown's rear night sight. My V-Bob is back at Dan Wesson to install the sights, as well as medium length smooth trigger. Hopefully the gun will fit me as I'm expecting it to.
    Real guns have hammers.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Stuck this in the 1911 photo thread, but meant to post it here.
    Anyone looking for a 65 degree (novak) HD style front sight, particularly a .180 height, Brown has one HERE. It's a great option for DW owners.

[/COLOR]
    Thanks for that. I just put a 1911 w/ Novak cut sights on layaway and prefer an orange front night sight.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Kensight also has thin Ameriglo ProGlo front sights in orange and yellow for Novak dovetails. A few different heights are available.

I'm a broken record on this, but Wilson Combat needs to offer a thin HD front sight option for their 1911s.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

^^^^ Nice. Those look to be a bit thinner at .118 than the .125 Brown HD sight.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    ^^^^ Nice. Those look to be a bit thinner at .118 than the .125 Brown HD sight.
    Either way is better than the Wilson offering at .140...

Novak now offers orange and yellow/green outline front sights:
    https://www.novaksights.com/Products.aspx?CAT=9480

Quote Originally Posted by Amp View Post
    Novak now offers orange and yellow/green outline front sights:
    https://www.novaksights.com/Products.aspx?CAT=9480
    Thanks for posting that. That's really intriguing.

I believe Wilson uses a proprietary front sight dovetail though...I wonder if Novak could install these on a Wilson 1911.

User Tag List